Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

__Elijahahahaho
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2024, 9:06 am

Its been building up for a while.
Its really really stressful. I think it's basically latent xenophobia and also just bigotry and prejudice against me being a bit poor.

- randomly ghosted repeatedly in different things that should be inclusive and easy like volunteering at a food bank or community art festival.
- treated with suspicion when returning a girls phone I found, questioned aggressively by police
- friends make it hard to meet up, then stop messaging altogether and start saying really islamaphobic stuff..
- filmed by this weird guy the other day
- tried to arrange event at the library but library staff seem to ignore emails, give me mixed signals, initially very keen, but then no response.
- registered at a meetup supposed to be for diverse community projects was removed after registration for no reason, no response to complaint.

Things are going to be so bad when facebook releases these reality goggles. It will be like a black mirror episode.

I am not even obviously ethnically different.. or religious in any way.. I think there is just like, not really much community and its all hierarchy or something.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2024, 11:18 am

__Elijahahahaho wrote:
Its been building up for a while.
Its really really stressful. I think it's basically latent xenophobia and also just bigotry and prejudice against me being a bit poor.

- randomly ghosted repeatedly in different things that should be inclusive and easy like volunteering at a food bank or community art festival.
- treated with suspicion when returning a girls phone I found, questioned aggressively by police
- friends make it hard to meet up, then stop messaging altogether and start saying really islamaphobic stuff..
- filmed by this weird guy the other day
- tried to arrange event at the library but library staff seem to ignore emails, give me mixed signals, initially very keen, but then no response.
- registered at a meetup supposed to be for diverse community projects was removed after registration for no reason, no response to complaint.

Things are going to be so bad when facebook releases these reality goggles. It will be like a black mirror episode.

I am not even obviously ethnically different.. or religious in any way.. I think there is just like, not really much community and its all hierarchy or something.

I wish this weren't a more common way to exist. You see a similar thing with schizophrenia, but for slightly different reasons. In that case, it's usually the schizophrenic disconnecting and then failing to properly understand that the invitations aren't coming due to having refused enough prior invitations that folks don't bother. (Obviously, I'm not referring to what happens during or as a result of a psychotic episode)

This feeling of exclusion is often times not even just a feeling, but an actual reflection of things that are happening and it's one of the reasons why sites like this are so important.

stevens2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2024, 11:49 am

...randomly ghosted repeatedly in different things that should be inclusive and easy like volunteering at a food bank[/quote]

I got ghosted by a food bank when I was a regular volunteer. A church too, in a non-religious volunteer gig. These two situations were when I realized that volunteering isn't the social outlet that everyone promised it would be. I should have known better. Going to high school was voluntary. We mostly got ghosted there. Why would a food bank be any different?

I guess there aren't any more magic solutions left.