aaronkt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jul 2005, 7:10 pm

SOK wrote:
Whats "Punked"?

I dont usually waste time watching things like music, unless its a song I like

This topic is called "Do you think MTV is fake?" its not fake, just crap

Punked is a show hosted by Aston Kutcher where they play practical jokes on celebrities.

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jul 2005, 8:14 pm

Music to me is sound not music videos. I have heard many songs first then saw the video and it was awful. I prefer audio only like the first music video on mtv said music video killed the radio star. :( Not that radio was much better but it was sound only. Both radio and mtv exist to play music on the hope you will buy yourself a over priced copy of it. Iam happy that music can be sold for alot cheaper online. 8) and hopeful the artist gets more for playing music.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2005, 8:22 pm

I don't watch MTV that much. Sometimes I do when I'm in the mood for it. I like the shows on VH1 more.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2005, 12:16 am

Since when was it a matter of thinking?

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2005, 5:23 am

But then VH1 is starting to lose some of that music edge also.

"I love the "insert decade here"' has nothing to do with music, it is just nostalgia. Besides when is the 90s considered nostalgia? Especially the end of the decade? I admit that I, myself still feel like I am in the 90s (mid-90s especially) but not enough to deem it nostalgic.
Best week ever? I thought that last week was the best week ever, whatever!

The Fabulous life of "insert so-called celebrity" here: Okay a newer twist of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" but one celeb at a time.

So where's the music?

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2005, 5:32 am

I started watching MTV around '92 or '93 when they still had videos but were tinkering with "The Real World" and such other realtiy shows. Even their specials such as "Sex and the 90s" were pushing the "music" network into newsy like arenas targeted to the youth crowd. If they want to do something like that, they need to have a couple older people, at least in their late 30s or 40s to make it seem respectable as long tas the personnel (young and old) seem respectable. I wouldn't accept news if done by some kid in a non-serious fashion.

I quit watching around '98 (19 y.o) when MTV moved to Times Sq. and replaced the entire crew and of course when TRL came on.

Top-20 countdowns - good
MTV Most Wanted - okay (without too much annoyance)
TRL - blecch

Beavis and Butthead - good (at least B&B rated videos)
Liquid Television - okay

Remote Control - good (did music trivia)
Singled Out - blech (some funny stuff, okay at first - maybe not)

MrMeaner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2005, 6:14 pm

mtv is just a shell of its former self..it will never return to its former glory..i'm afraid vh1 is headed the same direction..i think it already has

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2005, 6:55 pm

MTV nor VH1 shouldn't have to rely on music videos too much. But then I understand that viewers wanted to listen to music on TV, therefore videos gave it a more worthwhile approach, as long as the vids improved as time went on.

Music documentaries such as Vh1's "Behind the Music" and even "MTV Rockumentary" were useful to educate about certain artists pasts.

Game shows such as "Remote Control" were good to test viewers knowledge in music.
Vh1 had a couple short run game shows such as "My Generation" where two teams of 2 representing different eras (read: year of HS graduation). See how much they know about their own time and how much they know about the other teams time. For example (Class of '72 vs. Class of '97)
Then of course "Rock and Roll Jeopardy" Just like the original but musical categories.

I don't know about now but when I started watching at least they had shows dedicated to different musical genres.

Headbanger's Ball for the hard rock and metalheads.
MTV Jams for the urban appeal
YO! for the rap fans
120 Minutes for the alt rockers (indie labels especially)

Of course that is pretty much all forgotten in many aspects.

Maybe someone needs to start a new pure music channel. Artist of the past, present, and future. Music ettiquette and learning and of course multiple genre-based programs.

If many still believe it corrupts music and turns artists into "sell-outs" at least their would be a more flexible and meaningful approach to music.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2005, 10:00 pm

I'd like to see a music show where they have plenty of clips and not too much silly messing around between clips. That said, I also think it is good to have an intro something like: "and today, we will be playing new clips from x, y and z and some old favourites, too".

I find it hard to follow when they don't put the name of the song and the artist along the bottom of the clip for long enough so I can write it down and look in the shops for the CD (if it is something I really like, that is)

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2005, 12:10 am

I was looking at the following lineup on MTV for the week;

Nothing but reality or drama junk. The only videos they show are either on TRL and a couple hours dedicated to hip-hop. The only time you see videos non-stop are between 4AM and 10AM. So that leaves about 6 hours of general music videos, 2 to 3 showings of TRL and a couple more hours of something else. The rest... basura.

The weekend isn't any better as they keep showing marathons and mini-marathons of programs. Usually the "Real World and Road Rules Challenges" Do they even show Road Rules anymore?

Top 20 countdown... early morning on Saturdays I think.

Vh1 isn't any better. early morning videos. a few more videos in the day with some programs airing newer videos and some specials about old videos, bad videos and other stuff. So they make about 10 to 12 hours of music stuff, the rest is all reality, entertainment, and celebiry profiles in which you should be tuning to the E Network for in the first place.

So my final verdict has to be that VH1 is as officially dead as MTV and as fake.

At least I get VH1 Classic (shows lots of 80s videos), and MTV Hits on digital along with MTV Español. I can get FUSE, but I have to expand my package.

Does anyone know if FUSE, MuchMusic or the International MTVs are any better?

nirrti_1
Raven
Raven

06 Jul 2005, 1:33 am

Now come on. You didn't expect a channel who's targets are NT teenagers who'd just die if they didn't look like pop star clones to be classy, didn't you? :lol:

Just as Disney is targeting the "tweens", MTV is only catering to their demographic audience and not considering the first of us who grew up watching it. It's no longer about the music, shoot, the music industry isn't about the music. It's about marketing someone's image so they will make the record companies money, thereby bring in ratings from these kids who want the bling bling, money and mansions these performers have.

If you ask me, MTV is fake because everything about show business is fake.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jul 2005, 9:44 am

Only overnight when they play music. If Tom Green or Andy Dick are on, I'll watch that as well.

We get VH1 Classic and MTV Hits, I watch those whenever I have the TV on.

MTV-2 is completely screwed up now. I'll only watch it when they play plain music videos overnight.

VH1 only overnight when music is played.

FUSE occationally. The network was better when it was a full simmulcast of MuchMusic Canada before they started that MMUSA crap.

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2005, 1:34 am

We'll say it right now then...

POP MUSIC.... IS....

DEAD!! !!

at least in a coma.

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2005, 1:44 am

Music videos don't always tell the story about the song, in many ways it can completely off to what the song is really about. Songs have to be heard not seen.

But then many channels are chasing the youth dem. anyways. So why ruin a genre of a TV cable channel in the first place? I know MTV was a pop-culture channel for the youth then, when I was a tween and teen, and even tomorrow's kids. But that should be no reason corporates should destroy the popular music.

But then they were saying this when Elvis was around, when the Beatles were around, and many more before MTV hit the airwaves in '81. So the older folks shouldn't be complaining too much in that respect

But focusing on the music qualities is what should be done (This is what is looking to be degraded more than the early days). Show the art of music. The language of music, then focus on the artist and the artist's work.

Music is the language of the world folks, it is the water of social interaction and interest. The media shouldn't crap on it and manipulate it.