Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

bornlie
Raven
Raven

16 Dec 2012, 1:06 pm

I was with depression, anxiety and depression back in August. I was placed on effexor. I was doing fine until my dosage was increased over time. I was someone who was hardly ever angry, and when I was angry it was just usually at family. Instead of getting angry at people I would get depressed. Now I tend to lash out on people. I still get depressed but I get depressed after sulking for days. Things do not effect me as much as they used to at first but the aftereffects of my emotions are too much for me to handle. I do not know how to deal with this intense emotion. I would just say screw it and quit my medication but they help with my anxiety so much. What do I do? How do I handle the emotion? I do not know how to deal with anger or angry people for that matter.

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 2:02 pm

How about decreasing the dosage little by little until you reach a state where it evens out? Depression is sh***y but won't get you into trouble like anger outbursts possibly will.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 4:47 pm

I never recommend self-adjusting medications, but my boyfriend got increased on an SSRI and starting going completely nuts., I told him to go back to the previous dosage and then to notify the doctor. He was fine again and his doctor let him stay at the old dosage.

So if you are sure it's from the anti-depressant, then reduce it, but then tell the doctor about ASAP.

bornlie
Raven
Raven

16 Dec 2012, 7:40 pm

PTSmorrow wrote:
How about decreasing the dosage little by little until you reach a state where it evens out? Depression is sh***y but won't get you into trouble like anger outbursts possibly will.

thank you for the recommendation !

Stargazinglette
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Dec 2012, 2:03 pm

i started having depression because of my PTSD when i was in grade 11 and i also have asperger's. this is the hardest thing to deal with at the time because i have so many emotions.

AGX-15
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Dec 2012, 3:38 am

PTSmorrow wrote:

This is extremely important. I have been on Effexor, and it did initially help my depression noticably but the effects tapered off. However, missing even a single dose left me with significant withdrawl symptoms. Night sweats and a bizarre waking dream-like state in which I felt as though whatever separated the conscious from unconscious in my mind had been dissolved, like racing thoughts but with an awareness that ideas, memories and knowledge that are buried deep down are flowing by rapidly. An interesting experience, albeit not one I'd call pleasant. That said, it's preferable to consult your psychiatrist/therapist before adjusting medication levels.