Traditional anti-Jewish tropes and debunkings thereof

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2024, 3:22 am

Lately I've posted quite a few threads denouncing Israel, its behavior in the war in Gaza, and its treatment of Palestinians more generally.

But I certainly do NOT want to see American Christian Zionism get replaced by a return to traditional hatred of Jews. I want a world in which Jews, Palestinian Arabs, and everyone else can be safe and have their basic human rights respected.

Alas there seems to have been a recent wave of violent hatred against Jews. So I've decided to devote a thread to opposing traditional anti-Jewish bigotry.

I've already posted quite a bit about modern variants of the traditional anti-Jewish blood libel, in the following two threads:

- QAnon, Blood Libel, and the Satanic Panic
- Secret Tunnel Under New York Synagogue Sparks Chaotic Scenes

In subsequent posts in this thread, I will post about various other anti-Jewish tropes and debunkings thereof. I will also dig up some resources for debunking Holocaust denial.

I invite others to post useful links for debunking anti-Jewish tropes too.

Please do NOT use this thread to discuss Israel/Palestine. This thread is for debunkings of traditional anti-Jewish tropes, most of which long pre-date the modern state of Israel.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2024, 10:23 am

Much of today's all-too-popular grand conspiracy ideology is based on The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, first published in Russia in the early 1900's. According to the Holocaust Encyclopedia, on the website of the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum:

Quote:
The Protocols of the Elders of Zion is the most notorious and widely distributed antisemitic publication of modern times. Its lies about Jews, which have been repeatedly discredited, continue to circulate today, especially on the internet.

[...]

Those who distribute it claim that it documents a Jewish conspiracy to dominate the world. The conspiracy and its alleged leaders, the so-called Elders of Zion, never existed.

[...]

In 1903, portions of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion were serialized in a Russian newspaper, Znamya (The Banner). The version of the Protocols that has endured and has been translated into dozens of languages, however, was first published in Russia in 1905 as an appendix to The Great in the Small: The Coming of the Anti-Christ and the Rule of Satan on Earth, by Russian writer and mystic Sergei Nilus.

[...]

Although the exact origin of the Protocols is unknown, its intent was to portray Jews as conspirators against the state. In 24 chapters, or protocols, allegedly minutes from meetings of Jewish leaders, the Protocols "describes" the "secret plans" of Jews to rule the world by manipulating the economy, controlling the media, and fostering religious conflict.

[...]

Beginning in 1920, auto magnate Henry Ford's newspaper, The Dearborn Independent, published a series of articles based in part on the Protocols. The International Jew, the book that included this series, was translated into at least 16 languages. Both Adolf Hitler and Joseph Goebbels, later head of the propaganda ministry, praised Ford and The International Jew.

Fraud exposed

In 1921, the London Times presented conclusive proof that the Protocols was a "clumsy plagiarism." The Times confirmed that the Protocols had been copied in large part from a French political satire that never mentioned Jews—Maurice Joly's Dialogue in Hell Between Machiavelli and Montesquieu (1864). Other investigations revealed that one chapter of a Prussian novel, Hermann Goedsche's Biarritz (1868), also "inspired" the Protocols.

Here is a copy of the relevant London Times article, dated August 17, 1921.

In various other parts of the above-quoted Holocaust Encyclopedia article, it is stated repeatedly that the purpose of the hoax was to to spread hatred of Jews. Actually, it seems to me that the main purpose was to harness already-existing hatred of Jews to discredit Russia's democratic and progressive movements, by portraying democratic and progressive movements as part of a plot by evil Jews to rule the world and weaken Russia.

More resources for debunking the Protocols of the Elders of Zion are listed on this page on the website of David Dickerson.

(Note that David Dickerson's page is on a website that no longer exists, so I've linked to a copy on the Internet Archive site, which takes forever to load. Also, the first two links on the list do not work, but most of the other links do work, albeit slowly.)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2024, 11:36 am

Pope Benedict: Jewish people not guilty for Jesus death
Romans are to blame for death of Jesus - Washington University in St. Louis

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2024, 7:33 pm

I'll now post links to some resources for debunking Holocaust denial.

The Holocaust is one of the best-documented war crimes in all of recorded history. The Nazis themselves documented it in detail, albeit with a thin veil of euphemisms. Many World War II historians have studied it in detail since then.

