Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 7:14 am

What I find odd is that God is supposed to have created something extremly complicated and fined tuned as the Universe but had to rely on humans to write the Bible. A book that fails to present it's message in a clear and consisting way.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 1:26 am

DoniiMann wrote:
Funny. I just came across this video yesterday, separate from this post. I guess it wants to be watched.

What I find theologically interesting, from the perspective of Jesus' supposed divinity, is that when he was facing his crucifixion, he asked if it were possible that god would take that cup away from him, but not his (Jesus) will be done, but the will of his father be done.

If Jesus were god, there could be no deviation from the perfect plan, no desire to deviate, no divergence of will, etc. What Jesus said, was possible for a human. But god could not have said it.

My school scripture teacher got round such problems by saying that Jesus was both god and human, so it was the human part of him that had that moment of weakness during his crucifixion. I suppose if I asked how he could have been both, I'd have been reminded that light can be both a wave and a particle. Some religionists certainly have the gift of the gab, though none of them have convinced me yet. They haven't provided the extraordinary evidence necessary to justify their extraordinary claims. All they've done AFAIK is to raise plausible objections to many of the arguments that point to flaws in their scriptures, and to obfuscate clear discussion by coming out with woolly statements that are hard to logically unpick and refute without doing a lot of hard work.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 2:55 am

funeralxempire wrote:

Quote:
The Sunday school teacher is out. Good thing a substitute is available: Satan!

SATAN'S GUIDE TO THE BIBLE is an animated documentary. Join Satan as he shares Bible secrets, secrets the students' pastor learned at Christian seminary but is afraid to share. Thankfully, Satan's not afraid of losing his job.

Satan has amassed an impressive list of biblical scholars ready to reveal the "standard stuff" taught in Christian seminaries: Bart Ehrman (UNC Chapel Hill), John J. Collins (Yale), Dale Allison (Princeton Seminary), Susan Niditch (Amherst), Ron Hendel (UC Berkeley), and Hector Avalos (Iowa State). This is established seminary curriculum about biblical history, biblical morals, authorship claims, and early Christianity — a curriculum never shared with the congregation.

Darkly comedic, but thoroughly researched, SATAN'S GUIDE TO THE BIBLE is a fascinating journey into the secrets of the world's best-selling book.

Well Hail Satan!, but for serious I think I may like to check out this Satan's guide to the bible, I already read the damn bible that is part of why I am not a Christian anymore but I would like to read that book to see how they criticize the 'holy' book.

What I'd really like is a Satan inspired cook book, to show me some satanic food I could make, like maybe some pork with 'evil' garlic sauce lol or some kind of satanic vegan dish...lol idk me and my bf have been trying to eat a bit less meat but easier said than done. like we found a good way to cook tofu that I can stomach where we bake it for a bit to make it more chrispy and then throw it into whatver food we want to pair it with. But the last time my boyfriend forgot a step and it came out more with the texture I struggle with so I couldn't really eat it(I am autistic so some food textures really get to me, its not like I want to be like that....but yeah the only reason I liked the tofu the one time is because roasted and a bit crunchy mixed with refried beans...delicious. But cooked in a way that still left its weird texture....gross and it was hard to eat even with refried beans mixed in it.

That said I also cannot stand mashed potetoes, I like fries, baked potatoes, potatoes in soup and even boiled potatoes with chili, but I will not eat mashed potatoes because that texture bothers me...I can't even eat eggs like a normal person but I am fine with bits of egg in fried rice and egg drop soup, but if I get eggs in a breakfast burrito that makes it inedible for me. So whenever I do get a breakfast burrito I make sure to let them know I just want potatoes, chorizo, cheese and chilie but no egg ever. They always do it but I can't say I have never gotten a weird look for asking to get it without eggs....because probably they don't hear that request very often....most people like eggs I guess so people think it's weird when you say you hate them and just want the potatoes and meat.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2024, 4:59 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
My school scripture teacher got round such problems by saying that Jesus was both god and human, so it was the human part of him that had that moment of weakness during his crucifixion. I suppose if I asked how he could have been both, I'd have been reminded that light can be both a wave and a particle.

Yes, tempted in all ways as a man, yet without sin.

But sin is anything not in accord with god's will. Jesus' human side had to be in accord with his divinity, or the deal's off. There's no excuse for what he said. That dude was 100% A-Grade prime human :D

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 10:07 pm

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 11:21 pm

^
Yes that does look suspicious to me. But I often wonder whether there'll ever be proof, given the powerful imaginations of the apologists and the way they come out with (often barely) plausible explanations for every criticism and objection. Still, as their core assertions are so extraordinary, the burden of proof would seem to be theirs. And I've yet to see any sensible justification for a deity or anybody else to expect faith. The video touches on that - Jesus is said to have said that if you get proof then you're not as blessed as you would be if you'd just believed without it. What is so wrong about being objective and wanting to test things that don't look very credible? If I made a very implausible-looking claim, I'd be grateful if anybody took the trouble to test it, rather than dismissing it. But for some, it seems to be a case of blessed are the credulous as long as they point their credulity in our direction and nowhere else.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 11:30 pm

Also, they want you to use blind faith to believe in their God while they usually encourage you to scrutinize and reject other deities. They have different standards for their own set of beliefs. It’s extremely hypocritical.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 11:32 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Also, they want you to use blind faith to believe in their God while they usually encourage you to scrutinize and reject other deities. They have different standards for their own set of beliefs. It’s extremely hypocritical.

Monotheism in a nut shell: All gods are fake except for ours, which is totally different and real and beyond doubt.

Me: You were so close. :(

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 11:36 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

Monotheism in a nut shell: All gods are fake except for ours, which is totally different and real and beyond doubt.

Yes. :lol:

Sometimes they’ll refer to doubtful spiritual experiences they’ve supposedly had as “proof.” When I’ve pointed out that people in other faiths also have supposed spiritual experiences, apparently, those were from Satan. :wall:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 11:43 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

Yes. :lol:

Sometimes they’ll refer to doubtful spiritual experiences they’ve supposedly had as “proof.” When I’ve pointed out that people in other faiths also have supposed spiritual experiences, apparently, those were from Satan. :wall:

The other options are to undermine their worldview by suggesting other gods can also provide similar experiences or to concede that spiritual experiences might have not-supernatural explanations.

So instead, it's the boogieman. :twisted: