Hate it when I see that someone has ''unfriended'' me

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2023, 7:14 pm

It was Oprah Winfrey who said: "Lots of people want to ride in the limo. What you need is someone who will ride with you on the bus when the limo breaks down."

Everyone seems to have a huge list of contacts on their mobile phones but how many of those people are people they can turn to in their hour of need? Two or three or maybe a handful at the most.

I think it would be a mistake to confuse popularity on social media with genuine friendship. I've never had a Facebook or Twitter account and people very rarely respond to my posts on forums like they remember anything I've previously written. I'm ok with that. I have a couple of close friends in real life and that's enough for me.

The good thing about having Aspergers and not being liked by most people is that it makes it a lot easier to tell who your real friends are.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2023, 7:26 pm

EnglishInvader wrote:
It was Oprah Winfrey who said: "Lots of people want to ride in the limo. What you need is someone who will ride with you on the bus when the limo breaks down."

Everyone seems to have a huge list of contacts on their mobile phones but how many of those people are people they can turn to in their hour of need? Two or three or maybe a handful at the most.

I think it would be a mistake to confuse popularity on social media with genuine friendship. I've never had a Facebook or Twitter account and people very rarely respond to my posts on forums like they remember anything I've previously written. I'm ok with that. I have a couple of close friends in real life and that's enough for me.

The good thing about having Aspergers and not being liked by most people is that it makes it a lot easier to tell who your real friends are.

You are definitely better off for not having been exposed to Twitter & Facebook. They are both brain numbingly boring and stupid.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 4:54 am

EnglishInvader wrote:

I assume that most people use 'friend' as a sort of umbrella term for a broad range of platonic relationships. So they may have a phone full of 'friends' but they don't find it confusing to manage all those people and understand what they can and can't expect from them individually.

It's possible that those of us with neurodivergences are just a bit more rigid in our definitions of what a friend is. Someone either is or isn't and we have quite high expectations of what a friend should be. I think I do, anyway.