Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jun 2018, 10:25 pm

I have a 16 year old brother who is also on the spectrum. He likes science and hes quite smart and funny.

He just doesnt follow instructions ever. If my mom wants him to brush his teeth, he gets upset and she has to do it for him. I dont think he likes the bristle feeling. He also requires some assistance getting dressed because he has difficulties with buttons, belts and shoe laces. But he always refuses to ask for help and gets mad when you tell him he cant wear his shoes with the laces untied or he cant wear his pants without a belt.

Hes also very difficult at night. He wakes up and gets frustrated. He also requires assistance with putting pajamas on. He also wears "diapers" to bed and during the day. My parents call them briefs/boxers. He had difficulties with potty training. I did too.

Orion
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jun 2018, 3:54 pm

I recommend you get him velcro shoes and better fitting pants.

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jun 2018, 8:06 pm

Orion wrote:
I recommend you get him velcro shoes and better fitting pants.

Yeah. Velcro vans are a thing. I like them for him. He has sensory issues with tighter pants. We tried

Orion

14 Jun 2018, 12:03 pm

You might want to try sweatpants or something like that. I have this pair that is like exercise pants but loose and comfortable and has an elastic waist. Those things often have the drawstrings you can just pull tight instead of a belt. Best of luck.