Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Tere
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2005, 9:14 am

Fiddler I get that all the time from Everybody!! I don't see the point in just talking for talkings sake. I am perceived as being quiet ans shy, unless it is something I'm interested in and then I can talk for as long as they want to listen!! :lol:

I do have days when I don't talk at all, much to the dismay of my husband. Talking takes a lot of energy I want to use somewhere else. Or maybe I just want to be quiet. 8)

Tere
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2005, 9:19 am

Astro....I love your post! It pretty much sums up how things are.

I sincerely hope people think I'm quiet because I'm wise! It kind of makes up for my childhood and teen years! :D

Captain_Brain
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2005, 6:15 am

I know exactly what it's like trying to be nice to people and trying to interact and stuff and even still they will still say "why don't you talk much" or something.
I've found if people expect me to socialize so much they've got the problem and they should be talking to me not vice verca. If they ask me things I'll converse with them. But I find it difficult and uncomfortable coming up with things to say just for the sake of talking - just feels wrong. :x

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2005, 6:27 am

I had so many disastrous failures trying to be "nice" to people as a lad that I ended up just going out of my way to be deliberately unpleasant to everyone instead - if someone's going to dislike me anyway, I may as well make the most of it and at least be in "control" of the situation...... The odd thing is, I actually found being unpleasant made me more poular with more people than trying to be pleasant ever did. :?

I never really got the "you don't talk enough" thing though - I always got the impression that most people around me were quite happy that I never talked much.....

The number of times I've been in the enforced family-social "you will have fun whether you like it or not" situation though...... sheeesh! :roll:

hilarythebaker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jan 2005, 8:06 pm

I'm the exact opposite....I'm ALWAYS told that I talk too much.

Maril
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Feb 2005, 8:06 pm

I have always been seen upon as shy, but I didn't think so myself. It was just that I didn't feel like talking. "You don't talk enough" must be the phrase I've heard most often. But I know that I sometimes talk too much as well, if there is something I have a passion for, and know a lot about, I can go on explaining it until I realize that people is getting very bored. Or if people ask me anything that is about facts, anything I can give an concrete answer to.
In social situations with several people I mostly tryed to listen and follow the conversation, or just fall of, and think about other things. Lately I have given up, and I listen to or interact only on what i'm intrested in. It actualy became a whole lot easier with that approach, because I don't feel so much pressure, and can use my energy otherwise. :lol: