Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Chuchulainn
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Dec 2007, 10:03 pm

My sister's a PA and she said there are tons of Aspies in Silicon Valley doing computer programming.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 10:04 pm

I was born there. That was before it was known as Silicon Valley.

SpaceStace
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Dec 2007, 10:45 pm

I used to live there - in college and for years afterwards. I miss it. It's totally unaffordable to live there now though. Unless you started an internet giant like some of my classmates. Sigh.

Yeah, tons of Aspie types and lots of NTs who are used to Aspies so we're not as weird to them as we are to people in other places.

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 12:36 am

I just moved from Palo Alto to New Jersey. Lived in Palo Alto for 60 years. Worked in the computer industry for awhile, and that wasn't my experience. Realities (at the present time) there are damned few jobs out there (take a ride in any industrial park...specifically the ones around Bernardo Ave in Sunnyvale....or actually out through the Stanford Industrial Park where Xerox PARC used to be. Or downt he Central Expressway. There are so many empty buildings there it's not funny.

I also worked at SRI in Menlo Park for a number of years. Lots of very eccentric people, but most with PhD's and when you got to talking to them (after you got to know them) they were just wrapped up in what they were doing. They wern't AS.

Which is not to say that I'm trying to be discouraging. I'm just telling you that with the economy what it is, if you've got a computer science degree (and you graduated at the top of your class) You MIGHT get a job out there. Otherwise, a lot of the maintenance that has to be done on programs has been outsourced overseas. I for one, don't want to move to India.

Beentheredonethat

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 1:03 am

THAT'S where the commune should be! OMG; I never thought of it! We should all move to our homeland, our promised land, Silicon Valley!

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 2:01 am

I actually mentioned Salt Lake City in another WP Thread when I was thinking of Silicone Valley.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Dec 2007, 5:56 am

I am sure their are plenty of both NT and AS individuals who do work at Silicon Valley. AS individuals make excellent computer people but just remember their are far more NT's obviosuly then AS individuals and I think their are plenty of NT people, some I know, who are just as good as any AS person when it comes to computers. Just because someone works with computers does not mean they have AS.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 6:02 am

woodsman25 wrote:
Just because someone works with computers does not mean they have AS.

It deserves to be quoted for it's the truth.

I wouldn't be caught dead working with computers.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Dec 2007, 6:30 am

Danielismyname wrote:
woodsman25 wrote:

I wouldn't be caught dead working with computers.

Hehehe, im flattered :oops: . Heh, seriously tho, while I dont mind computers, I dont know if I would like a job working with them. Data entry could be ok for a while, but they would have to pay me well cause I could not do it for life, too boring, that and I would probably get fat (tho I could use a little weight on my skinny ass). Im with you man, no computer work, its only for fun my computer.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 6:56 am

Danielismyname wrote:
woodsman25 wrote:

QFT!! !! !!

MOST work with computers because they can use excuses, cheat, and still make a good living.

I got into it without knowing how things would end up.

SpaceStace
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2007, 9:04 am

beentheredonethat wrote:
I just moved from Palo Alto to New Jersey. Lived in Palo Alto for 60 years.

Hey, I just moved from Mountain View to New Jersey (central NJ, commuting into the city every day)! Although I'd only been in Silicon Valley since my Stanford days. I was class of '92 so it's all my classmates who practically created the whole internet. I wasn't into computers so I'd often, quite often, find myself in social situations where I had not the slightest idea what anyone was talking about, which is more uncomfortable than the usual social awkwardness. But at the same time, I thought there were more Aspies there than there are here, and a great deal more tolerance for Aspie or geeky or just different behavior. And there you could be as comfortable/unfashionable as you wanted and no one cared, while here I feel immense pressure to waste money on fashion or be treated like dirt.

But Silicon Valley is way too expensive to live in now - while the housing price bubble never burst, the internet startup bubble burst long ago.

shaggydaddy
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2007, 12:32 pm

I am not in the valley, I am in the corporate headquarters heaven Calabasas, California.

I am a senior software engineer (Architect, coder, supervisor) for a big bank
10-20% of my co-workers are aspies, 98% of the people I deal with are "aspie tolerant"). It's really very nice to be in an environment where hyperfocus, obsessive design/organization, technical language (as opposed to emotional), and some of my other aspie traits are not just tolerated, they are treasured and well compensated.

It is like being home. Of course if I could get in at google or yahoo or the other giants I would do it in a heart beat... but I am glad to live and work where I do.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Dec 2007, 6:29 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Danielismyname wrote:
woodsman25 wrote:

QFT!! !! !!

MOST work with computers because they can use excuses, cheat, and still make a good living.

I got into it without knowing how things would end up.

dumb question... what does QFT mean? :oops:

shaggydaddy
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2007, 6:45 pm

woodsman25 wrote:
dumb question... what does QFT mean? :oops:

Quoted For Truth

Here is a search you can use

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 10:51 pm

I grew up in Silicon Valley, but I'd rather move somewhere else along the west coast after school.

cdarwin
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Dec 2007, 3:11 am

Here is a nice link.

http://www.autisticsociety.org/News/art ... d=773.html

Here is another one.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12 ... rs_pr.html

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXIIN_wCzwg[/youtube]