Salad recipes/websites for this sexy guy?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 8:23 pm

As some of you know, I've been on a diet, and today I measured myself, I've already lost 20 kilos (45 USA pounds)! !! :D (and still many more to go), so, I'm looking for recipes, specially low fat / low carb salads recipes, which I'm lacking.
Any site recommendations?

EDIT:
Great luck! :D I found these:

[url=http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/salad1/Low_Fat_Salads.htm
]About.com[/url]
- low fat salads
[url=http://whatscookingamerica.net/RecipeIndexDiet.htm
]What's cooking[/url]
- low fat general recipes
[url=http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Healthy-Cooking/Low-Fat/Salads/ViewAll.aspx?Photos=On
]Allrecipes.com[/url]
- Very nice website, worth bookmarking
[url=http://vegweb.com/index.php?board=157.0
]Vegweb[/url]
- Many recipes
[url=http://www.cookthing.com/
]Cookthing[/url]
- the most interesting of all, you can type what you want (i.e. salad) then select what ingredients, and it'll show you recipes with them as main ingredients. It's better than I described :lol:
RecipePuppy - Like above, but you type what ingredients you have/want, and it'll show you recipes with those ingredients. Awesome

Last edited by computerlove on 06 Jun 2010, 10:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 9:25 pm

Congratulations! That's a lot of weight to lose. Personally, my favorite salads are simply mixed greens with as little dressing as humanly possible -- as in, I dip my fork into it so I just get a bit of the flavor. The whole time I was growing up, I thought I didn't like salads, when in fact I just didn't like the stuff my mother drenched them in. :roll:

One site that has helped me a lot is www.caloriecount.com. There's a food diary, forums, calorie calculators, a recipe analyzer and a lot of other useful tools. There are also a lot of recipes uploaded by members, so you know they're good. My screen-name there is also pschristmas. Another good healthy diet and recipe site is Dr. Gourmet. You also might try the Clean Eating website.

Best of luck!

Note: I'm heading out of town for a month and am not certain of the internet access where I'm going, so don't be put off if it takes me a while to respond to messages.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 9:28 pm

I'm on a Mediterranean diet, and information here would be helpful to me.

I'm rather picky about salads...

But they do not have me

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 10:54 pm

Apera, I updated the first post with lots of links

PSXmas: Thx :)
Yes, it's a lot, just yesterday I realized that I had lost the weight equivalent of this 5 gallon bottle:
HEAVY!

I was in shock, to think that before I lost this much it was as if I carried that weight AT ALL TIMES with me!!

thx for the links, I'll check them out :thumleft:

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 12:33 am

Keep up the good work!

I lost 126 pounds but have gained 64 pounds back because I had so little support from others. My partner did nothing but compain about how expensive my food was when I changed to healthier diet and people who saw me everyday made lts of nasty comments and one woman at church even told me it was a sin for me to refuse to eat certain things (because God means for us to eat of all His bounty.)

After a while, all the negative comments and the fear that my food was going to ruin our home finances made me decide to go off my new lifestyle. I have such a hard time dealing with people as it is and my new eating and exercise habits were making everyone hate me and be mean to me. Now I can't seem to find the enthusiasm to get up and go for a walk and I just end up eating potatoes all the time because they're so cheap, plus any food someone else offers me because I don't want people to be mean to me again for saying no thank you to food they try to give me.

I hate that I gained back half the weight I lost and I hope I don't gain the rest of it back. I want to go back to the healthy way I used to eat but I guess I will have to wait until I finish school and have more money so my partner can't complain about the cost.

But don't let it happen to you! Keep the weight you lost off and if other people are not supportive toward you and your choices, have more strength than I did and tell them they can just go jump in a lake and keep doing what's working for you.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 8:40 am

Sparrowrose wrote:
Keep up the good work!