So there's no good reason to doubt that it happened. There were some anti-German war propaganda stories that turned out to be just war propaganda, but the mass murder of millions of Jews, Romani and Sinti, disabled people, gays, etc. isn't one of them. Nor is there any good reason to suspect that the numbers of people killed, in any of the above categories, have been over-estimated by any huge amount. They are more likely to be slightly under-estimated, if anything.

Nevertheless, Holocaust denial and "Holocaust revisionism" are alive and well these days. Holocaust deniers/"revisionists" usually (though not always) have an anti-Jewish agenda, often claiming or implying that the consensus about the Holocaust among mainstream historians isn't based on the evidence, but instead is due to control of the academic establishment by an evil cabal of Jews.

Arguments about the Holocaust often get very detailed and technical-sounding, e.g. claims by an alleged expert on gas chambers that there were no gas chambers at Auschwitz, or claims that the crematoria at Auschwitz could not have burned enough bodies per day. However, if you run into someone making an argument like this on TikTok, or wherever, chances are that the argument has already been made -- and debunked -- many times before. So, whatever argument they make, you can probably look it up on at least one of the sites I will mention below.

Probably the best site for looking up responses to Holocaust denial claims is the Holocaust Encyclopedia on the website of the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. There's a search bar at the top of the main page, in which you can enter keywords for any specific Holocaust denial claim. I just now looked up "debunking holocaust denial" for a general list of articles debunking the more common Holocaust denial claims.

Here is a general series of articles about Holocaust denial, and here is an article on how to identify reputable historical sources.

Another good site is the Nizkor Project, a very old website that has been around almost as long as the World Wide Web itself. According to the Wikipedia article about the Nizkor Project, it was founded by Ken McVay and is now maintained by B'nai Brith Canada.

The Nizkor Project website contains huge amounts of historical documentation of the Holocaust, organized by categories such as "Camps" (information about specific Nazi concentration camps) and "People" (information about a wide variety of specific people, including "Antisemites," "Holocaust deniers," "Holocaust perpetrators," and "Holocaust victims"). It also has a section on the Nuremberg trials and a collection of research guides.

If anyone knows of any other good resources for debunking Holocaust denial, please let me know.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 25 Jan 2024, 10:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2024, 8:46 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

If one goes by Christian theology, Christ died to save all humankind. As his death wasn't something meant to be prevented, it's idiocy to blame anyone for something that was divinely intended.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 12:18 am

Some background on older conspiracy theories that were among the inspirations for The Protocols of the Elders of Zion:

Simonini’s letter: the 19th century text that influenced antisemitic conspiracy theories about the Illuminati: "How a conspiracy theory about the origins of the French Revolution became steeped in antisemitism," by Claus Oberhauser, The Conversation, March 31, 2020:

Quote:
A French Catholic priest called Augustin Barruel is generally regarded as one of history’s most famous conspiracy theorists. His multi-volume 1797 book, Memoirs Illustrating the History of Jacobinism, about an alleged conspiracy that led to the outbreak of the French Revolution, has been reprinted many times and translated into several languages.

Not long after the publication of his work, Barruel was sent a letter by a man called Jean Baptiste Simonini, who alleged that the Jews were also part of the conspiracy. This letter – the original of which has never been found – continues to shape antisemitic conspiracy thinking to this day.

Even before the revolution, Barruel had become famous in France as a conservative writer and journalist. The trainee Jesuit priest strongly opposed the new philosophy of the time – the convictions of Diderot, d'Alembert or even Voltaire – which he regarded as radical.

In his book, Barruel’s conspiracy theory had three component parts. First, he assumed that radical philosophers in Voltaire’s circle had stirred up society. Second, he complained about the multitude of Freemasons in France. Third, he introduced the Illuminati.

The Illuminati was a real secret group, founded in the Bavarian city of Ingolstadt in 1776. Around the time of the Illuminati’s discovery in 1784, a conspiracy theory was stirred up by its staunch enemies accusing the group of wanting to overthrow all thrones and altars and to completely transform society. Even though the Illuminati was eventually disbanded before the outbreak of the French Revolution, many conspiracy theorists believed that its ideas, which were considered radical, had been carried to France by an important member.

For Barruel these three connected conspiracies ultimately led to the rise of the the Jacobins – the most influential political club during the French Revolution.

European conspiracy theories until this point had long presented Jews as evil and disruptive figures. However, Jews played no role in the conspiracy theory Barruel set out in his book. But then he was sent the letter from Simonini.

