Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2012, 12:09 pm

So, I know most people tic when they get stressed, or feel strong emotions.
I don't tend to see much of a difference with stress changes, but I notice a strong tendency to tic in places that are causing sensory overload.
Also, I tic more when I'm relaxed. Which seems odd.
Does anyone else have this sort of thing?

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 3:52 pm

idratherbeatree wrote:
I don't tend to see much of a difference with stress changes, but I notice a strong tendency to tic in places that are causing sensory overload.

I have face tics which is very hard for me to control in public even. However, when I stim with my favorite object I don't tic.

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2012, 6:38 pm

I also notice a reduction in Tics when I stim. Interesting.

lizzybeth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2012, 7:48 pm

I am diagnosed with Tourette's and I as well notice my tics act up, when I am in sensory overload. I went on vacation with my family to New york city a couple of years ago, and man was I miserable. My eyes were blinking non stop, and my vocal tics were going insane. There were too many bright lights, smells, people, honking of cars. I won't go back there.

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2012, 1:59 am

I don't have tourette's but my bf of 11 years does. Here are my thoughts regarding this:

1) when my bf gets extremely stressed (family-related stress especially are a problem for him since he can't escape that very well), he ticks a lot (and I do mean a lot) more (doesn't help that his family is pretty much insane).

2) maybe sensory overload IS what is causing you to get stressed out, a lot more than you realize. Maybe you make a pretty good cover aside from externalizing it with tics to not realize how stressed out you are in that environment.

3) bf will sometimes tic more in a relaxing environment-- there is a way some people with tourette's save some of their tics for later (whether they hold off because they think people won't understand or be distracted by it, or how it's just not a good time to do it, i.e. bf doesn't tic as much when he's driving to pay more attention to the road), and this is what this sounds like. Even though he might not be in a stressful environment, he is in a safe environment to unleash those extra tics that he had been saving up for later.

Matto
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Dec 2012, 9:20 pm

idratherbeatree wrote:
I tic more when I'm relaxed.

We all have tics, but we don't want to release them in front of other people. When you're "relaxed", you get the feeling that you really are alone, so you tic so much its painful. I cannot tell you how many times this has happened to me.

Leola
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Dec 2012, 11:04 am

Sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference between tics, compulsions, and stims. My tics are usually worse when I'm nervous, but my tics have flare-ups sometimes even when I'm not nervous.

I engage in more fidgety, self-stimulating behaviors either under stress or relaxation, or while I'm studying.

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2012, 10:46 pm

Tics are negative, stims are positive.
Tics are shorter, stims are repeated fluidly over a period of time.
Compulsions relieve anxiety, and are attached to a fear. (Technical DSM definition)

ezrinjaz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Dec 2012, 9:52 am

idratherbeatree wrote:

I've noticed I tic worst when I'm stressed, tired, and in places with sensory overload which would a form of stress. I taught myself to knit and crochet which before reading this thread I had never heard of stimming, but I noticed the repetitive motions soothe me and I don't tic as much.