Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2023, 11:08 am

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

PeterHoping44
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2023, 9:26 pm

Aye. This has been a problem for years.

Annoying reboots. Prequels. Reimaginings. Remakes. Spin offs. As long as money is involved, quality doesn't matter.

It's just a slog. Ed Wood would be proud.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2023, 11:54 pm

Entertaining.  Original.  Profitable.  Choose any two.

Guess which combination is the easiest, therefore the most preferred?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2023, 2:49 am

This also applies to TV shows as well

While it is tempting to use SpongeBob SquarePants as an example that is too cliche so I will instead mention other shows that I feel have fallen into this trap

Every network on TV (not just Nickelodeon or other kids' channels) has an issue with over-reliance on tried & true franchises vs. creating and cultivating new IPs

Nick of course has been relying on SpongeBob for over 20 years
ABC has been relying on Grey's Anatomy
NBC has been relying on Law & Order: Special Victims' Unit (and Dick Wolf in general)
Cartoon Network believe it or not hasn't had this problem, although Teen Titans GO could end up like poor SpongeBob SquarePants if they aren't careful!
FOX has Simpsons and Family Guy
TLC has Little People Big World and Say Yes to the Dress
CBS has CSI series and Survivor

Etc

This problem has been happening for a LONG time and the only way to reverse it is to stop supporting the big long-running franchises and start supporting the new IPs

STOP supporting Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Law & Order, SpongeBob SquarePants, Grey's Anatomy, etc!! !

This will send a message to the networks and movie studios that people no longer want franchise juggernauts

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 4:05 pm

Hollywood will always IMO continue to scrape the bottom of the barrel for new original ideas.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2023, 5:56 am

still no MASK (Mobile armed strike kommand) , Bravestarr , Defenders of Earth films

PeterHoping44
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2023, 10:38 am

I wonder why Box Office Mojo says a film flopped if it didn't make a certain amount.

Hm. They mean it didn't exceed the movie's budget of 50 million. What do they expect? :lol:

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2023, 12:12 pm

A lot of this would be resolved by not blowing the wad on "sure thing" bets. There's been a marked reduction in terms of the medium budgeted movies. You have a lot of low budget ones and a lot of high budget ones, but not so many of the medium budget movies that the big budget directors used to use to develop their craft.

Indiana Jones 5 cost upwards of $300m to produce. For that money they could have made 5-10 mid budget movies and diversified the risk. They could have targeted a smaller audience and needed fewer people to come watch to break even. And by requiring a smaller audience, they could have made it something that was more engaging.

Raiders of the Lost Ark cost roughly $64m when adjusted for inflation, but took in enough to fund a dozen other movies.