The Simonini letter

Barruel received a letter from the unknown Jean Baptiste Simonini from Florence on 20 August 1806, written on August 1.

Very little is known about Simonini, but he was not an invention or imagination of Barruel. He held the rank of captain in the Piedmontese army and from 1815 lived in Lilianes in the Aosta Valley.

In his letter, Simonini first congratulated Barruel on his book, but alleged that behind the Freemasons and Illuminati were the Jews. Simonini wrote that he realised this must seem like an exaggeration to Barruel, and so he tried to convince him of his theory by recounting his personal experience. In fact, in Piedmont, Simonini told Barruel, Jews had initiated him into their plans. It’s important to stress here that this is all a conspiracy theory.

Barruel was irritated because he hadn’t come across this connection himself. He tried to verify the authenticity of the letter by writing to various personalities, including important bishops. After being told that Simonini could be trusted, Barruel began to study the Jewish history of his conspiracy theory intensely.

In the Jesuit archives in Vanves, just outside Paris, for example, I’ve seen a copy of his book accompanied by notes written by him after 1806. At various points in these notes, Barruel wrote Simonini’s name over a passage about Jews and remarked that it was probably Jews who were pulling the strings.

But Barruel didn’t choose to regard Jews as the main conspirators. He sent Simonini’s letter to some of his Jesuit friends and wrote his opinion of the great conspiracy as a postscript underneath. A variant of such a letter was written shortly before his death in 1820. In it, Barruel made clear that he was now much more convinced that a Freemason conspiracy started the revolution, and that although many Jews were Freemasons, they alone were not to blame for the conspiracy. He wrote that he wanted to prevent a massacre against Jews.

Feeding into antisemitism

But it was too late – copies of Simonini’s letter were already circulating secretly within conservative elites at the beginning of the 19th century and causing damage. It was the letter’s first publication in 1878 in a conservative magazine called Le Contemporain that led it being quoted in various antisemitic conspiracy theory texts.

Today, Simonini’s letter is regarded as an influence in the publication of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, a fake transcript of a secret meeting of Jewish leaders plotting world domination. This widely read conspiracy theory was first published in Russian in 1903.

Even though Simonini’s letter and the publication of the Protocols were ultimately a century apart, the conspiracy theory formed in 1806 was the starting point of a renewed debate about the role of Jews in European society. The conspiracy theories that emerged as part of this debate in the 19th and 20th centuries led to modern antisemitism and all its disastrous consequences.

Questions of origin

Some researchers believe that Simonini’s letter could well be an invention from the 1870s – a time when antisemitism was rising in Europe and when it first appeared publicly in Le Contemporain.

Others assume that Barruel could have written the letter himself. Yet others believe that Simonini’s letter was fabricated by the French police and sent to Barruel owing to his prominence.

My own research has documented how various copies of the letter from the early 1800s have been discovered in Western and Eastern European archives in recent years. This means that the letter is certainly not a product of the 1870s. Nor is it conceivable, based on Barruel’s comments, that he invented it himself.

The problem is that the original copy of the Simonini letter has never been found. It’s believed to be somewhere in the Vatican Apostolic Archive – but so far this has not been verified.

For some background on what's known about the Illuminati in historical reality, as distinct from conspiracy theory, see The Enlightenment, Freemasonry, and The Illuminati by Conrad Goeringer, February 29, 2012, formerly on the American Atheists website (link via the Wayback Machine).

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 27 Jan 2024, 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 1:05 am

Here are some web resources about anti-Masonry and its overlap with anti-Jewish conspiracy claims.

First, some pages on Masonic websites:

- On the website of the Masonic Grand Lodge of British Columbia and Yukon, in Canada:
--- Anti-Masonic claims refuted - large collection of pages, including an Anti-Masonry FAQ, rebutting many anti-Masonic claims and other grand-conspiracy claims
--- History of the Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion
--- Milton William Cooper

- Anti-Masonry Frequently Asked Questions on Mastermason.com

- Anti-Masonry: Points of View by Edward L. King, including responses to many objections to Freemasonry (via the Wayback machine)

- Criticisms of Freemasonry & Where to Find Refutations of those Criticisms by Paul M. Bessel (via the Wayback machine)

Second, some pages by various other people:

