Getting emotionally attatched to people in real life

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2004, 11:33 pm

Quote:
People could sense that I was desperate to belong to the group, to be treated as normal, so I was easily manipulated.

I suppose this is what happens to me, too. I am not sure if it is desparation in me so much as it is naivety and obliviousness. I have been taken advantage of and manipulated so many times that I am frustrated with myself. I am sick of attracting those types of people and being led on by them.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2004, 7:24 am

The people that I get attatched to treat me like an adult, or at least like a normal person, instead of like Rainman.

Astro
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jan 2005, 3:08 pm

wow, my first post here!

When I started browsing the posts, a light went on! Here, all these years, I thought that I was just a freak.
On relationships, I went through a long period of feeling that I was a total reject, totally unappealing, even though others would sometimes comment that girls/women were hitting on me which I would dismiss.

Around 10 years ago (at age 30), I was seeing a woman who, upon our breakup (at my initiative) told me that I was extremely needy. After some introspection, I realized she was right. I either didn't make friends at all or bacame totally attached to whomever would show me some friendship. My "crushes" had no substance except that the person would be friendly to me.

Throughout my life, I never knew how to react to people. Were they being friendly or coming on to me? Were people complimenting me or being sarcastic?

I've always thought I was "odd' in that I could have "good friends" in school, but really feel nothing for them. I'd move away and have no inclination to ever call them and so they'd just disappear out of my life. And I've been fine with that. Same with relationships. I can end a relationship and never look back. Even family, I have little/no desire to visit or talk to.

I've learned how I "should" behave, and can force myself to be "sensitive" to other's feelings in order not to hurt people I care for. But really, inside, I feel like there's no substance behind my feelings. It just makes me feel like an alien. Glad to see I'm not the only one...

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2005, 4:27 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet, Astro! :D

Dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Astro

03 Jan 2005, 11:37 pm

Quote:
Welcome to WrongPlanet, Astro!

Dunc

Thanks! It seems like a nice place to be. Glad I found you!

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2005, 6:04 am

I've come back to this thread because I relised that I actually do become terribly emotionally attatched to certain people, and it's totally destroying me.

They are usually women older than me, and I really want to be their friend. What I want from them is so undescribable I don't even want to begin to describe it.

It's like wanting someone to care, a mentor, a friend, all in one.

I become attached to these people and really want to know them. If things don't work out like that I get terribly upset, I keep thinking about them and can't seem to get over it.

I'm going through that at the moment and would rather die as I just can't let it go. It's only specific people though.

If I don't stop doing this it will throw me into depression and i'lll break down.

It's like being dumped by someone you love?

Last edited by hale_bopp on 26 Feb 2005, 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2005, 11:42 am

Quote:
my problem has always been that I'm far too open with people. I tend to be willing to do anything for anyone and will consider someone a friend pretty much straight away. This has caused me a lot of hurt in the past because I can never understand why I don't get the same willingness back from these 'friends'. The worst part for me is that even when I realise someone was playing games with me I still feel attached to them.

that's exactly the way I am. If someone seems friendly, or chats with me a little bit in a store or something, or emails me a few times, I have to try hard not to tell them everything about me. Many times I fail at this. Also, if someone is friendly to me, I put all my hopes in them, about being friends, and such things. I have yet to have a good friend.

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2005, 1:37 pm

i used to have this problem, it led to my own embarassment. Now I dont trust NTs until i have known them for at least a year and even then I still hold a lot of stuf back.
A

echospectra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2005, 8:14 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
It's like wanting someone to care, a mentor, a friend, all in one.

Oooh yes. This is familiar.

Do you bring it up with people? The subject of "mentorship". It's a very forgotten kind of relationship, and one that many people need. It's possible that there are many people out there who would like to be a mentor to someone, but don't know how to talk about it or don't do it, perhaps because it's so rare and therefore considered strange.