The most unautistic music genres/scenes

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2013, 9:57 pm

MaxE wrote:
I think the most NT form of music is hard-core classic American rock of the sort Lee Atwater played (look it up).

I actually like disco. I always preferred it to most rock. Never went to a disco, though. But you certainly don't have to be NT to dress up.

What Lee Atwater was known for playing was the ROOTS of classic rock ( the blues), not classic rock itsself.Along with Belushi and Akroyd ( as the Blues Bros.) he was into keeping alive the music of BBKing, and Muddy Waters, et al. And the Sixties style Memphis and Chicago style soul that was close to the blues.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 5:07 pm

The least 'autistic' kind of music is probably Black Gospel music (kirk franklin, mahalia jackson).

Its about group, and community.

Any kind of medititive music, including Gregorian Chant music, would be the opposite ( religious or not).

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 11:09 pm

jamesmb113 wrote:
Granadox,

Perhaps thats a distinction your generation makes.

Back in the day, we either used the terms interchangeably, or designated what the metal you're referring to with the colorful modifier "Heavy f*****g Metal!! !"

The hair metal bands were just referred to as "posers", but there was a certain pecking order

1) Woe to those who lumped Judas Priest in with the hair metal bands.

2) Likewise AC/DC

3)One could definitely listen to the Scorpions and KISS, and still be taken seriously.

4) Motley Crue was mandatory, though a dissenting opinion accorded them poser status with the "Theater of Pain" album.

5) Def Leppard gave you a credibility penalty, but not too much. Definitely not as much as Poison and Europe.

I listen to all of the above, but again., far away from people.

It takes an all time favorite band to get me to a big rock show. I sit and listen as if I were at a Symphony concert.

The important thing here isn't whether it's actually metal or not, but the attitude of the hair bands. AC/DC definitely isn't a glam metal act, but they are still more "NT" than Iron Maiden, and to a lesser extent Judas Priest.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 11:38 pm

Probably country. Tough to think of a more social genre :).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 8:46 pm

jamesmb113 wrote:
Granadox,

Perhaps thats a distinction your generation makes.

Back in the day, we either used the terms interchangeably, or designated what the metal you're referring to with the colorful modifier "Heavy f*****g Metal!! !"

The hair metal bands were just referred to as "posers", but there was a certain pecking order

1) Woe to those who lumped Judas Priest in with the hair metal bands.

2) Likewise AC/DC

3)One could definitely listen to the Scorpions and KISS, and still be taken seriously.

4) Motley Crue was mandatory, though a dissenting opinion accorded them poser status with the "Theater of Pain" album.

5) Def Leppard gave you a credibility penalty, but not too much. Definitely not as much as Poison and Europe.

I listen to all of the above, but again., far away from people.

It takes an all time favorite band to get me to a big rock show. I sit and listen as if I were at a Symphony concert.

Definitions do change over time. Back then Hair Metal was a derogatory term used to describe the MTV friendly glam metal copycats that came out of the Sunset Strip scene that rose to popularity in late 1980's. Bon Jovi was not considered Hair Metal at all but a pop metal version of Springsteen, coming from New Jersey with working class themes. Now Bon Jovi is scene as a defining Hair Metal act. Def Leapord also now considered a hair metal act was from the UK not LA and played pop metal not glam metal.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 9:10 pm

jamesmb113 wrote:
Personally, I love heavy metal and Disco.

On earphones.

In the library.

As far away and physically seperated from other people as I can get.

Re nerd rock : give Iron Maiden a try. Long, involved instrumentals + lyrics drawn from Science Fiction, History, Literature and Horror.

The most non-NT rocker I can think of is Frank Zappa.

Nobody would love metal and disco back then or at least admit to it. It was considered as opposite as the most Autistic person on the spectrum and the most NT person. Heavy metal and most rock fans loathed disco and it got ugly and violent at times.
Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco_Demolition_Night
Read the"Musical" section and "Reaction and Aftermath" for background

Zappa is interesting. His dad was a engineer and mathematician, the man was brilliant and "different". But he did look very comfortable in interview situations. The best interview subject in the history of rock in my opinion. But you would have to know if he faded in lengthy chit chat have repetitive patterns etc.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 04 Dec 2013, 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 12:37 pm

The opposite of this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3_3U0DdBR8[/youtube]

TismRizzler
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 May 2024, 9:14 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Hair Metal
Heavy metal itself had a lot of sci fi/fantasy themes that would later show up in video games. But the hair metal subgenre was all about cockiness most of the videos were the same, guy band member motions the most scantly dressed and model type girl(s) from audience for later sex. A lot of double entendre lyrics ie not directly saying what they meant

What are you talking about? I'm Autistic and hair metal is my absolute favorite genre of music—in fact, it's the only genre I listen to anymore. I don't think it's possible to say whether or not a given genre is for Autistic people since we're all different.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2024, 9:49 pm

TismRizzler wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Hair Metal
Heavy metal itself had a lot of sci fi/fantasy themes that would later show up in video games. But the hair metal subgenre was all about cockiness most of the videos were the same, guy band member motions the most scantly dressed and model type girl(s) from audience for later sex. A lot of double entendre lyrics ie not directly saying what they meant

What are you talking about? I'm Autistic and hair metal is my absolute favorite genre of music—in fact, it's the only genre I listen to anymore. I don't think it's possible to say whether or not a given genre is for Autistic people since we're all different.

I don't think he's saying autistics can't enjoy hair metal, only that hair metal stereotypes diverge strongly from autistic stereotypes.

TismRizzler
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2024, 8:17 am

funeralxempire wrote:
TismRizzler wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Hair Metal

I don't think he's saying autistics can't enjoy hair metal, only that hair metal stereotypes diverge strongly from autistic stereotypes.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Jun 2024, 11:25 am

I think the least autistic music would be songs bragging about how popular they are. Like rap songs about clubbing & how many women(or using more vulgar words) they have or glam rock songs about partying & having sex with lots women.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition