Page 4 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 12:37 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
how was the autism speaks interview post derailed.i read the whole thing.if anything people did well ending bickering before it got out of control

I don't think they were suggesting that the Autism Speaks Interview post was derailed, only this one as far as I can see from what was written in this thread.

And to Gedrene thanks for the defense of my character. I've seen people doing that for each other, lately, here, and I find that encouraging.

NobelCynic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 1:27 pm

AlanTuring wrote:
With regard to the Berkeley 'chapter', many student organizations (e.g. fraternities, sororities) are encouraged to and expected to take up a cause, especially activities involved in fundraising for charities. There may not be much understanding (or need to understand) about autism in an organization supporting Autism Speaks. They have been misled into thinking they are supporting a worthy cause, when all that they are doing is supporting a self-oriented fundraising machine.

I would think this is true for the whole college movement which does seem to be new for Autism Speaks, they used to focus on parrents, but if you look at this page recruting members for Autism Speaks U it appears AlanTuring is right, not only for the Berkley chapter but the whole project.

I would suggest leaving them alone, or doing no more then attending some of their events to ask questions or perhaps correct some of their ignorance about the organization they are supporting.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 4:24 pm

your at berkly? are you in the special autism program there or in the regular college because iwas actually looking into the autism program there ( thought i was thinking of going to one of the other locations

also are these autism speaksters aware that there is an autism program at there school?
http://www.cipberkeley.org/

Quadratura
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Sep 2011, 4:10 pm

I'm at the usual university. I'm not sure if they know about CIP, though... maybe I'll ask at next weekend's preparation-for-fundraising event.

I have a meeting with administration for next Tuesday or so. We'll see how everything goes. Hopefully I'll just end up getting emotional support and allies for my efforts.

EDIT: Also, apparently part of my infiltration will involve baking. For a bakesale. Huzzah.

EDIT EDIT: If you're going there soon, we can go get tea or something if you want to and would feel comfortable with that. I don't tell people about my diagnosis most of the time, so it's a relief when I get to talk to someone openly.