Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 9:06 am

Yes, there are cases of Amish children with autism, cancer and diabetes | Fact check

Quote:
The claim: A new study found zero cases of autism, cancer or diabetes in Amish children
A July 10 Instagram post (direct link, archive link) includes a screenshot of a headline that claims an array of diagnoses are not present in a certain religious population.

“New Study Finds Zero Amish Children Diagnosed with Cancer, Diabetes or Autism,” reads the headline.

The post was liked more than 16,000 times in one day. Other versions of the claim were shared thousands of additional times.

Our rating: False
The Amish Heritage Foundation told USA TODAY there are cases of Amish children with each of the listed conditions. A researcher who focuses on the Amish community highlighted news articles and studies showing Amish children are not exempt from cancer, autism or diabetes.

Amish Heritage Foundation says false claims prevent people from getting necessary care
The full article describes a “new comprehensive study” presented by entrepreneur and misinformation purveyor Steve Kirsch to the Pennsylvania State Senate. It claims the study said “that for Amish children, who are strictly 100 percent unvaccinated, typical chronic conditions barely exist, if any at all.”

In reality, the article was referring to Kirsch’s statement to the Medical Freedom Panel hosted by Pennsylvania Republican Sen. Doug Mastriano on June 9. He did not present any “comprehensive study,” but rather provided anecdotal evidence of lower rates of COVID-19 in the Amish community and claimed unvaccinated children are generally healthier than vaccinated children.

He made no claim of a study finding zero cases of the conditions among the Amish.

Studies from 2009 and 2010 also identify Amish children on the autism spectrum.

Torah Bontrager, founder of the Amish Heritage Foundation, said there is “absolutely no validity” to claims that Amish children do not have such conditions. Bontrager, who was born and raised in an Amish family but left the religion as a teenager, said she personally knows Amish children with each of the listed conditions.

She described contrary claims as “anti-Amish tropes.”

“It marginalizes us Amish people and contributes further harm toward Amish children who need medical care and attention,” she said. “Those issues are not actually attended to because the general public believes what this supposed researcher is saying and we just fall through the cracks.”

She said cultural and educational barriers can make it difficult to conduct legitimate studies of the Amish population, and any claims made about the Amish community should be closely scrutinized.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 10:55 am

I mean well duh. There will be Autism in literally EVERY human population.

That being said, I really hate seeing Autism being mentioned in the same article as Cancer and Diabetes.

#palestinianlivesmatter

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 2:37 pm

The Amish i believe were used by the anti-vax people as proof of autism`s origins.

I believe they shun vaccines and other medical procedures although i may be wrong on this.

- George Bernie Shaw

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 2:54 pm

carlos55 wrote:
The Amish i believe were used by the anti-vax people as proof of autism`s origins.

I believe they shun vaccines and other medical procedures although i may be wrong on this.

From what I understand, the Amish are a lot more complicated when it comes to technology than is often portrayed. They do have a great deal of skepticism towards new technology, but they do adopt it when it makes sense to them. It's just that they do put a great deal of attention into the impact that the technology will have on their lives and their community.

For example, there are actually computers for Amish people. They are stripped of quite a few features and tend to have things like scripture apps loaded onto them along with the work apps they're primarily for. And a lot of the restrictions come from things in the home and don't apply when working for non-Amish employers in the course of work.

https://amishamerica.com/technology/

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 3:48 pm

There was a thread on Twitter where it was suggested that autistic people tend to be better accommodated in rural settings. Less noise and chaos generally. So since autism is typically only diagnosed when it causes distress, there's going to be fewer diagnoses in more rural communities.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Pagliaccio
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2023, 4:22 am

I knew a young Amish woman when living in Illinois. You would never have known by looking at her, she was just one of the team.

I learned from her there is a wide range of attitudes in the community; it's not a homogenous group of anachronistic oddballs at all. She would quite happily engage with technology, her parents owned a car and so on. However, they kept things like telephones and computers to a minimum, using them only when necessary.

In hindsight, I can easily see how being autistic in the Amish community would be easy and comfortable. You might never know.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 8:49 pm

colliegrace wrote:
There was a thread on Twitter where it was suggested that autistic people tend to be better accommodated in rural settings. Less noise and chaos generally. So since autism is typically only diagnosed when it causes distress, there's going to be fewer diagnoses in more rural communities.

I lived in a rural community. My own home was okay, but I was bullied to the point of becoming suicidal at school. The teachers weren't really educated on autism or special needs in general unless it was something like a physical special need such as cerebral palsy or epilepsy. Even the teachers sometimes joined in on the bullying or sometimes encouraged it. For stuff like stimming.

I was also bullied at church when the parents and pastors weren't around. The same kids who bullied me at church were usually the same ones who bullied me at school. I really probably should have gone to a private school but there were none in the area that took kids older than 6th grade. We were THAT rural. So my parents homeschooled me. I think if I hadn't been homeschooled, I probably would have committed suicide by seventh grade.

Maybe its different for other people, but being so rural made things worse for me. When I was in public school in the early 1990's, if the parents gave permission, the principal could hit kids with a paddle. I knew several 2nd grade teachers at that school who tied neurodiverse kids to their desks.

I had a teacher who was rumored to do so but my therapist came to my school and told her if she tried that with me that he would sue her himself. A friend of mine said his teacher DID tie him to his desk. He had VERY old fashioned grandparents (they had custody) who even though he was clearly autistic, REFUSED to have him evaluated because they didn't want him "labeled". They were perfectly fine with the teacher tying him to the desk and even hit him with a belt themselves.

I found rural people in general to be meaner. I lived in the suburbs of Cincinnati, Ohio for 3 years and those people were much nicer than the ones I interacted with in the "boonies". I don't think I would have been a good Amish child either. Too strict and my sensory integration disorder would have prevented me from wearing Amish girl clothes. Probably Amish boy clothes too if I had been born a boy. Amish children are expected to be seen and not heard. I was LOUD and had an opinion as soon as I learned how to talk...and ANYONE in my vicinity had to know it. This would not be acceptable for an Amish child, especially an Amish girl.

Never was a fan of the Amish in general because of how they see animals as just things to make them money. Most Amish work their horses to death, do not seek out veterinary care for them. I've heard sometimes the Amish will have a veterinarian come out and look at a sick or hurt horse, but that's not the norm. A lot of puppy mills are run by Amish. But no, I would not be a good Amish child.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2023, 10:37 am

carlos55 wrote:

Yeah. Anti-axxers lie. That's kind of their thing.