Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Scar
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Dec 2007, 11:57 am

For the past couple of years, I've been working on a story (fantasy, horror, sci-fi) True to my style, it's a critque on society. My character almost qualifies for Asperger Syndrome, but not quite. He gets spectral powers in a very painful explosion. (cliche, I know) From then on, he has to deal with almost everyone, ghost and human.

True, he may defend others, but he is no hero, at least in the comic book sense. As time goes on, he becomes crueler and tempted by the dark side. In spite of what he does for others, he is almost universally hated in both identities. there is even an extremist group intending to destroy him and all other ghosts. Obviously, as his power grows, the harder it is to keep control of himself. It's meant to repersent society's intolerance to what it considers different.

I haven't decided for sure, but I don't think he's going to have a happy ending. In return for defeating a terrible enemy, he is tried for "crimes against humanity" and sentenced to death. He's hardly free of flaws, but he never deserved that.

It'll likely take a long time to finish. I finished the first book a few months ago, which is about 106,000 words just by itself. A great deal of the latter two in the series centers around fighting the group of ghost hunters, along with a friend who stabbed him in the back, trying to survive the adult world, and keeping his own darkness under control.

So what do you think?

Mindtear
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 12:16 pm

Awsomeness, i hate those soppy Hollywood endings. Sounds like a good old power corrupts story, i would love to read it when its finished.

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 5:35 pm

oh oh, *waves hand vigorously in the air* Can I sign up for the beta? :)

Immured
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2007, 6:33 pm

Sounds like a good story on the whole.
I can't stand cliches though.

Scar
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Dec 2007, 3:34 am

Hey, that's precisely what I'm trying to avoid. Happy endings honestly annoy me, since I see them as unrealistic. His power corrupts him, but his coldness is mainly a survival tactic.

Besides, I end up making fun of the cliches, particularly the evil villain speeches. It actually becomes his job to take out threats. I have to change some things, though, so I won't get sued. I've based this somewhat on Danny Phantom, though this is much darker than the cartoon.

My character is a decent guy, or at least he starts out as one. Just so you know: it's not for the faint of heart.