I lost 126 pounds but have gained 64 pounds back because I had so little support from others. My partner did nothing but compain about how expensive my food was when I changed to healthier diet and people who saw me everyday made lts of nasty comments and one woman at church even told me it was a sin for me to refuse to eat certain things (because God means for us to eat of all His bounty.)

Sounds like blatant jealousy to me. Tell her that God didn't intend us to abuse and misuse the gifts He gave us, either. The parable of the good steward might come in handy, here, although I've found that stewardship isn't big among Evangelicals these days. Back when I was being raised in the S. Baptist church, it was every other sermon.

As for expensive food, I've actually found that buying fresh veggies and fruits in season and whole grains is actually cheaper. No expensive red meats, and the whole grains fill me up so I don't eat as much. Dried beans and rice are wonderfully healthy and are the classic "too poor to buy anything else" food.

Quote:
After a while, all the negative comments and the fear that my food was going to ruin our home finances made me decide to go off my new lifestyle. I have such a hard time dealing with people as it is and my new eating and exercise habits were making everyone hate me and be mean to me. Now I can't seem to find the enthusiasm to get up and go for a walk and I just end up eating potatoes all the time because they're so cheap, plus any food someone else offers me because I don't want people to be mean to me again for saying no thank you to food they try to give me.

Time to find a more supportive community. Try Calorie Count. We're a very supportive group.

Quote:
I hate that I gained back half the weight I lost and I hope I don't gain the rest of it back. I want to go back to the healthy way I used to eat but I guess I will have to wait until I finish school and have more money so my partner can't complain about the cost.

But don't let it happen to you! Keep the weight you lost off and if other people are not supportive toward you and your choices, have more strength than I did and tell them they can just go jump in a lake and keep doing what's working for you.

Best of luck.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 4:28 pm

pschristmas wrote:
Sparrowrose wrote:
Keep up the good work!

Sounds like blatant jealousy to me. Tell her that God didn't intend us to abuse and misuse the gifts He gave us, either. The parable of the good steward might come in handy, here, although I've found that stewardship isn't big among Evangelicals these days. Back when I was being raised in the S. Baptist church, it was every other sermon.

Not evangelical. At any rate, there's nothing to tell her since she refuses to speak to me anymore after she got really weird and was calling my house every twenty minutes, leaving frantic messages on the answering machine to ask if I were all right (because I had missed Liturgy one week.) My partner was afraid she was going to send the police to our door to check up on us so he called her husband and had a "man-to-man" about his wife freaking us out and now the husband will still greet me but the wife looks the other way and acts like I don't exist.

Quote:
As for expensive food, I've actually found that buying fresh veggies and fruits in season and whole grains is actually cheaper. No expensive red meats, and the whole grains fill me up so I don't eat as much. Dried beans and rice are wonderfully healthy and are the classic "too poor to buy anything else" food.

The diet that makes me feel the healthiest is primarily fresh, ripe, raw fruits and vegetables and that gets really expensive. Just green leaves for one day is $5. I don't eat meats - they make me ill, other than grass-fed beef which is over $7/pound so I don't eat meats. Grains make me very, very ill, especially the ones with gluten in them, but even the ones without make me feel run down and tired after a while. I used to eat lots of dried beans because they're cheap but they kept me fat and diabetic, too. When I switched to a living foods diet (which I was on for a year) I healed my diabetes, dropped over a hundred pounds, felt vibrant and alive. But it's very expensive and even though I supplemented by picking fruit in the summer (lots of people buy houses with fruit trees they don't want and if you ask around you can do them and yourself a favor by picking the fruit and removing it for them) I was spending a lot of money on food. Now I'm back to beans and potatoes and frozen vegetables again and feeling worn-out and run-down and exhausted an apathetic again. And fat again. And diabetic again.

Quote:

Quote:
Time to find a more supportive community. Try Calorie Count. We're a very supportive group.

