Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Sep 2012, 1:18 pm

Raziel wrote:
phyrehawke wrote:
Every once in awhile I get tics in my eyelids, mostly only when I'm under a great deal of stress when I've been working. Docs have called them blepharospasms I think? Nobody has ever made a connection between them and tourettes, but they have certainly been called a tic, and I've been told all sorts of things make them worse (stress, too much caffiene, too much chocolate, need of a vacation, lack of sleep, etc).

Those aren't tics, it's a spasm of the muscle of the eye. I have it too, it's a pretty rare desease, just one in 20.000 people in the US have it, most of them hyspanic and especially older women. :lol:
They are also highly genetic.
And I have it too! 8O
:D

Spasms also get worse be stress and so on, nearly everything does.

I had ticks in my eyelids when I was taking antipsychotics; Abilify was the worst for that. I sometimes suddenly moved other body parts or they kind of jerked without really paying much attention or even realizing it sometimes. The psychs called them tics

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 1:29 pm

nick007 wrote:
I had ticks in my eyelids when I was taking antipsychotics; Abilify was the worst for that. I sometimes suddenly moved other body parts or they kind of jerked without really paying much attention or even realizing it sometimes. The psychs called them tics

Those are dyskinesias caused through an antipsychotic.

phyrehawke
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Sep 2012, 9:47 pm

Well I think I saw you mention this once before Raziel, but didn't realize you were talking about the same thing! Isn't it a spasm of the eyelid muscle, not the eye? I'm female, but not hispanic, and I was young when it started being a bother...late 20's I think? It was right after a really major life change though. If it's 1 in 20,000 there should be a few of us in 70,000 members here on WP? People just called it a "tic" but never suggested tourettes probably because I am anything but twitchy and impulsive, lol...so I knew I did not have that but when the tic/stim subject came up I wasn't thinking "tourettes", I was only thinking how annoying that is not to be able to stop it, very unlike a stim. I have known one guy with tourettes, who apologized for having it when he meant to do something fun impulsively and hurt me instead, because he didn't know I had something wrong and I didn't think it was everybody's business. I didn't know what tourette's was until then. To me it was like all of his emotions were on high all the time, and he loved to start fun. But I understood it's not always fun too.

You and I seem to have quite a bit in common. I don't think I've mentioned it but Bipolar runs in both sides of my family too. When I have symptoms (never real bad as bipolar goes) it's usually in reaction to something and the rest of the time I'm okay. Like you say, stress makes things worse.

Raziel wrote:
phyrehawke wrote:
Every once in awhile I get tics in my eyelids, mostly only when I'm under a great deal of stress when I've been working. Docs have called them blepharospasms I think? Nobody has ever made a connection between them and tourettes, but they have certainly been called a tic, and I've been told all sorts of things make them worse (stress, too much caffiene, too much chocolate, need of a vacation, lack of sleep, etc).

Those aren't tics, it's a spasm of the muscle of the eye. I have it too, it's a pretty rare desease, just one in 20.000 people in the US have it, most of them hyspanic and especially older women. :lol:
They are also highly genetic.
And I have it too! 8O

Spasms also get worse be stress and so on, nearly everything does.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 2:39 am

phyrehawke wrote:
Well I think I saw you mention this once before Raziel, but didn't realize you were talking about the same thing! Isn't it a spasm of the eyelid muscle, not the eye? I'm female, but not hispanic, and I was young when it started being a bother...late 20's I think?

Sorry, I actually meant caucation and yes the eyelid, must have been tired. :oops:
And I'm also not an older woman. :wink:

phyrehawke wrote:
People just called it a "tic" but never suggested tourettes

No, a blepharospasm is not a real tic, it's more a spasm, but a highly gentic one. :D

phyrehawke wrote:
You and I seem to have quite a bit in common.

Yes :D

[quote="phyrehawke"]I don't think I've mentioned it but Bipolar runs in both sides of my family too. When I have symptoms (never real bad as bipolar goes) it's usually in reaction to something and the rest of the time I'm okay. Like you say, stress makes things worse.[quote]

Actually in mine not really, but my half-brother was schizophrenic and also noone in my family is or was I know of and I have a Bipolar suspicion and also noone in my family had this diagnosis befor. 8O
So I don't know what's going on here...! :?
But I have some BAD people in my family and many who are excentric.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 11:30 pm

tourettes = condition

stimming = activity

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml

Matto
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Dec 2012, 9:15 pm

GumbyLives wrote:
sometimes I do face stuff when I'm under a lot of stress or in a loud environment, too. Like blinking, squeezing my eyes shut and sniffing, grimacing in a twitch-like manner, etc., all fairly quickly and repeatedly until I'm out of the loud environment, need to hide it because I'm around unsupportive peopled, or out of big stress again.

Individuals with Aspergers tend to stim, tic, or both because Aspergers and Tourettes some how function on the same spectrum. I blink and shrug my shoulders every day or so but your tics can decrease or increase. I had a lot of tics in high school, but not so much now after college. I tend to tic a lot in loud environments.

One thing I learned: do not hold in your tics. It feels like death. Like sometimes during work, I look down when it looks like I'm typing to blink. Try and find a way to do it without being to suspicious.