Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What is the most likely reason for Jesus non married status?
Poll ended at 22 Feb 2015, 7:54 am
Jesus was shy around women. 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Jesus was a homosexual. 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
Jesus wife was left out of the bible so that the church could marginalise women. 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Jesus wife was left out of the bible so the church could justify enforcing celibacy on the clergy in order to exempt church property from inheritance laws. 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Jesus probably had sex with some of the prostitutes he hang around with. 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Like most cult leaders, Jesus probably used many of his attractive followers for sex. 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Something else. 50%  50%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 26

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 8:39 pm

Fnord wrote:
Isn't it enough to appreciate the teachings of Jesus without also having to imagine romantic entanglements behind them?

Jewish marriages were not really considered to be romantic at the time. Keep in mind, romance is a Latin concept, it comes from the word Roman. Jewish culture was different. Marriage was a way to fulfill the Mosiac Law but you could not divorce and remarry because adultery went against the law. So, Jesus would have been dead set against any adulterer and most likely a married man.

Homosexuality was seen as idol worshiping or adultery by Jews, each against the Law, so they preached against both of these.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 8:40 pm

It's amazing how fundamentalists folks tend to 'neuter/SPAY' GOD and OR religious figures.

And to be clear that is a general point, not aimed at anyone in this discussion.

I mean, my GOD, 'they' have even been known to cut penises off of Stone Statues of religious figures when given the opportunity.

As science shows now, lust and creativity are directly associated as one driving the other in tandem of creative and or 'holy spirit flow', to use that metaphor, TOO.

If Jesus really existed, chances are, per most all creative leaning charismatic folks, he and Mary M. were likely doing the wild thing a whole lot, and probably with the prostitutes too; who knows, maybe both of them; and of course Jesus didn't think that marriage was gonna be a real thing in the Kingdom of Heaven NOW, so if he did exist, he probably would have fit into Woodstock in the 60's, listening to Beatles Music JUST FINE. :)

Hey Jude. ;)

This might have been a conversation between Jesus and Judas in all of reality that is.

Who knows.

I'll go with Thomas 37 on this one.

NO doubt in my mind, at least, this is TRUTH.

Quote:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/thomas.htm

Quote:
37) His disciples said to him, "When will you be visible to us,
and when shall we behold you?"
He said, "When you strip naked without being ashamed, and
take your garments and put them under your feet like little
children and tread upon them, then you will see the child of the
Living, and you will not be afraid."

In fact, I KNOW I WILL and do walk in 'his' BARE footsteps on this one. ;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 8:44 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Isn't it enough to appreciate the teachings of Jesus without also having to imagine romantic entanglements behind them?
Jewish marriages were not really considered to be romantic at the time. Keep in mind, romance is a Latin concept, it comes from the word Roman. Jewish culture was different. Marriage was a way to fulfill the Mosiac Law but you could not divorce and remarry because adultery went against the law. So, Jesus would have been dead set against any adulterer and most likely a married man. Homosexuality was seen as idol worshiping or adultery by Jews, each against the Law, so they preached against both of these.
So is that a "Yes" or a "No", or are you just evading the question with a small word salad?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 8:52 pm

Aghogday,

There's a chance Jesus's wife was named Mary but it's not easy figuring out who this is, exactly. She might not have had a great role in the preaching life, but could have very well been a back ground figure remaining in the shadows while Mary M. was the rich wife of a prominent Jew who had committed adultery and was helped by Jesus at some point so she helped his ministry out. Chances are, she was married to a fishermen/merchant since it might have been common for them to consort with adultresses.

Since Mary M. was given a more prominent role, odds are she was not married to J.

Fnord,

Jesus was most likely married. Why is that so hard for people to deal with? If was indeed Jewish, marriage would have been by far the norm and anyone unmarried was most likely thought of as an outcast without any credibility or status.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 8:56 pm

Jesus may or may not have been married. His marital state and sexuality are both irrelevant to the teachings He gave.

You all remind me of a bunch of little old ladies speculating and gossiping on the love lives of the nurses who take care of them.

Pathetic.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 9:06 pm

Fnord wrote:
Jesus may or may not have been married. His marital state and sexuality are both irrelevant to the teachings He gave.

You all remind me of a bunch of little old ladies speculating and gossiping on the love lives of the nurses who take care of them.

Pathetic.

