Are there ways to improve communication difficulties?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2023, 1:29 pm

Sometimes I can't communicate what I mean to say so I don't. It's a feeling of just not knowing how to even say what I'm thinking. Sometimes I don't respond appropriately to people. I mumble a lot and people think I'm being disrespectful. It's difficult for me to talk clearly sometimes. I laugh when I probably shouldn't. It's a nervous reaction and I try to control it. The worst is when I'm talking and I can't form a word properly so it comes out as gibberish and people sometimes think Im doing it to annoy them. It's actually frustrating because I want to be taken seriously.

Sometimes I talk to myself and I don't even mean to. I'll just say random words or sentences. I'll also have full conversations and it's really difficult to hide. I try to hide it. Lately it's been happening in public and around my family. People avoid me in public or stare. My family thinks I'm talking on the phone or to them passive aggressively sometimes. I just explain I'm talking to myself and that gets them to ask even more questions. I don't really know why I do it. I kind of want to stop because of the reactions but it honestly feels like something I have to do sometimes.

I'm always fidgeting when I'm talking and it distracts people. I try not to but lately I write words without even realizing on my skin with my fingers. Then I'm scared people know what I'm writing. Then the interaction feels awkward and I can't ask but I want to know and I start to feel very uncomfortable. Sometimes I go days without much social interaction because I just don't ever feel comfortable with it. I don't make eye contact very easily yet people ask me to, and it makes me feel stressed out because I used to be ok with making eye contact but since I started feeling more paranoid it's extremely difficult.

Also I say words in the wrong order and have to correct myself a lot, reading out loud is more difficult now especially for other people, and it's really difficult for me to explain how I feel and it comes out wrong which just doesn't help at all and I dig myself into a hole. Ive started accepting it more and just being ok with it honestly. It's just going to make it hard for job interviews or social interactions at a job. I don't think I could handle a job because of these struggles. I feel weird that it's just so hard for me to express myself when I know exactly what I feel.

Also people get annoyed because I go on tangents and they don't understand what I'm even talking about, meanwhile I think it's related to what they're saying and they tell me it isn't related. That's so frustrating. I honestly feel like I should read more about this stuff and work on improving it.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2023, 2:55 pm

Have you been diagnosed with Schizophrenia or anything like that? Incoherent speech & paranoia can be features of Schizophrenia.

In any case, you should take medication to keep that at bay, if you do have that, as it is quite serious and can impact social interaction in various ways, some of which you have described in your eloquently written paragraphs.

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Sep 2023, 1:21 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
Have you been diagnosed with Schizophrenia or anything like that? Incoherent speech & paranoia can be features of Schizophrenia.

In any case, you should take medication to keep that at bay, if you do have that, as it is quite serious and can impact social interaction in various ways, some of which you have described in your eloquently written paragraphs.

Yeah. I'm on medication.

Sailon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2023, 6:02 pm

One time someone had told me I would get better by practicing more, hasn't worked for me yet though.