Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2005, 5:18 pm

As some of you are aware, I have what probably amounts to an "orientation" for my new job on Monday. Aside from that, one issue I have is trying to keep busy. Now, as a cashier, this is rarely going to be a problem - except if I have to work nights. Any advice or suggestions on how to deal with this problem?

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2005, 5:24 pm

If you do find a time where you are not busy, keep some cleaner nearby and clean everything on the register. This includes the belts, keys, screens, etc. Also, make sure that the candy/magazine/soda racks on your register are neat.

Some other tips include:

1) When you have no customers, lock your register. That will stop the timer for items per minute (a big deal with grocery stores).

2) Learn the produce register codes and use them.

3) If something does not scan, type in the UPC number first. That helps Items per minute.

That is all I have for now. Good Luck.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jun 2005, 9:11 pm

Since I last talked about this, I have had my oreintation (per se) and come in for two working sessions (Sunday afternoon and last night.) That Monday (May 23) was just to accept the position of cashier (read: front end) and get my drug screening.

However, I feel that the higher-ups have been dragging their feet (if not another part of their anatomy) since that point in time. My parents told me that these little "cliffhangers" are -- to use a British English expression -- "just not cricket." Should I tell the aforementioned management about this or should I keep it to myself?

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2005, 9:54 am

call them and ask questions about times and general info, but it might be fatal to your carreer to acuse them of dragging their feet!

But don't be shy about calling them up if you can

PeterMacKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2005, 12:33 pm

NYAspie wrote:
and get my drug screening.

Gah! Mandatory drug testing runs afoul of my ethical and sociological views. Hasn't anything been learned from the days when sexuality, religious views and skin colour were all grounds for dismissal (and sometimes illegal, for the first case)?

Interesting article on the subject:

http://www.stpt.usf.edu/hhl/papers/drug.testing.htm

Quote:
Here's my suggestion. If a belief or activity is irrelevant to job performance, it is none of the employer's business. She cannot rightly prescribe or proscribe it, nor can she even inquire about it. If privacy is to mean anything it must mean at least that. The following example, I think, illustrates this principle. Suppose an employer wants to examine an employee's blood, not to detect illegal drugs, but to determine if she has elevated serum cholesterol. Anyone with elevated levels is given three months to lower her cholesterol to appropriate levels. If she fails, she is dismissed. Moreover, let us stipulate, what is likely true, that elevated cholesterol does not directly affect an employee's job performance. The employer recognizes that. She just refuses to retain people who are unhealthy. Under these circumstances such tests would be unreasonable and their unreasonableness would not be exhausted by the Fourth Amendment's prohibitions on unreasonable searches. In fact, as I argued earlier, it is doubtful whether the Fourth Amendment is directly relevant to the present inquiry.

Likewise, employers should not be able to control employees' behavior which, although marginally related to job performance, is primarily private. For instance, elevated serum cholesterol may be remotely relevant to job performance: People with elevated cholesterol are more likely to suffer heart attacks and die; the employer must subsequently train a replacement. That is expensive. Under such circumstances, permitting employers to specify an employee's serum cholesterol fails to draw an appropriate distinction between the public and the private. If testing were permissible under these circumstances, employers could also forbid their employees to smoke, drink, climb mountains, drive race cars and eat fried chicken -- or any other activity which might shorten their lives. That, however, would give employers extensive control over employees' private lives. And most assuredly that limits employees' privacy in ways which should horrify us.

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2005, 9:54 am

Quote:
Gah! Mandatory drug testing runs afoul of my ethical and sociological views. Hasn't anything been learned from the days when sexuality, religious views and skin colour were all grounds for dismissal (and sometimes illegal, for the first case)?

I would hate to get crushed under a 70-ton press if the crane operator was high. . . .I think drug testing is a legit concern but I do think some of the drugs they test are a bit riddicolus (amphetamines, etc)

PeterMacKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2005, 12:51 pm

There's a huge difference between being unfit for work, whether it be through a flu, alcohol, anti-depressants or cocain, and being found with traces of cannabinols in your system, which could be from your holiday weeks before and have no bearing on your ability to do your job. If it was only a matter of ensuring that workers were fit for work, a simple test along the lines of drink driving tests before brethalysers were available (walk along the line, etc), administered randomly or as part of the sign in process each morning, would be far less invasive, and would cover all or at least a far greater range of causes of unfitness; not just the ones that are particularly socially and politically unpopular at the time.

I wouldn't want to get crushed under a 70 tonne press if the crane operator hadn't slept in 24 hours and was unable to effectively control the crane due to arthritus that had set in since their license was last renewed, but people insist on spending money chasing boogymen rather than on solving problems on a 'most problematic first' basis.