Saying someone is married is NOT gossiping. I honestly seriously doubt he was gay since in Jewish culture at the time, chances are zero anyone would consciously accept they were gay and if they actually expressed homosexuality at all, it was kept very hush hush and most likely been people in the cities, not in the countryside.
Homosexuality was thought of as idol worshiping at the most, adultery at the least, and the Jewish culture was extremely conservative.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 9:48 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Aghogday,

There's a chance Jesus's wife was named Mary but it's not easy figuring out who this is, exactly. She might not have had a great role in the preaching life, but could have very well been a back ground figure remaining in the shadows while Mary M. was the rich wife of a prominent Jew who had committed adultery and was helped by Jesus at some point so she helped his ministry out. Chances are, she was married to a fishermen/merchant since it might have been common for them to consort with adultresses.

Since Mary M. was given a more prominent role, odds are she was not married to J.

Fnord,

Jesus was most likely married. Why is that so hard for people to deal with? If was indeed Jewish, marriage would have been by far the norm and anyone unmarried was most likely thought of as an outcast without any credibility or status.

Considering that just in a round table discussion when an idea is passed around from start to finish that pink unicorns can become blue dolphins, truly we likely know little to nothing about the REAL MAN JESUS, IF HE DID EXIST, as oral tradition is truly gossip too IN TRUE human EFFECT AND AFFECT.

Chances are that everything we see today in all the sacred written texts IS a collaboration of literally tens of thousands OR MORE of minds working together in the pursuit of truth, per a mythology amplified by the Early Roman Empire and power hungry early Roman Catholic Cohorts for their own selfish desires, as at least some scholarly research, does suggest.

My comment was simply a tongue and cheek one on the ludicrous nature for anyone with common sense that knows how fragile oral tradition, PER CONSISTENCY is, in just a round a round table conversation OF 30 minutes.

Per Jesus, if he did really exist, we are talking at least 4 decades of constantly changing and revising oral tradition, until it became text and that was refined and revised over and over again, to what it is now, depending on the revision one reads.

It is also common sense to note that the oral tradition was spread in the desert by illiterate folks, even in the ways of speaking common vocabulary back then.

The fact is the Roman Catholic church and the Roman Empire is largely responsible for what still exists in the New Testament, in both creative effort and substance.

But the GOOD NEWS IS, SOME OF IT STILL RINGS TRUE, SO WHOMEVER WROTE THAT IS also INTERESTED IN BOTH GOD AND TRUTH.

BUT WHEN IT COMES to idolizing anything as GOD, including the name of a man that is obviously for the selfish greed of both the Roman Empire rulers and power hungry early Roman Catholic Leaders that even the POPE today recognizes is still the case PER THAT GENERAL MINDSET, AT LEAST, it is noT much different than idolizing the three letter word GOD, instead of the essence THAT IS GOD AS TRUTH.

I have not missed a Sunday in Catholic Church going on one year and a half now, and the thing that draws me there is A PRACTICE OF Unconditional Love that is expressed by the MONSIGNOR THERE as a way of life, as to me, that is an Evolution of Love that we AS HUMAN BEINGS can both create and live as reality, for folks who truly understand that real human strength is in pro-social emotions, as we are evolved as one of the most advanced social animals capable of Unconditional Love in practice, IF PRACTICED AS SUCH.

AND WHEN I SAY STRENGTH, I am not just talking about emotional strength as the strength of Unconditional LOVE ACTUALLY EQUATES TO REAL HUMAN PHYSICAL STRENGTH IN MEASURABLE FLESH AND BLOOD EFFORT AND REAL HUMAN HEALTH IN OVERALL WELL BEING, as well as HEALING POTENTIAL FROM DISEASE AND DISORDER.

SO IN GENERAL, FOR those who do not practice what CAN BE REAL UNCONDITIONAL LOVE THEY ARE SIMPLY missing out on GOD's aka Mother Nature True's greatest gift to human beings.

The folks in the know about truth in the early Roman Catholic Church WHO ensured that truth stayed, AT LEAST IN SOME FASHION, are TRUE DELEGATES OF GOD TO ME.

IT MATTERS NOT WHO THEY WERE WHO WROTE THOSE TRUTHS OF HUMANKIND.

ALL that matters is that IT IS truth, AND WORKS, AND IT IS CLEAR TO SEE, HOW it affects and EFFECTS THE LIFE OF real life people, in terms of emotional, physical, and OVERALL WELLBEING HEALTH.

