Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 10:48 pm

I don't think It has anything to do with that. You can get other family members genetics. so, that's probably it.

I have my great grandma (i think she's my great grandma, I forget) chin, ad i justdiscovered i have my aunts teeth.

snuuz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Dec 2007, 11:01 pm

I'm a 6' 4" male AS.

CentralFLM
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2007, 11:58 pm

No genetic correlation.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 12:10 am

I noticed that I'm seeing disproportionally few average sized people responding here. Are they just not responding or do we tend to be on the extremes of either end.

I am pretty tall but I'm not sure if that's because of AS.

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2007, 12:24 am

I'm 6'2"... Have been since I was 13 years old.

I don't see a link though, unless that Neanderthal theory is true! They were built! :D

mechanima
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 1:05 am

I am 6'0" (or i was, I think i shrunk a little bit with age) my kid brother is about 6'3" and also an Aspie...but I honestly don't know any other tall Aspies...

M

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 1:06 pm

My brothers and I are all in the 6 ft range. My older brother is slightly taller than me, but I'm the only one who's "on the spectrum". My mother hates it when we all tower over her. When was the last time they cleaned the top of the fridge anyway?

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 3:39 pm

If you think there is a correlation between AS and stature...

:roll:

autism_diva
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Dec 2007, 5:59 pm

I took a poll a few years ago on the Aspie Hangout (delphiforums) asking about height.

The average height for males was taller than the average male in the US (most respondents were in the US), the average height for females was shorter than the average female in the US. I used what I was learning in a stats class to do a mean and standard deviation and everything using what they reported. But there might be some serious selection bias there.

I'm a tall female, especially for my age. Younger women are more likely to be taller than ones born when I was (1959).

Anyway, there is some evidence that autistics tend to be either bigger or smaller than normal with either bigger or smaller heads.

In most measurements you find ASD people on the extremes, like they can be dyslexic or hyperlexic (of course some are in the middle but there's a tendency to split between the extremes).

Sotos syndrome is associated with ASDs and Sotos makes really big kids, though it's not gigantism.

Connective tissue disorders like Ehlers-Danlos seem to be associated with ASDs (in my opinion) and they tend to create people who are tall with disproportionately long arms and legs (like me and my ASD kid).

Women like Kassiane can have the Rett mutation and not have "full" Rett syndrome, but the mutation probably tends to make them small with small heads. I would guess that there are other genes working this way to make some ASD people smaller.

At the Asperger's high school in Maraga, CA (I visisted a couple of times) there were an unusual number of BIG young men. They were over 6 feet tall and were a little overweight. They had some short guys, too, and not too many in between. I think the girls were mostly normal height with one small one who had some obvious genetic/congenital involvement...

I didn't take data on them, but that's my impression.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 6:50 pm

I'm 5'2", my dad at his tallest was 5'11.75", and my mom at her tallest was 5'6.5", and my brothers are both tall (but I don't know how tall). Not sure how I happened.

autism_diva
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Dec 2007, 1:30 am

anbuend wrote:
I'm 5'2", my dad at his tallest was 5'11.75", and my mom at her tallest was 5'6.5", and my brothers are both tall (but I don't know how tall). Not sure how I happened.

:)

Just wanted to say "hi". Do you have an opinion, do you think the "typical" ASD female is like around 5'2" or shorter and the typical ASD male is like 6' plus?

My ex husband wouldn't fit that exactly but his brother is really tall. I have two tall brothers and one below average size offspring and one quite a bit bigger than average size offspring. My ex and I were about the same height, he might have been a half inch taller. I'm 5'9.5" or 5'10". In normal women's heels (2 inches) I'm 6'0" or thereabouts. In high heels I scare myself. 8O :)