Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2023, 11:06 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
I didn't end up having a wild party for my 40th, rather, I stayed at a hotel and had two friends come over. We went to dinner, had snacks, and watched our baseball home team in the playoffs get into the World Series.

On my birthday, I went to our local aquarium which gives birthday people free passes. I also met up with some more friends and had dinner at an Italian restaurant instead.

As for wild parties that year, I went to the big city celebrations because our home team had just won the World Series. I grew up with two of them and so that was a big birthday present.

My 40th was during covid, which was a convenient excuse as to why I didn't want to have a crazy party.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2023, 12:42 pm

Here, you can live vicariously through this music video.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2023, 5:08 pm

Nope...and NEVER will. Getting drunk isn't my idea of fun. Being around drunk people isn't my idea of fun. My dad had undiagnosed PTSD and would self medicate by drinking. When he was drunk he could get violent and physically abusive. Drunk people scare me for that reason. Anywhere alcohol is served, I avoid like the plague.

I don't like being around people who are loud. People seem to yell when they're at sporting events or carnival rides for no real reason. As a result, I avoid those places too.

So no. I've never had a "wild" birthday party and never will.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2023, 12:15 am

MagicMeerkat wrote:
Nope...and NEVER will. Getting drunk isn't my idea of fun. Being around drunk people isn't my idea of fun.

Same here.

My idea of fun is intelligent conversation, of kinds that drunk people are unable to have.

alwaysRootingForTheAI
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Sep 2023, 6:15 pm

I used to feel this way, too!

I always felt like there must have been something that I was missing, so I went to a few parties (and hosted a few of my own). However, I've found a couple different things.

(1) When the group size gets above ~5, I stop having fun. The atmosphere switches from intimate and stimulating to casual and boring or stressful. So I just don't schedule or attend large parties anymore. It's just not my cup of tea. And that's Okay :)

(2) Substances will usually cause me a great deal of anxiety. I don't think I'm capable of getting anywhere near blackout drunk without having a panic attack. The times where I have used substances and actually enjoyed them, it's been in an environment with a small number of people I'm very comfortable with who are willing to give me the comfort and reassurance I need. So they can be fun, but only with a VERY specific crowd. And that's Okay too :)

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2023, 10:28 am

At my last birthday, my very old friend, whom I was still in somewhat tenuous touch with, called me to say happy birthday, even though he lives here in town, and my sister who lives far away called me. My new friend, whom I had only known a few months, came by my house and gave me a card, which was very nice.

I would have loved to have had a small get together with three or four friends, either at home or at a restaurant, chatting and laughing together, but I have no such friends. I ate dinner alone. I don't like it when my birthday comes around.

Twiglet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Sep 2023, 12:10 pm

The last time I had a birthday party was when I was aged maybe 3 or 4? Too young for me to remember it anyway.

I spent my 18th at home with just my Mum. Didn't even occur to me to invite anyone at the time. The thought of spending my birthday with other people would have totally ruined my day.

Can't remember my 21st. I probably spent it at home with my Mum. I do remember feeling like I was missing out on something important.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2023, 1:05 pm

I still enjoy celebrating birthdays alone but they never involve getting wild. Do I drink? Yes but I usually have one drink at favorite revolving restaurant in town. I also go for an appetizer and desert. I don't the company of the staff and other costumers who also happen to enjoy their meal.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2023, 2:26 pm

I feel as though the older I get, the idea of a wild birthday becomes increasingly unappealing.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2023, 3:12 pm

One year 10 of us went to Spirited Away on the Big Screen and then we went out to eat. However we didn't drink that time.

Another time we went to a supper club at a local regional airport and had lunch and then hung out in front of a fire pit and watched planes take off. I did get one drink though.