Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

autti34
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 May 2005, 7:32 pm

ok i have had 2 jobs and both i was happer once not working anymoe i hate working becuse it only bring out all the autism and things i have a hard time with .even when they try and make it work .the boss is allways nice to me ,but coworkers make me feel like im back in school teasing me or actting like i have a contaious dezzie .i like it beter and am less stress out when im not working .i like being alone the best just in my world listeing to music /working out and stuff .and sometimes seeing friends . working make me have low self esteem
how is it for you :(

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2005, 7:59 pm

What jobs were these. I find that
behind a computer I am very
effective. Behind a cash register
is iffy, and making something I
am too methodical and step-by-step
and thus toooooo slowwwww! for their
taste.

I will repeat the question! What kind
of jobs were they?

Hmmm?
Ghosthunter

autti34
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 May 2005, 8:20 pm

one was in retail i did fiting room and putting stuff away /my other job was a litte better was an aid in day care the boss made this job for me she feel like adults with disbilyt should have a chance to work to .but it was diffultt becuse other people dont like haveing to help you i guss .i need alot of he;lp with staying fouces and nowing what to do next and not going off in to a stimm.i was there for 5 years but i left when she did i new it would be harder if anyone was giving me a bad time she help me .but im not awera enough so couldnt be left in room with to many kids .had hard time when helping them get dreesd cuse i still have trouble with zippering and buttons .and when i would put matts out for nap /.i put mats out for kids that werent there that day .i just didnt notice.i need someone all time to help me with what ever task im doing .but what strees me out even more then working .is dealing with the imbaciels who treat me like im mr or something and ignor me or talk about going and geting something on break and not even asking me making mew feel even more inveibel then i do .i lost one day with one odf the stupid teacher she was acting like an ideit .i told her it not contagious .she took a chill pill after that

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2005, 9:01 pm

auttie34 wrote:
what strees me out even more then working .is
dealing with the imbaciels who treat me like im
mr or something and ignor me or talk about
going and geting something on break and not
even asking me making mew feel even more
inveibel then i do

I remember the Mental Retardation word.
I was in elementary school. It was cherry
chase elementary and I was seeing a speech
therapist. My pronounciations were weak at
best and I spoke rather quickly at that young
age of 6-9.

I remember crying in the large field of grass and
kids(cruelity at it's worst) taunting me as
Mentally ret*d and I had no verbal recourse
then. I speak just fine and hear just fine now,
but it is these memories that affect me most
in negative jobs. I want to say F.ck You and
if I did that supervisor could fire me for being
disrespectful. DISRESPECTFUL!! !! :evil: :evil: ,
IT WAS THAT PERSON BEING DISRESPECTFUL
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: , Thus another job
would have to come since I had no recourse
and I AM NOT YOUR WALKING MATTE :evil: :roll:
:evil: :evil:

Anyways, getting back to jobs. I have had many
food ones because housed or not I had to eat.
I am more effective behind you computer,
or with a artist brush in my hand, or better
yet using my creativity and ingenius thought
and being allowed to PLAY MY STRENGTHS.

Sincerely,
Ghosthunter

autti34
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jun 2005, 6:22 am

at lest you knew you were being teasd .i had no idea .like they would run away and or try and trick me .i would chase them or fall for the trick agin .once i was in my teens i understood what being called retaed ment .becuse there was this boy on my strret who was so bad he call me names and throw stuff /one day i lost it and beat the crap out of him lol years later some of the kids who made fun off me said they were sorry.i dont understand why adults make fun of people who are diff thought that was only school stuff

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2005, 6:04 pm

I believe it is in human nature, wherever
you maybe to taunt others for your
lifting yourself higher and feeling more
superior.

I am not saying it is right! but human
nature. Think "Lord of the Flies"
and how children in common can
turn on each other for their gain
regardless of adult supervision or
not.

Think of this as a addressed issue
in the Harrypotter books. Draco
and his Slytherin slugs and
Harrypotter and his Gryffindor
supporters. How many times
have they struggled with each
other when adults weren't
around. I believe in #5 Draco
was turned into a slug-thingy
for his mothers horror when
he was going to attack Harry
in the departing train.

Then you have a "Ferret" for
Draco thanks to false-Madeye.
later he let's himself get beaten
up for Umbridges pleasure
to torment (a adult approving one)
Gryffindor in #5.

It is human nature, and well
published and illustrated in
many texts, readings, and
movies.

Sincerely,
Ghosthunter

autti34
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2005, 6:43 pm

ok i have no idea what your talking about .that post was to high leavel for me to proess :?

Feather
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jun 2005, 3:20 pm

EDIT to add: sorry about the dreadfully long post, I started typing and found I had to get it all out of my system. My apologies.

I agree about work situations, I had one job for many years and just kept getting moved round to work under different managers as the situation deteriorated with each.
Back then I'd never even heard of AS and consequently had no explanation for why I found so many things so difficult, and couldn't seem to cope with any job for long (I'm talking about office work in big offices with an emphasis on 'teamwork' )

The criticisms I received were along the lines of 'failure to follow instructions', 'doesn't work as part of the team', 'can't prioritise own workload', 'breakdown of relations with colleagues'.... I could go on for much longer, but I'm sure many here have experienced the same sort of thing.

By the time I was in my late 20s (and still never having heard of AS), I'd worked out that I had extremes of strengths and weaknesses, and even went as far as arranging with my last manager in that job to have work priority lists, tasks given to me in writing with bullet points, so that I could break it down into smaller parts, only use short sentences, confirm any verbal instructions with a written note of what had been said so that I could refer back to it etc.

