Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 9:42 am

Fnord wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
One point I will repeat so everyone is clear. If we see fighting / personal attacks going on we will suspend or ban ALL the members involved. We aren't going to get into any he/she started it first discussions.

That's common to military units, as well - one person screws up, and the whole platoon gets sent on a 20-mile hike ... or to the front.

Collective punishment is not an acceptable or efficient form of discipline. It's just easy to do, and that isn't good enough.

Zeraeph
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 9:54 am

Gedrene wrote:
Zeraeph wrote:
Which, of course is a very posh way of saying:
"I hold him at bay with the palm of my hand, and he flails his fists harmlessly for a little while... " :P

Gedrene wrote:
More like I give a differing opinion or challenge a hole in her argument and then Zeraeph has to rely on condescension and the insinuation that I was disallowing her an opinion by way of a reply, like the example above.

See what I mean? Even this last post. I don't know why you need to make that patronizing metaphor up either. Constant responses to faults in people's arguments is something anyone should do, even if the response they make amounts to vapid mockery. You're going to be treated no differently to ci in that regard.

So let's go to before you tried to make things personal: Why not make things better if you can? Or do you think your opinion is deserving of special protection and shouldn't be criticised? Which it isn't.

:roll:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ZkTndbHpk[/youtube]

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 10:04 am

Bickering equals closing the thread.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 11:03 am

Gedrene wrote:
Fnord wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
One point I will repeat so everyone is clear. If we see fighting / personal attacks going on we will suspend or ban ALL the members involved. We aren't going to get into any he/she started it first discussions.

That's common to military units, as well - one person screws up, and the whole platoon gets sent on a 20-mile hike ... or to the front.

Collective punishment is not an acceptable or efficient form of discipline. It's just easy to do, and that isn't good enough.

I will add one final point here. When moderators become involved in a fight between two members the simple reasons why BOTH members have sanctions against them are as follows:

1. Both members are breaking the site rules by engaging in personal attacks.

2. It is generally impossible to track down who started a fight. They tend to escalate from something trivial, sometimes months or even years earlier in threads long since gone, only to keep resurfacing as ongoing hostilities in numerous threads. Moderators aren't going to look through several months of posts to see if we can work out who struck the first blow!