Idiots who say it's fake

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 2:15 pm

I agree. The reason some people think it's a 'fad' is because it is only now that AS is understood more, and thus it is easier to diagnose today then it was years ago. There always where people who had it, but because of poor screening methods, there was no way of knowing, seeing as many people with AS can blend in mainstream society easily.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 2:19 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:
I agree. The reason some people think it's a 'fad' is because it is only now that AS is understood more, and thus it is easier to diagnose today then it was years ago. There always where people who had it, but because of poor screening methods, there was no way of knowing, seeing as many people with AS can blend in mainstream society easily.

I still think there are VERY simple ways to indentify aspies on the street in normal everyday life...such as if they pace or stim awkwardly. But these are the signs of AS that become the most ignored by NT people.

mikemmlj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 May 2009, 2:19 pm

As far as family members denying you have it; maybe they are concerned about what it says about their own mental state/condition if a family member is diagnosed? Just an idea.

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 3:31 pm

My family doesn't deny it. In fact, before I was diagnosed and before I told my mom I thought I had it there was an article in the paper about it and she said I must have it.