Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Tally
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jan 2005, 5:04 pm

I have a new manager at work.

He is rude and unpleasant. On his first day, he introduced loads of new rules which make it harder to get all of our work done, like that we cannot talk to each other, even if it's about something that is essential to getting the work done properly.

Everyone hates him. You can't make everyone like you, but when everyone hates you, you know there's something wrong.

Our supervisor (he is her boss too) told us that we should just do exactly what he says, because then he will see that it does not work. I understand that idea, but I wish it didn't have to be so miserable in the meantime.

I used to like my job. Not the actual work itself, but the people I work with. We get on well, we make a good team, and we work well together. But we are not allowed to work together any more, so everything I ever liked about the job has been taken away. Now I hate going to work.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2005, 5:03 pm

I sympathise Tally. The workplace is stressful enough as it is without damaging or removing the things that make it bearable. Hopefully your new manager will get his comeuppance sooner rather than later - I can't stand petty dictators - I have walked out of jobs before rather than be treated like that. :evil:

Dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Mel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2005, 7:26 am

If you like your job normally Tally I would try hang on in there for a few weeks and hope that things get back to normal. I know its hard to have to go into an environment that makes you uncomfortable, but it would be a shame to lose the interaction you enjoy with your work mates.
I hope things get back to normal for you soon- hopefully he's just trying to assert his new 'power' over you all and won't be such a dictator soon.

Mel

Tekneek
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2005, 8:32 am

Unfortunately, I think we all get to deal with that from time to time. When we got a new manager of our team several months ago, the first thing they did was issue a big memo about attendance requirements. It rubbed everybody the wrong way. We were also told how things were going to change a lot, and there was going to be a lot of new stuff...

As time has gone on, we've just continued to do things the way we always have and there hasn't been any trouble...yet.

Tally
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2005, 2:28 pm

I'm trying not to let it get me down.

The things is, there are going to be big changes where I work, that aren't his fault. I don't like change either.

But this manager is not explaining the reasons for any of the changes. He doesn't even tell us there's a new rule, he just gets our supervisor to tell us off for breaking the rules that we do not know. He upset everyone today with a "fantastic new idea" that we start doing something that we have been doing for ages anyway.

I can't just walk out, because I have bills and a mortgage. There just aren't many other jobs around here. Hopefully he will just learn some manners instead.

Tekneek
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2005, 6:30 pm

I gather that you do not feel comfortable asking them about it. I know this sort of thing can be very irritating and stressful. Life is hard enough without people trying to throw in extra roadblocks just for the fun of it. Have you talked to your direct supervisor about it? If you have worked with them for a long time, you may be able to talk to them about what is going on and get some answers. When everything seemed upside down with my employer, I had managers who were willing to keep things as steady as they possibly could. It can be hard to do it, but sending an email or taking a few minutes to express your concerns can make all the difference.

Nicolai
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jul 2005, 11:13 am

I understand how you feel. I had a person that didn´t like me as direct manager. Luckily he left of his own.
Bosses come and go, so try to survive this one. :)