Obsession over Fictional Characters...my alter-ego?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CMD
Raven
Raven

09 Aug 2010, 12:51 am

Yes, all the time. It's rather helpful too, since usually the characters I'm obsessed with are 'outsiders' just as I believe myself to be. Whenever I become upset over how different I am from others, I try to figure out how they coped. This usually brings me back to a state of bliss.

MechAnime
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 2:15 am

Arminius wrote:
I did all the time as a kid. I never connected it with AS and thought I was the only one. Now, I write my own stories. A lot of times, at least one character has enough of me in him or her to be my alter ego. The more like me they are, the more private, guarded, and secretive they get, and the harder dragging the story out of them becomes.

The easiest way to let you know how much I relate to this is to just post a snapshot of my "Skywriting". Ah... too complicated to explain the name..."Sky" is a character/force in one version of the story...

"Skywriting" wrote:
Where are you, <character's name - yes, I'm protective of his identity :) >? Are you to escape me as you escape all the others, staying elusive, never giving enough, always choosing the back door? One moment you are here and in another you are gone. Are you the snake biding captive time in the presence of mortals, just waiting for opportunity itself?
I see your back to me; I see your tail just turning the bend. I can't appear to catch you anymore than they can. Who are you? And how do they see you? Why do they want you? Do they really want you?

Etc.

bluelily3
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2010, 8:46 pm

frag wrote:
Call me crazy, but it sounds nice actually.

Well, it's not so nice when you are a Christian, and you feel guilty for practically idolizing something fictional like it's a god. But I know God make me the way I am, and if anyone understands me, He does.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 8:51 pm

bluelily3 wrote:
frag wrote:

Well, it's not so nice when you are a Christian, and you feel guilty for practically idolizing something fictional like it's a god. But I know God make me the way I am, and if anyone understands me, He does.

I'm a Christian too and I worry about this kind of thing too. But when I talk to my parents about it they reassure me that it's not idolization as long as you don't pray to the fictional characters, make them more important than God or turn to them for help instead of God.

bluelily3
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2010, 8:53 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
Whenever I feel passionate about a character, I think about which personality traits I admire most about them and try to apply them to my own life. I don't really pretend that they are my alter-ego, but rather that they are my imaginary friends who support me and encourage me. Though it should be noted that oftentimes the characters who become my imaginary friends possess characteristics that are present in my own personality, so I guess you could say they bring out the best in me.

I guess the imaginary friend thing makes more sense for what I do, instead of an alter ego too.

Also, I love you avatar. Tom Hulce makes the best Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart EVER!

bluelily3
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2010, 9:09 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
bluelily3 wrote:
frag wrote:

I'm a Christian too and I worry about this kind of thing too. But when I talk to my parents about it they reassure me that it's not idolization as long as you don't pray to the fictional characters, make them more important than God or turn to them for help instead of God.

Yeah, that's true. I guess I just feel like God gets jealous because I pay closer attention to my obsessions. Like, sometimes I would rather listen to a song that reminds me of that fictional character (it makes me a bit high, like the feeling you get when you fall in love) than a Christian song. That is almost like worship.

eon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Aug 2010, 9:12 pm

yes, my alter-ego is Barry Egan from punch drunk love...

with a dash of the water boy Bobby Boucher

both characters are the more complete and acceptable expression of justifiable rage for me.

in fact given the identifiable spectrum traits in barry egan i find this interesting now that i'm aware of my traits.

ADHDer since 1990. Diagnosed Aspie 8/2010

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 10:05 pm

bluelily3 wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:
Whenever I feel passionate about a character, I think about which personality traits I admire most about them and try to apply them to my own life. I don't really pretend that they are my alter-ego, but rather that they are my imaginary friends who support me and encourage me. Though it should be noted that oftentimes the characters who become my imaginary friends possess characteristics that are present in my own personality, so I guess you could say they bring out the best in me.

I guess the imaginary friend thing makes more sense for what I do, instead of an alter ego too.

Also, I love you avatar. Tom Hulce makes the best Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart EVER!

Out of curiosity, which characters are your imaginary friends?