Thanks, but I find that even the most supportive group doesn't like to have someone there who's following a completely different set of rules. On living foods, I never counted calories, carbs, nothing. I just ate when I was hungry and stopped when I was satisfied. The diet gave me so much energy I didn't even have to try to exercise because I always wanted to be out hiking on trails or bicycling across town. I also lost a lot of my agoraphobia when I was eating that way and no longer had to get up eight to ten times a night to go to the bathroom. It was really wonderful and I can't wait until I can afford to eat that way again.

I tried getting support from some of the living foods communities online but there's so much in-fighting and outright lies and attitude that I don't really like to participate in those groups. It amazes me that a lifestyle that makes me feel so vibrant and alive and loving and compassionate can produce communities that are so judgmental and argumentative. I really don't understand that. And I met a couple of people in town who were living natural hygiene lifestyles but one seriously creeped me out and the other just gave lots of angry lectures so I realize that I can't hope for external support for the lifestyle that seems to suit me best and makes me most healthy. I just have to finish school and increase my income enough so that I can go back to doing what I love and what makes me happy without my partner getting anxious about finances. I can live without a supportive community and can even live with people picking at me and trying to break me down, so long as I can come home and eat what I want without someone telling me I'm spending too much money on food. That was the "straw that broke the camel's back" for me. I can face just about anything out in the world so long as my home is a sanctuary where I can live the way that suits me best.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 9:39 pm

^ Honestly, f*ck everyone, don't give a sh*t about ANYONE, it's YOUR life, and NEVER EVER EVER accept criticism from anyone that just wants to make you feel bad. She is full of envy/jealouness, to hell with her. Move on and live YOUR life.

$5 a day is a lot for vegetables, fat-free stuff like ham and cheese is not expensive, and a home-made salad shouldn't cost you more than $2, and I'm talking about a gigantic salad that will last you over two days.
Beans are good, but eat them in moderation, I only use a light spread on chicken tostadas and a little bag lasts a lot.
Also, lots of water, about 2 liters every day.
Lots of papaya, apples, pears, melon, they are way too cheap and make a great dinner, breakfast or snack.
Jícama, cucumber, orange and grapefruit go great together, spread some hot chile powder("chili peper" in english), lemon and salt and it's a great snack, way too cheap and you can eat them in big quantities.
Tuna is also cheap, and with vegetables, frozen or not, is one of the cheapest and most nutritious meals I make.
Also tuna with pasta is a good option, and of course a big portion of vegetables. And it's obscenely cheap.
I love sea food, and fish is cheap too,
Being on a diet is a great great way to save money. No overpriced fat-dripping pizzas, no overpriced fat-saturated heart-damaging hamburgers!

Secret vegetable: Celery, negative calories 8O
Secret friend: eggs. Great source of protein.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 9:54 pm

computerlove wrote:
a home-made salad shouldn't cost you more than $2, and I'm talking about a gigantic salad that will last you over two days.

It sounds like food is very affordable in your country. Where I live, a pound of dark-green leaves is $5.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 6:58 pm

$5 for a lettuce is a steal in broad light

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 9:00 pm

computerlove wrote:
$5 for a lettuce is a steal in broad light

yes, it is a real steal! I couldn't believe I'd found such a good bargain. I did a LOT of shopping around until I found the cheapest good lettuce I could find. We are so far north that we really don't grow much lettuce here so it has to be shipped a long way to us and that adds to the cost. I'm guessing you live in the tropics and that makes fruits and vegetables a LOT cheaper than here.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 9:22 pm

That's awesome, CL. Exercise plus dieting works wonders.
How do the ladies like it, hombre?

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 10:21 pm

Sparrowrose, your story left me speechless 8O . I just can't get my head around people hating you for losing weight and feeling good. I can only offer my sympathy as the only advice that comes to mind is "Ignore them" which I understand might be difficult...

