Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2005, 6:13 pm

Tons of personal stress and drama have worn me out. I can barely focus on my work. My attitude is taking a nose dive. The problem is that I am currently consulting and I really can't afford to take a day off. Then again should I as my burnout is affecting my work?

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2005, 8:19 pm

I hope things go better for you, BitterGeek

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2005, 8:35 pm

I'm very tempted to blow off tomorrow afternoon. I feel like crap and my creative energy is nill. I can't even comprehend the Ruby on Rails book I purchased.

ZedSimon
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2005, 8:40 pm

Man...that's gotta suck. I've been that way for a little over a year now. Getting a little better but still I feel there's something blocking the end of the tunnel. Not sure what your situation is, but would taking one day off a week have any effect? Maybe spread that vacation out a little so you don't feel the financial crunch as much as you would if you took it all in one lump.

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2005, 9:00 pm

I just started this consulting business. My major client is a turnaround job. I feel the pressure every day to implement high return on investment projects so that he can stop bleeding money and get himself back into the black. Every day that goes by, he gets deeper into the hole. Over the weekend, I had a spat with a social circle of Aspies (there goes my IRL support). Not to mention that I've been out of work for many months.

The problem is despite the pressures, my work requires creative thinking and high energy. Two qualites I an now lacking.

ZedSimon
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2005, 10:56 pm

Is taking on a partner out of the question?

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 6:41 am

If I were you, I would have confidence in yourself, BitterGeek.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 10:13 am

BitterGeek wrote:
The problem is despite the pressures, my work requires creative thinking and high energy. Two qualites I an now lacking.

I'm many years your junior (I think) so I can only tell ya the obvious: Caffiene, Gatorade, Red Bull, etc etc for the high energy problem! :roll: That works for college at any rate. Also, not limiting myself to standard work hours. If I feel a sudden feeling of productivity at One in the morning I will haul out the books and start studying at One in the goddamn morning!! I know from experience that if I feel like I'm in the zone such that I can do work without it feeling like pulling teeth, then it simply won't do to waste that surge.

Creative thinking I know nothing about because I'm studying to be an engineer. :lol: But I hear lots of musicians like to use certain types of 'substances' to fuel their creative juices! :twisted:

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2005, 10:55 am

IT and engineering can be creative. Esp. when you need a clever cheap trick that will cut a client's IT budget by 50% with one keystroke.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 12:54 pm

i have to disagree about the fizzy drinks, i'm afraid.

bittergeek, you need to make sure your baseline needs are met - eat properly, sleep properly (i know this might be a problem), take exercise. sounds stupid, but i'm constantly surprised at how i don't see to all these things, and then wonder why i'm about to implode.

and good luck, pet. let us know how you're doing, okay?

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 2:27 pm

vetivert wrote:
i have to disagree about the fizzy drinks, i'm afraid.

Well, I don't exactly feel like I'm in tip-top shape when I put myself through a all-night caffeine/work binge, but it gets the job done.

Quote:
take exercise.

What is this 'exercise' you speak of? :P

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2005, 12:00 am

I took the afternoon off. Feeling better. Just have to watch out for myself.

ZedSimon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 1:07 am

There y'go - everything in moderation, including off time. Hope you can breathe again soon.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 10:27 am

Glad to hear it, BitterGeek. I hope you keep doing your good habits.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 10:28 am

that's great news, bittergeek. keep looking after yourself.

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 3:18 am

Super advice, vetivert! Yes, food and the amount of daylight dosage you get can really affect your mood. Exercise is also very important. Drinks like Coffee, soda, or other drinks that have a high sugar content can make you edgy and do more harm than good. Food like chips, pizza, donairs and fries can make you lethargic and lazy in high doses. It is best to moderate with a balanced diet. You'd be surprised at how many people suffer from depression due to bad diets.