Page 6 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 3:02 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
isnt the dsm 4 dead as 1-1-12 and at that time the dsm 5 takes over. what i meant i guess is that retts is a lame duck.

May, 2013, actually. http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx

DSM-IV is still in effect. Some professionals however, are already (kind of) adopting the new criteria. Some are looking to both and DX'ing according to both sets of criteria, but still using the current DX terminology.

EDIT: You may be right though. Since they must all know Rett's is going away, it probably is a lame duck at this point, since it doesn't look like that proposal won't go through.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 4:17 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Quote:
Have you heard of Theory of Mind? I sure have. It’s where people imprint their psyche on others as a basis on how other people should work.

Context: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp3822248 ... t=#3822248

Wrong. You've got the whole concept backwards. ToM is not about imprinting one's psyche on others. It's about guessing how others think, and what they might be thinking, by imagining their thoughts, feelings, experiences and motivations. It's about putting oneself in OTHER people's shoes, and attempting to make educated guesses as to what they are thinking.

Of course I know what people say it is. I was turning it around however sarcastically, and exposing it for what I think it was.

MrXxx wrote:
Aspies need to learn it as an intellectual skill.
I think they learn most things non automatically, and I am not disputing it. I was criticizing the theory of mind because I feel that some of it is in fact a cover up of an imposition by others on how others should feel in the same situation.

MrXxx wrote:
Quote:
Autism is a word dreamed up by Leo Kanner to describe our personal isolation from other people as innate.
Wrong again. Leo Kanner did not dream up the word Autism. The term was coined by Eugene Bleuler in relation to a symptom set of schizoprenia over 100 years ago. Autism as a term, when first used, had nothing to do with Autism as it is currently known. It was strictly, at first, limited to schizophrenia.
I even said that it was first used to describe schizophrenia. What I think I meant to say was autism in that form was dreamed up by Leo Kanner.

MrXxx wrote:
Quote:
By the time we get to adult age all we are told is that we are worse and misshapen compared to others (despite the nice language it is cloaked up in) and none of us in this part of the forum really believe that.

NONE of us? Really? You are obviously not paying attention. Speak for yourself. Your Autism, if you actually have it, is not identical to everyone else's. You NEED to get that through your head.
I said all we are told. Not we are all told.

MrXxx wrote:
Also, not all of us are told such things. You're experience is not everyone's either. You should stop preaching as if it is.
Oh this is pathetic. I don't literally mean told. I mean the idea is reinforced for many of us that we have problems that we don't have.

MrXxx wrote:
And, yes it is. It's very common. Ask any para-educator who works with Autistic kids. Mine, and all three of my son's writing is horrendous. It's very common.
You have failed at comprehension again. I didn't say that it weasn't trash. I said that I worked through it and it was fine.

MrXxx wrote:
Second, if it were not for groups of doctors and scientists at some point in time, making up the definitions for these disorders, none of us would be here talking about them.
And this is your counter argument really. Can you actually talk about the DSM IV and DSM V already?

MrXxx wrote:
Fourth, no system of definitions and systems is perfect.
THat isn't excuse for allowing it to get worse.

MrXxx wrote:
Fifth, Autism as a disorder is extremely complex. There is no simple way to explain what it is. None.
I didn't say anything about that. Also if that is true then why are you saying that a system that oversimplifies and constricts everything is okay?

MrXxx wrote:
Sixth, Autism is a wide spectrum, because it is defined as such.
This is a tautology.

MrXxx wrote:
Ninth, you are effectively trying to promote an entirely new paradigm for Autism, much of which is based on misinformation, and consequently misunderstanding of, the current most widely accepted paradigms in existence.
Yes, your misreading based on my criticism of theory of mind which you failed to actually grasp at what I was saying or the nuances of it. This is a just so fallacy again. You're just saying that I am wrong without saying how.