And sex is GOOD, AS god Creates human as the sexiest BEAST OF ALL, And THAT IS in large WHY WE ARE EVEN HERE NOW, AS SUPER SEXED creatures to get the job done, and sadly enough rape and pillage the earth TOO, in all that is REPRODUCTIVE AND CULTURAL HUMAN SUCCESS IN CREATIVITY, BOTH in productivity for greater human comforts and little ones filling up the narrow sidewalks of life.

If we AS HUMAN BEINGS USE THE third greatest gift FROM GOD of human reason we will accommodate that, and survive in balance with the earth.

If not, NOT, SADLY AS THAT REALITY may come to pass.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 10:17 pm

Aghogday - The gospels might have been revised by the early church in order to keep everything as simple as possible although certain Gnostic sects could have indeed been comprised of persons who took vows of chastity, similar to the way the Vestal Virgins did. There were many cults who were devoted to some kind of spirituality.

These were not orthodox Jews, exactly, although the members could have been born into traditional households and left to join Gnostic fringe groups who could have been the forerunners of monasteries and convents.
Orthodox Jewish tradition does not permit one to remain unmarried. It is thought of as a blemish to be so in such a culture, so a Rabbi would a wife. as a rule, and he would never be permitted to divorce her.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 10:31 pm

Jesus wasn't married because he truly understood women.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 11:06 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Aghogday - The gospels might have been revised by the early church in order to keep everything as simple as possible although certain Gnostic sects could have indeed been comprised of persons who took vows of chastity, similar to the way the Vestal Virgins did. There were many cults who were devoted to some kind of spirituality.

These were not orthodox Jews, exactly, although the members could have been born into traditional households and left to join Gnostic fringe groups who could have been the forerunners of monasteries and convents.
Orthodox Jewish tradition does not permit one to remain unmarried. It is thought of as a blemish to be so in such a culture, so a Rabbi would a wife. as a rule, and he would never be permitted to divorce her.

Yes, I agree, and my first comment does reflect that, per if Jesus really existed as anyone at all, PER Historical context in truth.

I live in a very fundamentalist religious town, which once is reported as having the most churches per square mile of any locality in the U.S., per Guinness World Records. It's kind of like OLD JerUSAlem in the U.S., if you can imagine that, AND I hope to help you with that. :)

The way Jesus is described in the gnostic SACRED texts per what he is reported as saying, per much of it I do, currently see as metaphorical truth, no matter who really wrote it, the folks in my town WOULD DISMISS him as crazy without a doubt, now, still, EVEN IF HE DID COME AGAIN, and if it was a hundred years ago, they would have likely strung him up out in the woods somewhere, and likely killed him one way or the other in a quick death or slower, overall one, precipitated as such through MALICE OF HATE for him just being different than the rest of the fundamentalist herd of HEARD IN THOUGHT.

Interestingly AND ironically enough, the semi fictional AND or SEMI non-fictional accounts of Jesus' struggles then, back in the early JEWISH traditional days, would still apply now, at least, to some extent, as the folks in my area per fundamentalist churches have generally the same restricted literal mindset as the folks in those days were described, as having too.

If Jesus comes today, DESCRIBED AS SUCH IN THE GNOSTIC GOSPELS, if you can imagine him as a woman accompanied by a little girl, he or she would look a lot like this, VIDEO BELOW, in respect to my local community, some of them dressed just like this who carry themselves with the similar OPPRESSED, REPRESSED AND SUBJUGATED THROuGH ILLUSORY FEARS OF FUNDAMENTALIST LEANING controlling RELIGION dead walk and look, overall, per Zombie Apocalypse LEANING stuff, more or less.

And I'm almost sure he would end up in a rave club dancing, somewhere ELSE, instead, like the video suggests for the woman in it, to celebrate the real GOD of UNCONDITIONAL Human LOVE connection and all the joy that is possible for humanKIND WHEN connecting this way.

So I say YAY FOR THAT IMAGE OF JESUS IN MY MIND, AT LEAST, AND dance on Jesus BABY wild and FREE IN ALL THAT HUMANKIND CAN BE, with all others too LIVING A LIFE OF UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. :)

SO YEAH, IF JESUS truly is a human ABSTRACT construct I say make HIM ALL HE AND OR SHE CAN BE IN THE SPIRIT OF THAT IN OUR EVERYDAY LIFE WHATEVER we see it as IN TRUTH.

