Veteran

16 Nov 2018, 8:45 pm

It's Pride....at least sometimes.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2018, 10:06 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
One of the most staggering, jaw-dropping observations is when someone with obvious and profound disabilities, such as physical disabilities, plus head injury, plus PTSD from long military service, refuses to apply for medical benefits. I don't understand that at all.

Well, receiving gov't benefits has been highly stigmatized in the USA for a long time. If they accept them they'll become the losers/moochers that they've been taught to hate all their lives.

On another note, there's a good & interesting movie called "Leave No Trace." It's about a (fictional) veteran with unspecified problems living off the grid in the wilderness with his daughter. At a certain point in the movie he's given help, but it's more like "help" that's well meant, but wrong for him. From the social worker's view he was resisting treatment, but the real problem was that the treatment was wrong for him and she was never going to understand that.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 12:06 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
I actually wasn't limiting this discussion to autistic people though. Resistance to change can be true of people with any number of issues.

One of the most staggering, jaw-dropping observations is when someone with obvious and profound disabilities, such as physical disabilities, plus head injury, plus PTSD from long military service, refuses to apply for medical benefits. I don't understand that at all.

Sometimes with only the best of intentions we (being people who wish to do good and help) actually make things worse. If someone has a few of those experiences, they are less likely to want to apply for or accept help.

Also, the process of applying and qualifying for help is incredibly intrusive, demeaning and can strip people of all self-respect. Also, "recertifications" of one type or another can be required. How many times does someone with, for example, Down Syndrome, need to have their life-long disability "proven." But Social Security requires this over and over and over again.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 3:32 pm

I remember being in the Navy, and trying to encourage other people living on base to apply for Food Stamps, and being sneered at and insulted for "cheating the system", which they were all too proud to do themselves.

Yet, when their pay would run out before the end of the month, they would always come to me to "borrow" a few essential items like milk, bread, eggs, cereal, et cetera...

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 11:08 pm

Not everyone has the same amount of dopamine or serotonin

So maybe, it is easier for some people to get clinically depressed, than for others

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 11:10 pm

Fnord wrote:
I remember being in the Navy, and trying to encourage other people living on base to apply for Food Stamps, and being sneered at and insulted for "cheating the system", which they were all too proud to do themselves.

Yet, when their pay would run out before the end of the month, they would always come to me to "borrow" a few essential items like milk, bread, eggs, cereal, et cetera...

It seems to me that sharing supplies is common military culture. All the houses and property start to fade together. Then again it has been years since I have lived in that.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia