Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Otherside
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2013, 10:50 am

bjtao wrote:
I sincerely prefer the term 'brain illness' to 'mental illness' and I throw it out whenever possible. I hope it will catch on. I know I am not the inventor of the term (no idea who, if anyone is) but I really want to spread it.

Sounds a lot better than mental illness. Technically speaking, if brain illness/mental illness is caused by chemical inbalances...then the illness simply is not in our minds.

Otherside
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2013, 10:57 am

glow wrote:
If it sounds that bad, I probably don't want it. Of course, everybody's thinking is different, but I was watching a programme a few night s ago, which spoke about mental illness and our nhs in England, and it just seemed that still, no one is listening. In one part of the programme I was seeing a young woman no more than 19, just curled up in a ball depressed and her 'carer;' was overseeing her before he left to go home, at least that's what it sounded like. For starters he was a foreign national and somebody else was just left alone to calm out their mood swings in a corridor. Is that British justice? I don't think so.

What programme is that? I'm interested in seeing that.

And yes, the general feeling I have gotten from dealing with the NHS community mental health team is that they quite frankly, don't give a s**t, and don't listen. It takes a lot before they even give you an assessment, I have been in hospital twice, almost sectioned, and overdosed to many time to count now before the mental health team decided I had a mental illness. A report from the child team (CAMHS) was lied on, due to the fact that I was too close becoming an adult, they could not be bothered to admit and start transitioning me over to CMHT, despite the fact that I'd turned up on the day on which I was informed I was to be discharged, on an appointment that was made on an emergency basis because I'd OD'ed on beta-blockers.

And then I watch the news and it's bloody research about how therapy over the phone is cost efficient and more beneficial to repeated CMHT appointments. SO pisses me off. Or people going on about how great it is and how the primary mental health care and short term mental health care is great...

The more f*****g serious your issue, and the longer you spend with the mental health team, the less help they're going to bother to get you.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 2:30 pm

Otherside wrote:
glow wrote:
If it sounds that bad, I probably don't want it. Of course, everybody's thinking is different, but I was watching a programme a few night s ago, which spoke about mental illness and our nhs in England, and it just seemed that still, no one is listening. In one part of the programme I was seeing a young woman no more than 19, just curled up in a ball depressed and her 'carer;' was overseeing her before he left to go home, at least that's what it sounded like. For starters he was a foreign national and somebody else was just left alone to calm out their mood swings in a corridor. Is that British justice? I don't think so.

What programme is that? I'm interested in seeing that.

And yes, the general feeling I have gotten from dealing with the NHS community mental health team is that they quite frankly, don't give a sh**, and don't listen. It takes a lot before they even give you an assessment, I have been in hospital twice, almost sectioned, and overdosed to many time to count now before the mental health team decided I had a mental illness. A report from the child team (CAMHS) was lied on, due to the fact that I was too close becoming an adult, they could not be bothered to admit and start transitioning me over to CMHT, despite the fact that I'd turned up on the day on which I was informed I was to be discharged, on an appointment that was made on an emergency basis because I'd OD'ed on beta-blockers.

And then I watch the news and it's bloody research about how therapy over the phone is cost efficient and more beneficial to repeated CMHT appointments. SO pisses me off. Or people going on about how great it is and how the primary mental health care and short term mental health care is great...

Sure its this-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01b86w5