MrXxx wrote:
Tenth, due to the fact that much of what you're trying to promote is based on misinformation to begin with, your paradigms are not being accepted as readily as you would like.
Look, why do you keep making this hurtful accusation? I already said that I don't care about whether what I say is accepted. All I care about is that the right thing happens.

MrXxx wrote:
Eleventh, your reactions to many who disagree with your paradigms, and your perceptions of current ones, speak for themselves.
No they don't. In fact you are the one who has made childish remarks most of the time like 'whatever' and 'get a life'. THey show frustration and childish inability to deal with someone rebuffing them do they not?

MrXxx wrote:
Have you once, since you've arrived here on WP, admitted to being wrong about anything? Have you even once admitted to the possibility that you could be wrong?
yes actually. I did on this thread. It said five characteristics required and I said six. I was corrected and I accepted that. This is mostly because the person I was talking to wasn't wrong or using misinformation or using cheap underhanded assertions about my character that have nothing to do with the discussion.

MrXxx wrote:
Quote:
Sigh... They cannot even admit to being wrong about bullying never being justified.

And what do you call what you've been doing right here in this thread?
Okay so now we can add selective quotation to the mix of logical fallacy.

MrXxx wrote:
Your only problem is you THINK the people you are bullying here are weak and incapable of defending themselves.

No, actually I was saying that people who bully Christian Chandler can't justify their bullying so they lie to themselves.

MrXxx wrote:
It doesn't matter if they aren't, and many are not. All that matters is that your attitude clearly demonstrates your illusions of superiority. I just happen to be one who's not afraid to say so.
So you not only accuse me of bullying you with no evidence even though you are the only one who has made bullying remarks but you also accuse me of having delusions of grandeur when I don't even care if I convince anyone, only that I do right.

MrXxx wrote:
You've consistently belittled, insulted, and picked on people here since you got here if they don't agree with you. That is bullying, which makes you a hypocrite.
No, I haven't. I have picked apart their remarks. I have said that they don't have a reason to think that bullying is okay and I have fought hard over right and wrong. You just say I am bullying but it is you who are bullying when you tell me to get a life and accuse me of doing so many things.

MrXxx wrote:
I am NOT bullying you.
So accusing me of being a bully for doing what I didn't do, saying that I have delusions of grandeur even though I don't intend to convince anybody of anything, telling me to get a life, saying whatever flippantly towards me and telling me that you don't care one iota about what I say in return isn't bullying? I feel hurt, and I am serious. The only time I have ever felt this bad was when I was accused of calling the USA Nazis.

MrXxx wrote:
Now, go ahead and make some more snide remarks about cliches.
I wasn't being snide at all. The fact is that saying get over it is a cliched insult that says nothing.

MrXxx wrote:
You're not here to listen and learn like most of here. You're here to push your own agenda. An agenda that makes utterly no sense
Just so fallacy again, and another insult :
MrXxx wrote:
xx"]You want to call yourself an Aspie, but want to change the definition of what it means to be one. Whaaa?
No, I wanted to change the understanding of the symptoms. Why is it that you keep accusing me of things?

MrXxx wrote:
Just quit insisting that the rest of us must accept your reality. And quit being so damned rude, snide and belittling with your remarks. It's unacceptable behavior, and deserves to be called out for what it is.
But you're doing those exact same things right now. Why should I take your abuse?

I thought I was actually going to talk sensibly on this subject, but all you did was attack me head on and condemn me whilst twisting what I say and do to mean what you want. :cry:

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 5:21 pm

Look, Gedrene, talking to you is like trying to have a conversation with an endless tape loop that does nothing but repeat the same things over and over, ending each time with "What did I do?"

I've not only explained what you've done, but posted examples, which you asked for (evidence and proof), yet every time you reply, you remove the evidence from the reply and deny it was ever there to begin with.

You start this crap, then complain when you get the crap back at you, removing what you said that started it all, and denying you ever did what your posts clearly show you did.

It's pointless to argue with you, because you just do the same thing every single time, then deny you did anything at all, or said anything that could be taken as an insult, even when it's been SHOWN to you.

