Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

aarghapanda
Raven
Raven

14 Aug 2008, 11:23 am

My boyfriend is an Aspie and has a very unusual sleep pattern. He doesn't become tired until 3am (by which time I am fast asleep) and often wakes me up at 2am ish and we get laid. Is this an Aspie thing or just a him thing? I don't mind being woken up at absurd times for sex because fair play, he's bangable, but I am curious ... are there any ways I can get the dude to sleep at a reasonable time?
Furthermore, anyone else irritable as hell in the morning? Even after plenty of sleep?

Any advice is much appreciated, as always.

HRH Swan

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 11:53 am

Sounds like you're not getting enough sound sleep, solid REM sleep. You don't always have to put out during the wee hours, you know. Pretty soon, this lack of sleep wil erode your mental and physical health to point where you won't be able to have sex at all. Sleep you need more than sex. Good luck! :wink:

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 12:37 pm

One of the symptoms of Asperger's syndrome is having f****d up sleep patterns. I don't really sleep much, and when I do sleep I never get a good night's sleep, it just doens't happen. I've been told this is symptomatic. I literally don't know what it's like to wake up feeling refreshed after a good night's sleep.

As for your boyfriend, it's well easy to get him to sleep at a normal time. Assuming he's willing, you just have to correct his body clock. Make him get up at the same time as you after he's gone to bed at his usual time. Then make him stay awake ALL DAY, no naps, no nothing, all the way until his normal bedtime again. Then make him get up at your time again. Eventually he'll get tired at the same time as you. People don't necessarily have preset hours they HAVE to sleep, it's all down to your lifestyle and habits and it can be corrected. He has to go without a lot of sleep for a few days, but it can be solved, just like jetlag.

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 1:04 pm

Your boyfriend sounds like me (except for the "getting laid" part.) I enjoy the peace and quiet of the night, and I can concentrate better than during the day, so maybe that has something to do with it.

aarghapanda
Raven
Raven

14 Aug 2008, 5:18 pm

Well aren't you all lovely >:} Thanks people, much appreciated. X

HRH Swan.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 5:30 pm

I have a lot of experience with going to bed at 3am and correcting it as well hahaha.

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 6:03 pm

I'm a college student, sometimes on the weekends, for kicks, I stay up til Four on a saturday morning, and do homework cause I'm bored.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 6:11 pm

JohnHopkins wrote:
As for your boyfriend, it's well easy to get him to sleep at a normal time. Assuming he's willing, you just have to correct his body clock. Make him get up at the same time as you after he's gone to bed at his usual time. Then make him stay awake ALL DAY, no naps, no nothing, all the way until his normal bedtime again. Then make him get up at your time again. Eventually he'll get tired at the same time as you. People don't necessarily have preset hours they HAVE to sleep, it's all down to your lifestyle and habits and it can be corrected. He has to go without a lot of sleep for a few days, but it can be solved, just like jetlag.

I heard another method is more effective: To go to bed later each night until you come full circle. The problem with going to bed earlier is the body is not ready to go to sleep, so getting tucked in bed will not help. it can help with jet lang but not a serious body clock issue. Sometimes you can change conditional factors i.e. food/exercise but If all al fails this method is meant to be quite good. that is if the sleep disorder is a late body clock.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 6:20 pm

JohnHopkins wrote:
One of the symptoms of Asperger's syndrome is having f**** up sleep patterns. I don't really sleep much, and when I do sleep I never get a good night's sleep, it just doens't happen. I've been told this is symptomatic. I literally don't know what it's like to wake up feeling refreshed after a good night's sleep.

Ditto, I can't initiate sleep for the life of me. I can at least sleep pretty well once I get there but if I am lucky enough to actually start drifting off but have something interrupt me when I'm almost there, that's good for 3 or 4 hour second wind.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 6:21 pm

aarghapanda wrote:
My boyfriend is an Aspie and has a very unusual sleep pattern. He doesn't become tired until 3am (by which time I am fast asleep) and often wakes me up at 2am ish and we get laid. Is this an Aspie thing or just a him thing? I don't mind being woken up at absurd times for sex because fair play, he's bangable, but I am curious ... are there any ways I can get the dude to sleep at a reasonable time?
Furthermore, anyone else irritable as hell in the morning? Even after plenty of sleep?

Any advice is much appreciated, as always.

HRH Swan

If he falls asleep maybe because of getting/giving it you could try just going through all that earlier before you go to sleep.