Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Doubutsu
Raven
Raven

24 Nov 2012, 3:21 pm

I'll be taking risperidone for four more months because three months ago I experienced some kind of mania. I was hospitalized, they gave me overdose to keep me feeling bad, I was a trembling zombie, they also invented symptons that I didn't have, it was a bad experience, I think I hate psychologists now. Thanks to another psychiatrist that noticed the situation I went out of there and now I'm in low dose of risperidone (0.5 mg). The problem is that I feel really bored, I used to switch to one interest to other and become obssesed, but now there is nothing, I don't feel the pleasure I used to feel when I find something related to my interests, it's like being depressed but without feeling sad, I'm apathetic, my family thinks it's the other side of the mania, I think it's the risperdal, which also took away my sex drive. My psychiatrist said he doesn't think I need the medication anymore, but that I should take it just in case, I don't know if I should tell him about the boredom, I'm afraid he could say that I'm depressed and give me more drugs or maybe I got luck and he takes away the medication, or maybe I should shut up and endure this months of emptyness. I'm also afraid because I've read that sex drive won't come back, my family doesn't think it's important because I don't have boyfriends (I don't get in love), but it is important to me.

Last edited by Doubutsu on 28 Nov 2012, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 6:18 pm

Doubutsu wrote:
I think I hate psychologists now. Thanks to another psychiatrist that noticed the situation I went out of there and now I'm in low dose of risperidone (0.5 mg). The problem is that I feel really bored, I used to switch to one interest to other and become obssesed, but now there is nothing, I don't feel the pleasure I used to feel when I find something related to my interests, it's like being depressed but without feeling sad,

I think I hate psychologists too - the study of seems to be overrated. I too was lucky to find a good psychiatrist.

Took Risperidone for a year or so. It really helped. But you describe the feeling really well. "Depressed without being sad." Like the pain is removed, but so is the passion. Right now the lack of pain is preferable to the enjoyment of passion for me.

I don't know whether you should tell your psychiatrist or not. I told mine once that I was feeling dull and distanced from myself. I was hoping for her to increase the dosage of my anti-depressant, but instead she decreased it.

Sarah81
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2012, 1:46 am

It's important to communicate well with your psychiatrist. He or she should also communicate well with you. But if you don't communicate then he or she can't treat you properly.

bigdaveangell2000
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2012, 3:21 am

What you described is a possible side effect for just about all anti-psychotics and anti-depressants. Im a firm believer in being completely honest with your psychiatrist. Being that your on a psychotropic medication that alters brain chemistry its very important for you psychiatrist to know if your having any side effect no matter how trivial it is, and once your doctor knows exactly whats going on, they can adjust the med, switch you to something else or take you off of it entirely.

Im just curious, you dont have to answer if you dont want to, but are you on any other meds besides the Risperione? If you truly do have bipolar disorder, its almost unheard of for someone to not be on any meds.

I know exactly how you feel about psychiatrists and psych hospitals and it depends on where you get placed how well you are taken care of. Ive been in an out of hospitals for almost 3 years and Ive had 6 or 8 psychiatrists. Some of them just put me on a med and their answer to it not working was always just increase the dose, Ive also had some just plain stupid doctors that really shouldnt be practicing medicine.

Doubutsu
Raven
Raven

16 Dec 2012, 7:01 pm

bigdaveangell2000 wrote:
Im just curious, you dont have to answer if you dont want to, but are you on any other meds besides the Risperione? If you truly do have bipolar disorder, its almost unheard of for someone to not be on any meds.

No, only risperidone. My current psychiatrist doesn't think I'm bipolar, he thinks that my mania was induced by sleep deprivation. I haven't told him about the apathy, but I have good news, he lowered the dosage and told me that I'll quit risperidone on january :D My previous psychiatrist wanted me to take meds for life.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 9:13 am

You should either talk to your psychiatrist about anything relevant (which includes this issue), or if you do not trust him to provide proper treatment you should change doctors.

In order to help you, the psychiatrist needs to have the full picture of what's going on.