Thank you! I agree, Tom Hulce was absolutely fantastic as Mozart! I was expecting Mozart to be uptight and serious, so I was pleasantly surprised at how easy-going and comedic he was. His laughter was infectious too. Speaking of Tom Hulce's Mozart, he is one of my (many) imaginary friends. My most recent one, in fact. My only regret is that I didn't "adopt" him sooner.

bluelily3 wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:
bluelily3 wrote:
frag wrote:

Yeah, that's true. I guess I just feel like God gets jealous because I pay closer attention to my obsessions. Like, sometimes I would rather listen to a song that reminds me of that fictional character (it makes me a bit high, like the feeling you get when you fall in love) than a Christian song. That is almost like worship.

I do the music thing too, complete with the "falling in love" feeling. I would rather listen to music that reminds me of my imaginary friends because I'm afraid that if I try to listen to songs of worship, my mind will wander anyway. I feel sort of guilty about it, but I don't consider it worship because it's not praising the characters. It's no different than listening to a song because it reminds you of a boyfriend/girlfriend.

ksuther09
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Aug 2010, 10:18 pm

To answer the original poster: Yes, I have gotten obsessed about fictional characters, or just a series in general. In High School, it was Harry Potter. I think it was because they were going through adolescence (teenage years) at the same time as I was, and they faced the same things but came out victorious. Also Harry Potter had a rough childhood & wasn't treated well at home so school was his haven. I could relate to that rather well, and so I became fixated on his character. Of course, I didn't realize it was an autism thing, so I beat myself up (inwardly) for still having fixations since I wanted to outgrow them...

One constructive way I used my fixation with Harry Potter was to look at their lives & parallel them to mine in my journaling. Then I could learn from their mistakes or draw from their character's victories to learn ways to cope.

bluelily3 wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:
bluelily3 wrote:
frag wrote:

WOO! Thanks guys for bringing this up! I'm experiencing my first really hard core fixation right now a Christian and now as someone aware of being on the autism spectrum. When I first became Christian, I was sorta fixated on Chris Tomlin since our church used a lot of his songs, but it mostly manifested itself in knowing a lot of his songs & listening to interviews for the story/theology behind his songs. That helped because he was actually a really great example of how someone laid down their career & talents for Christ. God used his story to help me give my undergrad years & aspirations to Him.

Like I said earlier, I'm still in a really really really strong fixation on a well known person with autism since I was just diagnosed & she's sorta my example. Here's how God is using that: Firstly I pray for her salvation a LOT whenever I find myself thinking about her story since I don't know how well she knows her Creator. Every time I think about her life as an example, I think of how her life is just a shadow of what Christ has done. If she's persevered through things, He persevered through the Cross. Whenever I wish I had some of the supports she's had, I thank God for the grace He has shown in her life & I ask Him to reveal some of that same grace He has shown in my past & that is actually rather healing.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 10:56 pm

bluelily3 wrote:
frag wrote:

It's a very, very, very fine line and one that I have been on both sides of, myself. This is why I will refuse any fixation now that looks like it's even BEGINNING to form around a real person (by now I know my mind well enough that there's a stage where I can reject a special interest before it really takes hold). At least with a fictional character (or set of characters), I have a clear divide in my mind between what is real and what is not.

I have also tried to work Christian principles into the fan fiction that I write, in the hopes that even these special interests of mine can serve.

Oh, and I totally identify with listening to music that reminds me of my characters!

ElmersTrueLove
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2024, 11:08 am

I have loved Elmer Fudd and been... romantically attracted to him since approximately August 2022. I hate how a lot of people in the fandom hate him and bully me for liking him, and the only normal fans usually lose trust in me (don't ask), and the only other fans are Bugsmer/Daffmer supporters (literal bestiality) or people like NurFaiza, who I have a whole post about on deviantart, she needs to be studied. I would be surprised if there was ONE normal fan out there who wouldn't lose trust in me (preferably 20+ so they don't) or fetishize Elmer or do bestiality stuff. I don't get why 99% of the fandom hates him so much.

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

angelsonthemoon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2024, 7:36 pm

Sometimes I'll say my thoughts in the voice of a character. Or I'll think about how the character is like me or would understand something others don't. But mainly what I do is watch AMVs about the characters and their relationships.

The song really hits me in the context of the series. The brotherly relationship of Cloud and Zack. "I'm the proof you existed." I guess that's beautiful because, no one wants to be forgotten.

angelsonthemoon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 May 2024, 5:50 pm

Since you mentioned Vegeta, here's a good AMV with an original song for him. There is some swearing.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2024, 6:33 pm

^ Just in case you didn't notice, OP hasn't logged in for over a decade.