You ask to see what we see, we show it to you, you erase it and deny what we said you did, then whine that we're being unfair.

It's pointless. Utterly pointless to continue attempting to hold a sensible conversation with you.

Why do your threads degenerate into this kind of thing instead of staying on the topic you want them to be about? Take a look in the mirror. It's YOU who causes it.

That's all I have to say. I'm NOT giving you any more evidence or proof just to have you erase and deny it's existence.

From now on, I am firmly requesting that you refrain from replying to ANY of my posts, or quoting me. If you do, I will consider it harassment, and treat it appropriately as such.

I, in turn, will no longer reply to or quote you. It's not worth the time or the aggravation.

Peace.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 6:08 pm

Thanks, MrXxx. I agree with all you say.

Gedrene, you are like someone who has the occasional headache and thus feels qualified to participate in a forum for migraine sufferers, telling them that what they experience can't truly be migraines because you don't share their symptoms and decrying the criteria by which they are diagnosed because those criteria would exclude you.

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 7:26 pm

Gedrene wrote:
The conclusion is that the diagnostic system is far too harsh. It will exclude the mild. They call it an autism spectrum disorder but in the first two categories only one thing is optional. Autism Spectrum in this diagnosis is a misnomer, and anyone who says otherwise works against the fact that there is only one optional characteristic, all of which imply severe issues when taken together.

Even more terrifying is the idea that there will be no support provided until the problem becomes very great, meaning that thousands will suffer and their condition get worse and worse until they at last fit the criteria.

The DSM-IV asperger's syndrome takes account of mildness that occurs by having options that are more specific and tailored to the person.

No, it does not. In any case where autism and Asperger's Syndrome appear to be the diagnosis, the more severe form of autism wins out. There are flaws in DSM-IV concerning the speech delay. Tony Attwood himself says this in this book. Even the WHO criteria is flawed. This is a man who has countless years of experience in this field. He cites the Gillberg criteria among others as being used instead for some cases.

You also need to change your tone when you talk to people. It is bad enough you remind me of ____ when I see your words, but even worse when you remind me of _____ concerning what you think the diagnostic criteria should be seen as and what you think it is. Both members are banned and I cannot mention them by name.

EDIT: It says my post was edited without anyone below it for some reason.

Last edited by HerrGrimm on 22 Nov 2011, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

23 Nov 2011, 12:19 am

I think the criteria are being misunderstood by some.

Quote:
A. Persistent deficits in social communication and social interaction across contexts, not accounted for by general developmental delays, and manifest by all 3 of the following:

1. Deficits in social-emotional reciprocity; ranging from abnormal social approach and failure of normal back and forth conversation through reduced sharing of interests, emotions, and affect and response to total lack of initiation of social interaction,

This says "deficits in social-emotional reciprocity ranging from" and gives a range of examples. Failure of normal back and forth conversation is an example that fits this - so does reduced affect and response. Even if I didn't qualify for this under reciprocal conversation, my affect is pretty minimal and is one of the traits that's been described to me repeatedly.

Each of the criteria lists possible ways in which the criteria can be met, and it seems to me that it is easier to meet any given criterion than it is in the DSM-IV. Just counting the number of symptoms required and comparing them doesn't really provide a full picture.

MacDragard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 12:35 am

I'm glad it's harder to get diagnosed. Back in the mid-90s, kids were getting diagnosed left and right for stupid reasons. If a kid would rather sit in his room and play video games instead of go out and play soccer, he was diagnosed. If a kid constantly acted up in class, he was diagnosed. If a kid only had a few friends and didn't go to parties every weekend, he was diagnosed.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 1:25 am

Verdandi wrote:
I think the criteria are being misunderstood by some.