- The Illuminati Freemason Conspiracy on PublicEye.org (Political Research Associates). Brief introductory article with bibliography. (link via Wayback machine)

- The Protocols of the Elders of Zion: Anti-Masonry and Anti-Semitism by Leon Zeldis

- The Myth of the Judaeo-Masonic Conspiracy by W. Bro. A Israel, Master, in a collection of pages about Masonry on the website of Gary L. Dryfoos at M.I.T. (via the Wayback Machine)

- Freemasons - from the 700 Club to Art Bell, an object of conspiracy thinking by Conrad Goeringer, May, 1998, on the American Atheists site.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 1:57 am

Closely related to Protocols-style grand-conspiracy claims is the idea that the world is secretly run by a cabal of Jewish bankers, e.g the Rothschilds (a European Jewish banking family, who in reality are far from being the world's wealthiest bankers).

Various right wing groups have advocated grand-conspiracy theories featuring "international bankers." Such theories don't necessarily target Jews. After all, the Rockefellers and the Morgans are not Jews.

Nevertheless, banker-conspiracy claims closely parallel and are often linked to Protocols-style Jewish-cabal claims, via the idea that the Rockefellers and the Morgans are somehow "owned" by the Rothschilds. And one of the most popular banker-conspiracy writings is Secrets of the Federal Reserve by Eustace Mullins, who also believed in the traditional anti-Jewish blood libel.

So, if one is going to debunk anti-Jewish claims, it helps to be familiar with "banker" claims too, and their fallacies.

Some common false claims, e.g. in popular conspiracy-theory videos such as Zeitgeist, are the following:

1) That the Federal Reserve System is nothing but a private banking cartel, "as Federal as Federal Express." In fact, it's a mixture of public and private, neither strictly a government agency nor strictly a private entity either, nor is it a for-profit entity. It has a Board of Governors who are appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate. But it consists of 12 regional Federal Reserve Banks, each of which has "member banks," which are private banks.

2) That the Fed's profits go into the pockets of member banks, at the expense of the U.S. Treasury. In fact, only a very small portion of the Fed's profits go to member banks. The member banks are required to keep some of their own money at the Federal Reserve Bank, and they earn a dividend on that money. But those dividends are only about 2 or 3 percent of the Fed's profits, most of which go into the U.S. Treasury. (See, for example, the Federal Reserve System's income and expense tables for 2005 and 2006.)

Some helpful web resources:

- Debunking the Federal Reserve Conspiracy Theories by Edward Flaherty (via the Wayback Machine)

- 9 myths about the Federal Reserve — debunked - Bankrate

- Debunking '#FedNow' and '#digitaldollar' conspiracies (video) - NBC News, Apr 13, 2023

- Common myths about the Federal Reserve - Pragmatic Capitalism

- Jewish "Control" of the Federal Reserve: A Classic Antisemitic Myth by the Anti-Defamation League (via the Wayback Machine)

My list above includes some general resources about the Fed, not just responses to anti-Jewish banking conspiracy claims, because the anti-Jewish claims are often accompanied by general misunderstandings about the banking system.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 10:57 am

I just now read a very interesting article that should have been titled "How anti-Jewish and anti-immigrant bigotry was one of the causes of the Great Depression," but instead has the more boring title of The Bank of United States, East European Jews and the Lost World of Immigrant Banking by Rebecca A. Kobrin, The Gothan Center for New York City History, December 21, 2021.

Problem was, the New York Federal Reserve Board refused to bail out a bank that happened to be owned by Jews and catered to immigrants. (Most other banks were owned by WASPs and tended to deem working-class immigrants as not being credit-worthy.)

Quote:
Its failure, as Milton Friedman has argued, ignited a banking crisis that led to the great “money hoard,” setting in motion the Great Depression, in which the gross national product fall thirty-one percent, and millions of Americans lose their jobs.

Anyhow, on a related subject, here's an article debunking a recent Federal Reserve conspiracy theory: AP Fact Check: FedNow won’t give agency power to seize bank accounts for political beliefs by Philip Marcelo, Associated Press, May 2, 2023. (The claim debunked here isn't specifically anti-Jewish, but likely to be combined with anti-Jewish conspiracy claims.)

Another article relevant to banking conspiracy theories in general: Conspiracy Theorists Ask ‘Who Owns the New York Fed?’ Here’s the Answer, by Richard Teitelbaum, Institutional Investor, February 24, 2020.