Unfortunately, that didn't help. My manager was an outright bully and picked on me mercilessly. She did the same to one of my colleagues who, looking back with the knowledge I have now, was almost certainly on the autistic spectrum. I ended up getting written warnings about inappropriate behaviour in the office (basically I had a complete meltdown one day and had to go and hide in the toilets to calm down) also about my difficulty in modulating the pitch and volume of my voice, which was apparently distracting others from their work, and about time management.

I handed in my notice on the day of my hearing because I simply couldn't take any more, all I could do at work that day was sit whimpering, rocking, and crying. I lost the ability to speak at the hearing because of the stress. Thankfully my union rep was brilliant (it was only down to him that I was employed for so long, he stepped in to help me many many times) and he managed to stop me getting fired, but I couldn't go through with the hearing and handed in my notice.

This left me with contradictory feelings - on the one hand I was glad to be free - I had no money, but I was so much happier. On the other hand, I had come to believe that I must be stupid because of my failures, either that or paranoid - had every manager I'd ever had really bullied me?

I found out about AS a while after that when I was semi-sort-of-unofficially diagnosed. Thinking about it, I don't think it would have made the slightest difference to my work situation had I known earlier, it wouldn't have made my manager treat me with respect or fairness.

The whole experience left me with a lot of anxiety about working. I tried temping for a while but the unstructured nature of the work and the constant threat of huge change and disruption made my anxiety worse.

Fortunately I now have a temporary job working in a very small office with some very nice and tolerant people. They don't know about my AS, and I'm not going to tell them - I don't want to be viewed as incapable or disabled, and I don't want to be patronised by well meaning but ignorant people. The job doesn't stress me at all and they don't need me to work fixed hours, so if I am having problems in the morning organising myself sufficiently to catch the early train it doesn't matter. The tasks I have to perform are routine and boring, and I would like to do something more challenging in an area of strength or involving my interests - but at least I'm earning some money and not coming home every night stimming and unable to string a sentence together. It has helped give me hope that there are workplaces where I can fit in and perform well, and my work anxiety is now improving considerably.

autti34
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jun 2005, 3:36 pm

well i wanted to quite retail but my parents wanted me to stay becuse they new my opition were limted the only reasion i got hire i ffound this out later was becuse of my look .i wonder why we all look like we jump out of a magizine lol .they got in trouble for this at some point that when i found out .my ot help me fill out a job applition and stuff they new i had a disibility
and new what i could and count do .but the co workers were the pain in my butt .but most of the mangers were ok and would tell me what to say if any of the workers werent beiung nice .there were a few butt heads but most try .but i get anzigty from trying to deal with the loud noise floresnt light .when ever there were sales omg .my boss had to put me in one place at front of the store .or something .becuse i would start looping i do this in stores that are over stimultaing or in a place toi much going on .and since i have no comcepte of time they had to be very direct at what time to come back from break .then.i stop working there i took care of my neice and newphew hafe a day .thsat was hard but less streefull then working in mall .any job i had the boss has try to make it work .it just co workers who act stuipd

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2005, 8:00 pm

auttie34 wrote:
well i wanted to quite retail but my parents
wanted me to stay becuse they new my
opition were limted the only reasion i got hire
i ffound this out later was becuse of my look

Hmmmm? Please explain? Too vague?
I hope you don't mind!! !!?

auttie34 wrote:
i wonder why we all look like we jump out of a
magizine lol .they got in trouble for this at some
point that when i found out .my ot help me fill
out a job applition and stuff they new i had a
disibility

Again, Magazine? Describe your appearance
because my pictorial brain is see model pictures.
Again, I hope you don't mind this probing of
thoughts you express.

auttie34 wrote:
i get anzigty from trying to deal with the loud
noise floresnt light .when ever there were sales
omg .my boss had to put me in one place at
front of the store .or something .becuse i would
start looping i do this in stores that are over
stimultaing or in a place toi much going on .and
since i have no comcepte of time they had to be
very direct at what time to come back from break

Stimming on the job, tell me about it, at least
your boss understood. This is a good sign.
Why did you leave a accepting job(minus
the negative people there you mentioned)?

What were the motivations for leaving beyond
a few bad employee's?

auttie34 wrote:
i stop working there i took care of my neice
and newphew hafe a day .thsat was hard but
less streefull then working in mall .any job i
had the boss has try to make it work .it just
co workers who act stuipd

I have to agree. Since the husband/owner
of the Quizno's franchise left, I am his Wife/owner
of the Quizno's franchise are at a point where
she wants to let me go. I have no defense,
and she doesn't grasp my autism, along with
the supervisor that I have conflict with.

Is that a good reason to leave a supportive
job? I understand when I leave Quizno's
and find a less expensive place to live so
I can return to school, and have a better
hour'd job that if the managment can't
work with you, I then understand leaving.

I don't see this being the case based on
what you said?????????

Hmmmm? Hope you don't mind my probing?
Ghosthunter

autti34
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jun 2005, 8:17 pm

THEY FIRED ME AT REATIL .I GUSS NEW MANGER AND STUFF .THAT THEY WERE HIGING ONLY ACTTRED PEOPLE NOT ONE UGLY OR OVER WEIGHT .I HAD DONE A LITTE MODILG .I WAS IN A FASHION SHOW IN APRIL FOR A AUTISM FUND RASIR .BUT I NEED ONE ON ONE HELP .MY STIMM ARE ULSY ROCKING BACK AND FOURTH .OR PACING GETING LOST IN THE MIRROS AND STUFF LOOPING WHEN OVER WHELMED STUFF LIKE THAT

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2005, 11:52 pm

I didn't mean to upset you that badly!
I am sorry that I did upset you.

Hmmmm? A model for the Autism event?
That sounds intriguing, and I never heard
of it. Perhaps you may want to give some
details on that?

Otherwise I am glad that you are here at
WrongPlanet, and I didn't mean to upset