Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 12:15 pm

I currently have a Motorola G8 but it's coming to the end of my 2-year contract and I've got a text message saying it's due for an upgrade. To be honest I don't really want an upgrade, because I don't think they're doing Motorolas after this one and I'm afraid all my files might not be compatible on whatever the new phone is.

I have everything on my phone that I'm afraid might not be able to be transferred on to the new phone, such as my playlists on Music Player (I use it because it's free) and all my bookmarks. I have most of my pictures and other files like that on my SD card but that can only store so much. If it was as simple as just putting everything from my current phone on to the new phone without any hassle then I would upgrade.

I'm not interested in Spotify, I like Music Player because it's free and doesn't require any internet, all you do is download a song from YouTube on the laptop using MP4 download or whatever it's called then send it over to your phone, and it doesn't cost a shilling.

My phone is starting to slow down though. The memory space is getting full even if I delete loads of files, and the (newly upgraded) wifi signal keeps slowing on my phone and I have to keep using 4G which then takes up my data.

I don't know much about all this. I just like simplicity.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 1:08 pm

I would say the most important thing is RAM, ie memory.
Yours has 4gb which is good. I just upgraded from a phone which has 1 GB of ram to one like yours. It was a big difference.

I don't think you need an upgrade to be honest. If you went into settings to see how much hard drive space you have left (sometimes also called memory,or storage space)
It does slow the phone down if you have little storage space left cos it is used by the RAM, and you need RAM for a fast phone.
You seem to be saying it's not possible for you to clear some space so you might just have to get a new phone if that's not possible. I keep everything online so a new phone wouldn't bother me ie Spotify which you don't like, YouTube playlists.

Do you record many videos? That's the usual suspect, if you happen to have photos and videos on the storage space of the phone, instead of the SD Card.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 4:15 pm

The thing that tempting me the most to getting an upgrade is the unpredictable wifi connection in my house. It seems to work well on the laptop, but on my phone it suddenly disconnects even though the icon at the top of the screen says it's fully connected with an excellent signal. I have it set where if I lose wifi it automatically goes on to the 4G internet but in this case it doesn't lose wifi enough to switch to the 4G connection but enough to lose a webpage or a YouTube video ot whatever, which can be so frustrating.

I don't actually understand much about my data plan, I just go along with it and it does me every month. I get attached to my phones and it's always hard to upgrade when I have so many precious files and other apps and things stored on it.

I do have quite a lot of videos but there's just so many, that I can't be bothered to take the time to watch each one and delete the ones I don't want. So I tend to share my favourite videos on Facebook so that they'll always be accessable (these are usually ones of my pets). It saves me from having to go and buy more SD cards.

Yes, I do try to do as many online things as I can free. I'm already paying for Audible even though I can't find most the audiobooks that I want.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 4:46 pm

I spose one option would be to buy a new SD card and move the videos from the phone storage to the SD card. Then the phone would be fast again.

The wifi issue is strange. My wifi in my house is bad at the moment. My laptop and phone behave in the same way though.

If you did manage to get the motivation to get the videos off the phone a factory reset might have to be done.
A factory reset in case you didnt know means that literally everything would be gone off the storage and it would be as when you bought it. Hopefully it wouldnt come to that though.