Sunday School is a good social learning ground for Aspies

Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 9:52 am

My church's youth group was AWESOME. We would have one short prayer at the beginning of a meeting, and spend the rest of the time coming up with social activities and fundraisers. We got the congregation to pay for us to see "The Phantom of the Opera" and stay in a hotel! :lol:

Magdalena
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Mar 2012, 11:50 am

unduki wrote:
Magdalena wrote:
You know what? I think that this whole thread is a subtle attempt to garner support for the OP's religion. Therefore I will not contribute to the questions this thread poses.

My post is about a religious institution but not about religion. You've completely missed my point. I'm sad you need to think that way, but that's your choice. I'm sure we will miss your contribution.

The religious institution is part of the religion. Q.E.D.

To the mods: as a user of this site, I highly object to this thread's "re-relocation" from the PPR forum to the Social Skills forum, especially at the request of the OP. It bothers me to go into a forum dedicated to a sensitive topic (in this case, users' often-painful social struggles) and discover a thread whose obvious sole purpose is to tacitly proselytize me and other users. This thread subtly pressures us to humor the OP and his or her interests by asking ourselves questions of a religious nature that we would have to ask ourselves in order to relevantly contribute to the topic introduced by the OP!! ! Not appropriate for a forum like this.

I hope that this thread can be moved back to the PPR forum where it belongs, as this is an utterly political topic by its very nature.

Your Aspie score: 130 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 90 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie
EQ Score: 37/100 ("low empathy")

Last edited by Magdalena on 01 Mar 2012, 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 11:57 am

Not all religion is "fundamental christian bible thumping hellfire". I suppose it might too far outside many's comfort zone to go and check a church or worship place out before taking one's child there. And there are other beliefs too. If the point of the exercise is socialization and introduction to the idea that others may not share the same beliefs as you, then approach it with that in mind.

Geez, people. Stop being so self righteous about not believing in god...

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 12:01 pm

Quote:
Not all religion is "fundamental christian bible thumping hellfire".

Very true and those types are probably in the minority. They just make the most noise so you notice them more. I think most Christians don't feel the need to interfere with your life.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 12:37 pm

Aimless wrote:
Quote:
Not all religion is "fundamental christian bible thumping hellfire".
... I think most Christians don't feel the need to interfere with your life.

Oh, if only our governments felt the same...

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 4:38 pm

Magdalena wrote:
You know what? I think that this whole thread is a subtle attempt to garner support for the OP's religion. Therefore I will not contribute to the questions this thread poses.

Harsh on the OPs part.

She's just letting people know that there are ways to get you to better yourself and you don't have to attend them if you don't want to.

Very enlightening OP, and I try to go to as many social activities as possible! Unfortunately for me...my church(es) are small as our community is also small (and not very nice overall), so I doubt a SS exists in my area.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

01 Mar 2012, 6:13 pm

Magdalena wrote:
To the mods: as a user of this site, I highly object to this thread's "re-relocation" from the PPR forum to the Social Skills forum, especially at the request of the OP. It bothers me to go into a forum dedicated to a sensitive topic (in this case, users' often-painful social struggles) and discover a thread whose obvious sole purpose is to tacitly proselytize me and other users. This thread subtly pressures us to humor the OP and his or her interests by asking ourselves questions of a religious nature that we would have to ask ourselves in order to relevantly contribute to the topic introduced by the OP!! ! Not appropriate for a forum like this.

I hope that this thread can be moved back to the PPR forum where it belongs, as this is an utterly political topic by its very nature.
As stated in the thread earlier, I did consider it PPR material - but now the OP has explained her intentions for this thread I have to respect them, which is why I moved it back to Social Skills.
I can only suggest that you address your concerns about what you believe to be the purpose of this thread to the OP.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 6:27 pm

Cornflake wrote:
I can only suggest that you address your concerns about what you believe to be the purpose of this thread to the OP.

What determines the actual benefit of an action: The intentions or the results?

If the intentions matter more, then one could walk in to a Sunday-School class and teach evolution with the expressed intent of preparing the Sunday-School students for socializing in a secular environment, and not be kicked out for teaching heresy.

If results matter more, then one could walk into any secular schoolroom and preach Salvation, so that those who accept the teaching would be saved from eternal damnation, regardless of the wishes of those who participate in the classroom environment.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 6:29 pm

Fnord wrote:
Cornflake wrote:

If the intentions matter more, then one could walk in to a Sunday-School class and teach evolution with the expressed intent of preparing the Sunday-School students for socializing in a secular environment, and not be kicked out for teaching heresy.

If results matter more, then one could walk into any secular schoolroom and preach Salvation, so that those who accept the teaching would be saved from eternal damnation, regardless of the wishes of those who participate in the classroom environment.

Quaker knows...

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

01 Mar 2012, 6:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
With respect to this thread, I can't comment. You'll need to discuss it with the OP.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Mar 2012, 6:50 pm

shrox wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Cornflake wrote:

Quaker knows...

This guy :?:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 6:51 pm

nick007 wrote:
shrox wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Cornflake wrote:

Quaker knows...

This guy :?:

Well, he sure knows his oats! Little behind on fashion though...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 7:34 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
With respect to this thread, I can't comment. You'll need to discuss it with the OP.

Thus the public nature of the post.