Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2005, 9:33 pm

which key did you learn to play in?

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2005, 2:02 am

do you mean which clef? depends on the instrument: i learned in treble (descant recorder); treble and bass (piano) and then alto (viola). and then, of course, there were the percussion scores...

and in all keys.

Glenn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jan 2005, 4:22 am

1 am not sure what this question means because I learnt piano as a kid, and you don't learn in any "particular key"....as Vertivert has pointed out, you first have to learn to read both treble and bass clefs. I guess most of the early simple tunes and exercises you learn as a beginner are in C major because it doesnt have a key signature to remember, but you soon learn what other keys mean, and that they have different key signatures that affect the way you read the notes on each clef ...some of these I found more difficult to use than others!
It takes time to become accustomed to using each key. As a kid I also taught myself to play the recorder. I had both a descant and a tenor recorder; these are both based in C major and that is the easiest key to play in, until you learn to form all the various sharps and flats.

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2005, 11:02 am

I don't know why most piano lessons start with the key of C major.

I find B flat or E flat much easier keys to start in ~ They complement the shape of the hands much more than C major.

Rakkety_Tamm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2005, 11:15 am

Well, as a musican who playes primarily high brass instruments, ( all so play bagpipes) I learned in the Bb key since that is what the normal stock trumpet of cornet plays, but I do have a set of Eb conversion tubes and I'm learning to play G Piccolo Trumpet.

Chris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jan 2005, 12:07 pm

I play a B flat clarinet. I also play piano. I have been playing since I was 7. I learned Le Petit Negre recently. It is soooooooooo fun! I can play better than a lot of kids my age. But apparently, musical talent is not something girls at my school look for. They are sooo weird.

:star:

cornince
Raven
Raven

27 Jan 2005, 11:17 pm

For the sake of completeness,...

With the piano it is often easier to start with songs in C major or A minor.

I prefer minor key to major key IMO.