FOR OTHER folks he might be a motorcycle mechanic.

WHO knows. ;)

I know one thing for sure, and that is FREEDOM IN BEING WILD AND FREE HUMAN BEING IS TRUTH IN COOL. :)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 11:08 pm

Fnord wrote:

No disagreement here.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 11:57 pm

On the other hand, by this time they were Hellenized Jews, so maybe they were doing it the Greek style...

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 1:38 am

Islamic culture today reflects how Jewish culture was when Jesus was around. If you look at Islamic countries attitudes toward God, prophets and Sharia Law, you will see something akin to Mosaic Law as it was practiced in Jesus's day and if you went against the Law, you could be stoned of crucified. We can pretty much figure out, if Jesus did in fact exist back then, he was crucified for going against the Jewish priesthood and the Roman occupation of Palestine. He was vocal about how little he cared for either and pretty much thought Jews needed to be more fundamental. Remember it was not Jesus but others who wrote most of the flowery stuff about charity. Jesus pretty much said if you didn't follow the Law of God you would most certainly go to hell and he would cast out anyone who refused to follow it.

Time and time again he instructed people to repent of their sins and if people flat out refused to go along with Jesus, they were not allowed in.

This is why I can say with certainty, Jesus was definitely not what we call gay today. You did not see people claiming to be gay. There were adulterers and people who were not and adulterers could choose the same sex or the opposite. It was thought of as the same crime and punishable by the same methods. If there was ever a moment Jesus did think about sex with another man, which is most likely he was definitely indoctrinated out of feeling extreme emotion and perhaps great fear if such a thought ever entered his mind, he would quickly recognize it as sinful and he would denounce it as a sin and something he had to fight to be on right in the eyes of God. So he wouldn't have said he was gay or identify with homosexuality because of how it was in Jewish culture at the time.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 2:07 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Islamic culture today reflects how Jewish culture was when Jesus was around. If you look at Islamic countries attitudes toward God, prophets and Sharia Law, you will see something akin to Mosaic Law as it was practiced in Jesus's day and if you went against the Law, you could be stoned of crucified. We can pretty much figure out, if Jesus did in fact exist back then, he was crucified for going against the Jewish priesthood and the Roman occupation of Palestine. He was vocal about how little he cared for either and pretty much thought Jews needed to be more fundamental. Remember it was not Jesus but others who wrote most of the flowery stuff about charity. Jesus pretty much said if you didn't follow the Law of God you would most certainly go to hell and he would cast out anyone who refused to follow it.

Time and time again he instructed people to repent of their sins and if people flat out refused to go along with Jesus, they were not allowed in.

This is why I can say with certainty, Jesus was definitely not what we call gay today. You did not see people claiming to be gay. There were adulterers and people who were not and adulterers could choose the same sex or the opposite. It was thought of as the same crime and punishable by the same methods. If there was ever a moment Jesus did think about sex with another man, which is most likely he was definitely indoctrinated out of feeling extreme emotion and perhaps great fear if such a thought ever entered his mind, he would quickly recognize it as sinful and he would denounce it as a sin and something he had to fight to be on right in the eyes of God. So he wouldn't have said he was gay or identify with homosexuality because of how it was in Jewish culture at the time.

While I absolutely agree that modern Islamic society probably bears a striking resemblance to the Judean culture Jesus was raised in, and that He was very critical of the priesthood, who were often Roman collaborators. But I find myself disagreeing with your claim that Jesus never had uttered the stuff about loving one's neighbor and charity. One can be critical of the powers that be, and love one's neighbors.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 2:08 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I absolutely agree that modern Islamic society probably bears a striking resemblance to the Judean culture Jesus was raised in, and that He was very critical of the priesthood, who were often Roman collaborators. But I find myself disagreeing with your claim that Jesus never had uttered the stuff about loving one's neighbor and charity. One can be critical of the powers that be, and love one's neighbors.

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 5:49 am

I wonder if few people have a need to find a wife for Jesus, because is more socially acceptable to be married then remain single for the rest of your life, heck!, I wonder if some are trying to find a partner for Isaac Newton as well, whether homosexual or heterosexual.

Are they going to say that Jesus was a ladies' man by modern standards? I wouldn't be surprised.