Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

tear
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Dec 2004, 3:51 pm

I just recently stumbled across AS. I have been reading everything I can for the last few days. I have come to realize I either have AS or share many qualities. I have identified with all the stories told by people with AS and have found them to describe my life perfectly. I am a 15 year old boy and have a birthday next month. Im in high school.
My point is people have always asked me things such as what is the matter? Now that I know the reason why I feel the way I do I really wanna tell someone.
I have a friend (the closest thing I have had in years anyway. You know cause of the anti-social thing) at school that I want to talk with. Really I have never really told anyone anything about me but have always wanted to. Well today I told her I might have AS. I told her a couple things about it like not able to read body gestures, not able to express myself, rarely being truly "happy" and never having anyone to really talk to.
She seemed to get what I was saying which made me feel great. I wasn't expecting her to take it that well. I really want to tell her the more serious things like the stress I get just from having a conversation, how I havent had a hug in years, or how distressing something like a surprise assembly at school can be.
I'm not sure exactly how to tell her or if I even should. I want to wait at least a few days to let what I already told her to sink in. I'm sure she is having a hard enough time with what I already told her.I'm really struggling with this and any help would be appreciated.

Catffienated
Toucan
Toucan

06 Dec 2004, 3:59 pm

I was nervous about telling my friend too; but I'm really relieved I did! She's nice and points out to me when I'm doing something odd by using a secret hand signal. (sounds weird, but works) She also helps me get used to things like assemblies, sitting with groups, lunch, etc. because she introduces me to her friends by pointing out something we have in common. I've made two new friends that way! (she didn't tell them about the AS, either) For some other people's responses, you can look at my post for a while ago called "To Tell or Not to Tell?"

tear
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Dec 2004, 4:07 pm

Thanks. One thing Im worried about is answering questions like what exactly it is like for me. I can't really think of a way to tell her. I have a good article. I'm thinking about letting her read an article like this and talking to her about my own personal experiences.

sparkplugloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2004, 5:16 pm

I also posted quite recently about whether to tell or not to tell students about AS. After reading the posts, I decided to tell people and those who know took it rather well. The ones I see most often do not know about it though, but I think I will tell them one day or the other, because I make as many efforts as I can and I am physically and mentally tired to do it all the time.

I think that letting her read an article about it and then explaining what you have is a good have. Personnally, I drew and wrote something about AS on my notepad ; this is how the discussion started with two students.