Quote:
A. Persistent deficits in social communication and social interaction across contexts, not accounted for by general developmental delays, and manifest by all 3 of the following:

1. Deficits in social-emotional reciprocity; ranging from abnormal social approach and failure of normal back and forth conversation through reduced sharing of interests, emotions, and affect and response to total lack of initiation of social interaction,

This says "deficits in social-emotional reciprocity ranging from" and gives a range of examples. Failure of normal back and forth conversation is an example that fits this - so does reduced affect and response. Even if I didn't qualify for this under reciprocal conversation, my affect is pretty minimal and is one of the traits that's been described to me repeatedly.

Each of the criteria lists possible ways in which the criteria can be met, and it seems to me that it is easier to meet any given criterion than it is in the DSM-IV. Just counting the number of symptoms required and comparing them doesn't really provide a full picture.

So we were taking it literal.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

23 Nov 2011, 1:31 am

League_Girl wrote:
So we were taking it literal.

It took me time to get over the phrasing, too. When I understood it better, that addressed my primary objections to the new criteria.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 2:12 am

MacDragard wrote:
I'm glad it's harder to get diagnosed. Back in the mid-90s, kids were getting diagnosed left and right for stupid reasons. If a kid would rather sit in his room and play video games instead of go out and play soccer, he was diagnosed. If a kid constantly acted up in class, he was diagnosed. If a kid only had a few friends and didn't go to parties every weekend, he was diagnosed.

True, I think part of it was an editorial mistake in the DSMIV in 1994 that allowed an individual to be diagnosed with PDD NOS, with only one of the core triad of diagnostic criteria. An individual could have only the RSBI criteria, like you say here, an abnormal obsessive interest in playing video games and other RSBI behaviors and receive a diagnosis of PDD NOS.

My understanding is they determined that a significant number of cases were getting diagnosed incorrectly because of the editorial mistake, (75%) and they changed it back in the year 2000, where two out of three of the core triad of criteria were required as they were in the DSMIII.

Quote:
Major changes were made the PDD category in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition (DSM-IV) based, in part, on a large, multi-site, international field trial. However, an editorial change was made in the description of PDDNOS during the final phase of production that had an unintended effect on the definition of PDDNOS. Instead of requiring “impairment in social interaction and in verbal or nonverbal communication skills” (DSM-III-R, p. 39), DSM-IV states that the “category should be used where there is a severe and pervasive impairment of reciprocal social interaction or verbal and nonverbal communication skills, or when stereotyped behavior, interests, and activities are present” (DSM-IV, pp. 77-78). Thus, a child with an impairment in only one area (e.g., a child with stereotyped behavior, interests and activities but without evidence of disturbed social interactions could theoretically qualify for a diagnosis of PDDNOS.

To assess the impact of the DSM-IV wording, Volkmar and colleagues performed a series of reanalyses of the DSM-IV autism/PDD field trial data (Volkmar FR, Shaffer D, First M. PDD-NOS in DSM-IV. J Autism Dev Disord 2000 Feb;30(1):74-75). A series of comparisons were conducted to evaluate sensitivity/specificity. Using clinicians' judgment of the presence or absence of PDDNOS as the standard, the DSM-IV wording had an excellent sensitivity of .98. However, the specificity was only .26, i.e., about 75% of cases identified by the clinician as not having PDDNOS (true negatives), were incorrectly identified as having PDDNOS according to the DSM-IV. These results lend support to the concern that the DSM-IV wording inappropriately broadened the PDDNOS construct. If problems are required in the social area and either communication or restricted interest (i.e., at least 2 criteria present one of which must be from the social area) the sensitivity was .89 and specificity .56.

These results supported a change in the wording of PDDNOS to revert to the original construct.

This an obscure fact but an extremely significant one considering the DSMIV is used on an international basis, and the majority of cases of ASD's are PDD NOS.

It is amazing to me that this mistake went uncorrected for 6 years, the period of time that the massive reported increase of diagnoses of ASD's was reported. The diagnoses were supposed to have been corrected in 2000, but whether or not they ever were in clinical practice is questionable.