Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

SkywavesLI
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jun 2004, 12:15 am

Hi to everyone,

I'm a new member of WrongPlanet.net and I wanted to introduce myself. This is not something I would normally do, but due to the fact that this website should have a "community" feeling, and being motivated by the topic "Who there, stand and unfold yourself," I will introduce myself. I posted a little introduction under that topic ("Who there, stand and unfold yourself"), so for some it might be a little redundant (you don't need to read, if you don't want to).

Anyway, my name is Andrew. I'm currently attending high school. I love ham radios (or, amateur radios). I especially like DX (long-distance) contacts on the radio, and contesting (with the goal of trying to make as many contacts as possible). Many would say radio is my life, and I would agree. I also talk a AM on the radio, who is around my age, and that is always fun.

The friend of mine who heavily believes that I have AS, was the first one to tell me about AS. I do not know 100% if I'm a AM, but I do find some very close similarities. I also have had many people suggest that I do have AS, or at least something similar, or associated, with AS. By the way, I’m not officially diagnosed with any syndrome, or anything to that extent, yet.

I also like to listen to my radio scanner. This allows me to listen to the radio transmissions of the police, fire, security (including school security), airplanes, etcetera. I also like listening to recordings of radios.

My "nickname" for the website is "SkywavesLI" because when I think of radios, I can imagine very clearly the radio waves traveling through the sky. Skywaves is also one method by which radio waves can propagate, and that method is when a radio wave travels all the way up to the ionosphere (upper-layer of the atmosphere) and is reflected by it.

The suffix of my "nickname" is "LI" since it is the roman numeral for the number 51 (and I like roman numerals). Fifty-one (51) is my favorite number since I used to like the numbers one (1) and five (5). If one where to combine them (not add them), they could either create the number 15 or 51. Well, being stuck on this decision for a while, I decided to go with the larger number since, people always seem to want more and more (and thus larger).

Now, if one where to add them it would create the number 6, which along with 2 and 4, (notice, all evens) are my sort of “OCD” numbers. In other words, when I do something that is OC, it usually relates to those numbers (2, 4, and 6, with 6 being the maximum). By, the way the fact that 5 and 1 happen to add up to 6 (one of my “OCD” numbers, and happens to be my “maximum” OCD number) is a coincidence, but I found it a real interesting one.

It just so happens that 51MHz is also a frequency designated for use for ham radios, and that "Area 51" exists. I also attach a very nice modern image with the number 51, so its appealing to me. I have also adapted the number 5424064 (or 5,424,064, whichever format you prefer) as a favorite number. I declared it in the month of March as my favorite number, replacing number 51, but I just cannot get away from the number 51. Although 5,424,064 remains as a second favorite number. By the way, the reason 5424064 is my second favorite number is since it sounds so neat, and there is rational reason, but I wish not to explain at this time.

Anyway, I think I have bored everyone by now. And I might consider deleting a lot of what I wrote, since most of it is just rambling. Which is something I do very often. But I will not since it will give extra information to those who want it, and for those who don't want it, they do not need to read it. It probably also gives more information about my personality. I look forward on being active on this website.

Thanks,

Andrew (SkywavesLI)

Footnotes

- My avatar is a small section of the LCD display of the Icom 7800. The new ultimate ham radio (cost about $10,600). That is a very attractive radio, and I drool over that radio. By the way, I did operate that radio, and made a contact using it, one time.

- Just to explain my signature (which is a quote), since many people cannot figure it out. It means that if one dies, he/she will live in their current state of death forever. I came up with that quote by the way (some classes are just so boring).

- This was the same introduction I used on Aspergia.com, not long ago. Sorry if its redundant, but I really did not see the need to type a new one all over again, when I already have one. Although, I would not be surprized if I would have. Anyway, nice being here. And cheers to Wrong Planet(.net)!

- By the way, "Skywavesli" is also my nickname on Aspergia.com.

sparkplugloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2004, 2:05 am

Welcome SkywavesLI,

I found your introduction very interesting. I am not particularly into radio right now because I do not have the possibility to work on it, but I used to have a radio and radio scanner when I was younger (I wrote "have" but it was not actually mine, it was just one I had the right to use when I wanted, but then we moved, this is why I do not use it anymore) therefore for a while, I did like you.

I like waves. You may think it is a little weird, but I like the word, and I like to imagine them travelling in different environments, like the sky as you said, or others sometimes.

I do not think I like roman numerals as you do, but I think it is an interesting way to count things, because it is clear.
My favorite number is five (5) because I think it is a geometrically perfect number : it has both a start of a circle and of a square, and you find these shapes in a world-famous Da Vinci's work.

Loy