Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Barefoot_Boy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jul 2022, 8:50 pm

If you like roleplay, this might be of interest to you. From a technique of roleplay I formerly used on another website, I am wanting to try it again, with you. The goal is for us to escape the real world for a few minutes each day and submerge ourselves into a fictional world. I will be taking a story I have created and opening it up for you to become characters that help guide it along its way. Each day that I post (may be daily, or at most weekly, depending on how things go), I will write at least one paragraph (probably more) of the story. You will then post your responses of your thoughts/feelings and how you would react. Your responses will then guide the next segment I write.

This roleplay story I have created is intended for those of you who enjoy horror fiction. I loved reading those old horror comics from ages past. I wondered why since the content could be so gruesome. I found the answer from a documentary on these comics. Horror comics offer us an escape into a terrifying world, but at the same time, we know we will be safe -- because it is just a fictional comic.

Anyway, I need to see if any of you are interested in taking residence in my horror comic. All I need before accepting your reservation is your age and gender. Reservation? Oh yes, a reservation for accommodations here:

Do I have any takers?

John Greenleaf Whittier

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 9:08 pm

Interested.

Rules? Character generation? Place and time?

Thank you.

Barefoot_Boy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jul 2022, 9:26 pm

Rules?
Once there are several roleplayers, I will post a segment. Then, those who wish to play will post their responses. These responses will guide the progression of the story.

Character generation?
Each person willing to participate in this roleplay will have been found guilty of treason in a semi-barbaric kingdom. Though each character's intentions were to better the kingdom by trying to uncover wrongdoings of the kingdom hierarchy, each character was apprehended and placed in the kingdom's dreaded correctional facility pictured in the OP.

Place and time?
The place is a prison in a fictional semi-barbaric kingdom located high in the mountains of a fictional country in an old world type European setting. The time, the present. However, the kingdom adheres to many old world ways.

The scenario of the story will be similar feeling to some of the awful predicaments characters found themselves in within the pages of the old horror comics of the precode era (up to the mid 1950s). This roleplay may not be for everyone. I really am trying to make it feel like some of the horror comics I have read from that golden age.

I will also try to alert each player through private message that a new segment has been posted.

John Greenleaf Whittier

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 10:37 pm

I’ll have a go. I’m not super familiar with comics, but I’m a fan of horror and decent at following leads. I’ll just say it’ll be hard to put me off much with anything :wink:

One 23-year-old female, um… making reservations at this fine establishment.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 7:59 am

Upon further thought, I withdraw my interest.

Isolating unarmed characters in an inescapable location and then mercilessly slaughtering them in the most gruesome manners possible is not my idea of a fun game.

Good luck.

Barefoot_Boy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jul 2022, 9:50 am

To Fnord: I appreciate your honesty in a situation where you would not feel comfortable.

To dragonsanddemons: I see you have a Lovecraft quote on your profile. Some of my stories could be identified with the genre of horror he was associated with -- cosmic horror. So far you are the only character besides myself (unless I remain an omniscient narrator type). I'll try to stir up some interest and see if the roleplay is a go. Thank you for replying and hope to get this started soon. Your username definitely sounds like you would be perfect for this.

John Greenleaf Whittier

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 10:48 am

Sounds like good fun, I'd like to join.
I played D&D ,Deadlands, Call of Cthulhu and Shadowrun in the past.

Would you like us to create a character with a personality and role-play or just be ourselves?

Is the creative/acting/role-play side part of what you are trying to achieve or is it that you are more looking forward to putting us through the jail and its horrors :)

Barefoot_Boy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jul 2022, 1:52 pm

Hi Klanka: In the past (from another site I used to belong to), most people who participated in this kind of roleplay was being themselves. However -- being that these types of storylines are in the horror genre (cosmic and gothic horror), the participants generally displayed a darker side of their personality -- one that they would never act upon in real life. The way we played these roleplays was to escape into this "comic book" world and see how we would react as ourselves. However, you are free to create a character of your own imagination.

Your second question in your response was: Is the creative/acting/role-play side part of what you are trying to achieve or is it that you are more looking forward to putting us through the jail and its horrors?

Although I have story/scenarios outlined, there is always room for little detours in the story. I greatly enjoy the creativity people put into these horror comic type stories. But I also find it fascinating to see how people respond when faced with horrific situations (fictional of course). So both things will be at work here. But participants have plenty of room for the creativity of roleplay throughout the story.

I believe my driving force here is to see all of the differing ways people react to the horrors of things that remain hidden from them (at least for the time being). This is how Lovecraft put it:

[b][b]The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.[/b][/b]

I believe that is what participants will find at work in this roleplay. Yes, there is a terror awaiting you, but what it is, you don't exactly know. However, these hidden elements do reveal themselves in time as the story progresses.

I don't know if I answered your questions to your satisfaction or not. If not, please don't hesitate to ask.

At this point we have two people interested besides myself.

John Greenleaf Whittier