Israeli Eurovision Contestant Booed on Stage

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 2:21 pm

MaxE wrote:
slam_thunderhide wrote:
Why not try actually comparing like with like?
Then you will see that while Israel were permitted to compete at Eurovision, Russia have been banned for the past three years. So the Western establishment is actually far softer on Israel in cases like this than it is on Russia.

This is a valid point, perhaps your only one. Might be worth a discussion.

Agreed. Can you imagine the reaction if Israel was kicked out of international banking and had their assets frozen like Russia.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 2:51 pm

MaxE wrote:
slam_thunderhide wrote:
Why not try actually comparing like with like?
Then you will see that while Israel were permitted to compete at Eurovision, Russia have been banned for the past three years. So the Western establishment is actually far softer on Israel in cases like this than it is on Russia.

This is a valid point, perhaps your only one. Might be worth a discussion.

Has there been protests at Eurovision headquarters or at the residences of the Eurovision decision makers? I literally do not know.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Redpaws
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2024, 7:57 am

People are free to participate in legal demonstrations, but the booing and shouting from some members of the audience was disgusting, uncivilized, inappropriate and unacceptable. The lowlifes who acted in such boorish manner, and the Eurovision staff who allowed it to happen, should both be ashamed of themselves.
The Eurovision is a music contest. Not a political arena or battlefield. United by music, remember?

I've never been interested in the Eurovision, but I've gotten so fed up with the lies and behavior of the pro-Palestinian demonstrators, that when they encouraged people to boycott the show, I decided that this year I was gonna watch it.
And I did.

And I gave all my votes to Israel.

Eden Golan's song Hurricane was the best song, and the only one whose tune I remember. She can be very proud of herself and her performance. She performed it perfectly, and she defied the bullies who booed, shouted and threatened her. That takes a great deal of courage and inner strength. Commendable. Too bad they didn't win.

In spite of the loudness of the protests and the one-sided media coverage, Israel got 323 points from the people. While they didn't win the contest, they sure won the vote of the European people! The silent majority has spoken. :D

No terror, no war. No sympathy for terrorists or their supporters and sympathizers

Nightwing82
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 May 2024, 9:41 am

Speaking as a citizen of one of the most evil and aggressively imperialistic countries in the world (USA), I feel there should be nuance in the distinction between the actions of governments and what responsibility its citizenry should or shouldn't be held accountable for. People don't get to choose the government their country has and have little if any control over its actions. Should someone be shamed or discriminated against because their government commits atrocities? Should they be derided for feeling proud or loyal to their country? Keep in mind there's a distinction between a country and its government.

It's easy to just attack Israeli people because their country is the one whose atrocities are currently in the limelight. Have we forgotten the roles other Western governments are playing by either supporting Israel's war on Gaza or even failing to act in any meaningful way? Israel may be pointing the guns and pulling the triggers, but where do you think the guns come from?

Do the rest of us get to wash our hands of what's happening in Gaza simply because we are not Israelis?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 11:03 am

^
Thats just it.

If you're against punishing the whole population of Gaza for the crimes commited by HAMAS on 10/7 then you cant punish the populace of Israel for the current destruction of Gaza by the IDF.

BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 3:29 pm

Redpaws wrote:

In spite of the loudness of the protests and the one-sided media coverage, Israel got 323 points from the people. While they didn't win the contest, they sure won the vote of the European people! The silent majority has spoken. :D

"The silent majority"? No I don't think so.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 May 2024, 3:38 am

Nightwing82 wrote:
Speaking as a citizen of one of the most evil and aggressively imperialistic countries in the world (USA), I feel there should be nuance in the distinction between the actions of governments and what responsibility its citizenry should or shouldn't be held accountable for. People don't get to choose the government their country has and have little if any control over its actions. Should someone be shamed or discriminated against because their government commits atrocities? Should they be derided for feeling proud or loyal to their country? Keep in mind there's a distinction between a country and its government.

It's easy to just attack Israeli people because their country is the one whose atrocities are currently in the limelight. Have we forgotten the roles other Western governments are playing by either supporting Israel's war on Gaza or even failing to act in any meaningful way? Israel may be pointing the guns and pulling the triggers, but where do you think the guns come from?

Do the rest of us get to wash our hands of what's happening in Gaza simply because we are not Israelis?

naturalplastic wrote:
^
Thats just it.

If you're against punishing the whole population of Gaza for the crimes commited by HAMAS on 10/7 then you cant punish the populace of Israel for the current destruction of Gaza by the IDF.

This is another poor argument in the context of what this thread is about.

I will just reiterate that Eden Golan was specifically representing Israel at the song contest.

Those who were booing her were no doubt outraged that Israel had not been banned from the contest altogether.

When a country is committing war crimes, diplomatically isolating that country by banning them from cultural and sporting events is the sort of 'collective punishment' that is perfectly reasonable and proportionate - both in terms of international law and in terms of common sense.

Let's be honest. Eden Golan getting booed at a singing contest is nothing compared to what the people of Gaza are going through.

As for my own country, the UK, which has been supplying Israel with weapons - well, it sickens me. If other countries decided to diplomatically isolate the UK in response, I wouldn't be happy about it, but I would understand it.