Are root vegetables just as expensive where you live? Grated celery (the root not the sticks), carrot and apple can make a really good salad, especially mixed with sunflower/pumpkin seeds. While living in Sweden I used to grow watercress, spinach and rocket in pots (I understand it also works with other salad leaves) - if they survived the Scandinavian weather it might work for you too. Green onion and garlic grow in a pot in the most adverse conditions and basil seems to handle lack of heat and light good enough. Here's a link that might help (I'm sure you can find more information if you google it) - link

If you like seafood, shellfish is very low in calories yet filling and healthy - it's rather cheap where I live, too...

Tuna is always a great option - if you put in the blender with a raw yolk, a bit of mustard, a drop of olive oil and some herbs or spices it makes a delicious sandwich paste (I eat it with rice cakes :lol: ). Tuna is also very versatile, you can use it with almost anything.

Good luck and I hope you won't let all that meanness stop you from feeling happy and healthy.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 10:52 pm

Sallamandrina wrote:
Sparrowrose, your story left me speechless 8O . I just can't get my head around people hating you for losing weight and feeling good. I can only offer my sympathy as the only advice that comes to mind is "Ignore them" which I understand might be difficult...

Very difficult to ignore bullying when the only way to get away from it is to abandon your entire life..... Because the only places I go, really, (other than the grocery store and doctor, etc.) is school and church so I either have to tolerate the bullying (and I feel I've put up with enough of that in my life) or walk away from school (and I'm working too hard to better my life to do that) or try to hide how I eat -- which gets difficult at times because it seems that EVERYONE wants to eat with other people and I get pushed into positions where I can either sit there with nothing while others eat and treat me like a freak for not eating or pick out what I can eat and get even worse bullying for it. It's a no-win situation. Though I could have stayed on my lifestyle regardless if it weren't for the cost issue.

Quote:
Are root vegetables just as expensive where you live? Grated celery (the root not the sticks), carrot and apple can make a really good salad, especially mixed with sunflower/pumpkin seeds.

That sounds really good, but we don't have celery root. I do make a cheap salad sometimes out of shredded purple cabbage and shredded carrots.

Quote:
While living in Sweden I used to grow watercress, spinach and rocket in pots (I understand it also works with other salad leaves) - if they survived the Scandinavian weather it might work for you too. Green onion and garlic grow in a pot in the most adverse conditions and basil seems to handle lack of heat and light good enough. Here's a link that might help (I'm sure you can find more information if you google it) - link

Thank you, but there isn't enough light in my apartment to grow anything other than sprouted seeds, which I do in the winter but now it's too hot to grow them because the heat makes them go rotten.

Quote:
If you like seafood, shellfish is very low in calories yet filling and healthy - it's rather cheap where I live, too...

Tuna is always a great option - if you put in the blender with a raw yolk, a bit of mustard, a drop of olive oil and some herbs or spices it makes a delicious sandwich paste (I eat it with rice cakes :lol: ). Tuna is also very versatile, you can use it with almost anything.

Seafood makes me ill so I don't eat it. Nor eggs, which give me terrible diarrhea.

Quote:
Good luck and I hope you won't let all that meanness stop you from feeling happy and healthy.

Thank you, but it's the cost of food more that is stopping me from eating the food my body craves most for health. I would put up with the bullying (though it doesn't improve my quality of life) if I could just afford to eat right. I put us into debt when I was doing it before and while I wouldn't mind giving up a lot of things in order to eat the food that healed my diabetes and made me feel so healthy, I have a partner so I have to compromise on these kinds of life decisions.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 11:12 pm

I wasn't very helpful, was I? :lol: It just saddens me so much that healthy food and living seem to turn more and more into a luxury in so many otherwise "civilised" places... Being forced to get into debt just so you can eat what's right for you (especially if you have diabetes) is just... wrong :(

I hope your financial situation gets better soon.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 1:46 am

Sallamandrina wrote:
I wasn't very helpful, was I? :lol: It just saddens me so much that healthy food and living seem to turn more and more into a luxury in so many otherwise "civilised" places... Being forced to get into debt just so you can eat what's right for you (especially if you have diabetes) is just... wrong :(

I hope your financial situation gets better soon.

Three more years.