Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Do you take PE? If you do, do you like it?
Yes, I do, and I like it. 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
Yes, I do, and I like it. 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
Yes, I do, but I hate it. 28%  28%  [ 5 ]
Yes, I do, but I hate it. 28%  28%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 18

Chris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2004, 3:57 pm

As you probably know, I am an Aspie. Because I am an Aspie, I am in Special ED have a thing at school called an IEP, or an Individualized Education Program. This means that my teachers concentrate on my special needs. They don't do it as much now as they did in elementary school. Such things that they did in grade school with this were telling me who my teacher would be well in advance of the next year, having conferences with my parents, my teacher and the Special ED director. From kindergarden to 3rd grade, I had an aid who followed me to help me with stuff. I don't have an aid anymore. All through elementary school I took PE.
When I got to Middle School, my first class was called the Wheel Class. For the first 7 weeks of the school year, I took computers. For the second 7 weeks I took RealLife Reading, then Health, then PE, then Music. But when I started PE, the Special ED director came and collected me, telling me that my parents didn't want me to do PE anymore, fearing that I would be sexually harassed in the locker room. It's because after sixth grade, PE isn't Coed. I don't get along well with other boys. I only have one acquaintance at my school who is a boy. The rest I either don't know or they are my enemies. I wish I were a girl. Then I would have a good excuse for having short shorts and a wonderful singing voice, yet a very feminine one.
Any way, I never have to take PE again, thanks to my Asperger Syndrome. I did, however, take Cross Country this year, only I did pretty badly.

If

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2004, 7:13 pm

I was in special ed gym class back in junior high school (1992-1994). When I left sixth grade, I had the physical skills of some in third grade.

The class was held along side a regular gym class, no one ever questioned me as to why I was in there, or what my gym class exactly was.

That class was oriented on building up strength and cordination, so spent much of the year doing ball sports and weight lifting.

I didn't have trouble with the other kids in the class, for the most part they stayed away from me or ignored me becasue they thought I was a strange person.

jimmister
Raven
Raven

05 May 2009, 6:25 pm

Scoots5012 wrote:
I was in special ed gym class back in junior high school (1992-1994). When I left sixth grade, I had the physical skills of some in third grade.

The class was held along side a regular gym class, no one ever questioned me as to why I was in there, or what my gym class exactly was.

That class was oriented on building up strength and cordination, so spent much of the year doing ball sports and weight lifting.

I didn't have trouble with the other kids in the class, for the most part they stayed away from me or ignored me becasue they thought I was a strange person.

Really?? I, on the other hand, did have trouble with the kids in my "adaptive gym" class (the class for the severely physically and mentally disabled). That, and being in Special ed in general was a culture shock for me, because, besides early intervention, and my first two years of secondary school, I was all mainstreamed, and the fact that I felt (and still do to a very little extent) excluded and didn't belong there, as I felt.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 9:34 pm

I was in sped classes when I was in school, and I am sure the majority on this site had a IEP or something similar. I was in a 'adaptive' gym class, although they had different classes for levels of ability, so I was with kids at my level, but I always did very bad, cant throw or catch a ball and would trip over my own feet.
I am 25 now, and funny enough, now I am a athlete and race against the pros. I always laugh thinking that the kids who were the big high school football stars, you know, the jock type kids and the ones who did ten sports and were in the newspapers, I have noticed as adults the majority of them become out of shape, overweight with big beer guts, whos sport didnt take them very far. Sure there are the few that make it, but then there is me that was so bad at sports, and now am a athlete.
So, my point is that gym class and school sports are not going to really get you anywhere in life, although it is good and healthy to be fit, not being to great with gym class does not really mean much in the big picture

Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 3:26 am

I hated it, unless it was hockey or basketball.

I was really bad at the rest, especially acrobatics stuff. Like we'd do this thing where two people would hold a stick between them and the third person had to sit on it... then they'd have to make their way across the gym.

I was the only one to fall off and land on my back (it hurt). Stuff like that would happen to me all the time, I can't even count on two hands all the times I've been hit in the face with a ball. And I was never a fast runner (knee problems), so I always lost those race games.

When I was 12 we had an after school activity for softball, but my teacher always ended up picking on me, yelling at me and cursing at me 'cause I didn't live up to his standards (I'd black out for a bit whenever someone hit the ball and I was standing in the field, making me slower to respond).

We also have this thing over here, when you're in your senior year or the year before, where each student needs to teach the class a lesson (be it badminton, football, etc., you get three classes to teach including complete strangers).
You'd get a week or two to prepare and then you'd have to stand in front of the class explaining them things and making up exercises for them + warm ups etc.

I'm bad at explaining things I don't really know about. I mean P.E. teachers get like 4-6 years of education for this + the years of experience gained from teaching... and they're expecting me to just learn it in two weeks?? Ridiculous. What does teaching a class have to do with p.e. anyway.

BLECH. so yes, I hated it with a passion.