Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2023, 8:12 am

News4Jax

Quote:
A former school teacher’s aide won’t be charged after she sat on a child with autism.

The child’s mother shared a video from April 25 at Summers Elementary School in Columbia County. The schools camera captured a woman ripping a toy away from a 5-year-old. He throws mulch in her direction, then she comes back and sits on him for about 10 seconds.

News4JAX obtained the decline letter from the State Attorney’s Office Third Judicial Circuit explaining why they won’t press charges.

They say “it is the opinion of the undersigned that the contact that occurred in this case, while inappropriate especially for a child with special needs, does not meet the legal definition of any of the crimes described above and therefore none of the above charges can ethically be levied by the Office of the State Attorney.”

“If you believe it’s inappropriate, why are you not prosecuting? However, as they finish the sentence, the point is…is there a reasonable probability of conviction?” said attorney Gene Nichols.

Nichols said he respects the State Attorney’s decision, but he would’ve prosecuted this woman for battery.

The State Attorney found the employee was responsible for supervising children – which allowed her to make physical contact if it didn’t rise to the level of child abuse.

“I disagree,” said Nichols. “If a parent had done the same thing to this child, would the parent have committed a crime? And if we answer that question with a no, then the state attorney’s office probably made the right decision. If we answer that question with Yes, then the state attorney’s office probably should have prosecuted for battery.”

Nichols says he feels a jury would find this woman went too far. The child’s mother doesn’t have many options. She can file a civil lawsuit, but public schools have immunities, and her child wasn’t physically injured.

The mother says the employee was fired from the school. She hopes this woman never works around kids again.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2023, 8:57 am

Misdemeanor battery would have been the right call, and that likely would have allowed for whatever license she has to be yanked as well. Without a court case, I'm not sure what mechanism is in place to prevent this from happening again. It doesn't sound like there's much controversy about what actually happened, so that seems really odd. It's just a bit of good fortune that there was no physical injury. That being said, 5 is the point where kids are really starting to form memories and this may not be forgotten and could result in issues as time goes by.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2023, 7:59 am

The court made the wrong decision and that poor example of an aide should be charged. That child is going to develop trust issues as the years go by.