I'm losing my faith in the fight against US obesity

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 1:35 pm

Raptor wrote:
aghogday wrote:
That has to be the weakest attempt at a personal attack I have received here, yet, and nah, no attempt has been successful yet.

If it had been a personal attack you'd know it.

My reply to the OP was:
If you're fat and you consider it a problem worth correcting then it's your fight against obesity, not anyone else's.
If you are fat but lack the gumption to to lose weight then oh well......
If you are not fat then you have nothing to worry about for the time being.

You come in with all kinds of gibberish including a few mentions of guns, for whatever reason. Gibberish because it in no way relates to my post.
Whatever, I'm not going to take the time to go back and forth on this with you.

YOU KNOW GUNS.. LIKE YOUR SPECIAL INTEREST, 'clint' and your big MAGNUM 357 styled AVATAR.. AND YOU know the RAZZ smile like a joke.. WITH MY BIG BICEPS THAT ARE ALSO KNOWN AS GUNs.. and the bebe RIFLE Gun i was a toting on my shoulders as my REAL LIFE Avatar.. I put up just for fun and laughs....

Lighten up dude, trust me, IF YA WILL, it'll LIKELY do ya good..;)

In other words it was just a joke, can ya chill...;)

And as far as personal attacks go they are nothing to 'superman', either in myth or real life.....

So bring 'em on.. if ya like, I care not.... at least in my opinion... SO GO AHEAD.. 'Make My Day'... :P

And when you attack AND INSULT MY intelligence I WILL BITE BACK with "I'll BE BACK" wit.. :P

..NO matter how weak the attempt is, as you just did in evidence per the record as it exists....

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 3:16 pm

aghogday wrote:
Raptor wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Raptor wrote:
If you're fat and you consider it a problem worth correcting then it's your fight against obesity, not anyone else's.

Does anyone have a clue wtf aghogday is rambling about this time? :roll:

That has to be the weakest attempt at a personal attack I have received here, yet, and nah, no attempt has been successful yet.

Congratulations and have a nice day.

Other than that it's just Health 101, as that is one my college majors, out of three, per Bachelor's of Science.

In other words, I have the credentials to speak to this issue, also as a lifetime special interest, in ways of XXtreme strength training, dance, and martial arts, of which one at least I have been named expert in, per a Kung FU FREE style of martial arts, by a military training expert for elite forces in the military.

That's all.

nOt... yOu... AgaIN 8O 8O 8O
stOP ShoUtinG AT My tHoUGHts

Pretty Please :ninja:

Anyway, regarding fat people
Here in Belgium we have an obese minister of Health.
Is it right? Who gives a toss. It's a tabboo subject here in Belgium, the general opinion when she got elected was one of apathy. And on she carries, being a role model to plenty of little and bigger Belgians. Glutony is socially acceptable. And it's as simple as that.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 3:32 pm

guzzle wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Raptor wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Does anyone have a clue wtf aghogday is rambling about this time? :roll:

Congratulations and have a nice day.

Other than that it's just Health 101, as that is one my college majors, out of three, per Bachelor's of Science.

In other words, I have the credentials to speak to this issue, also as a lifetime special interest, in ways of XXtreme strength training, dance, and martial arts, of which one at least I have been named expert in, per a Kung FU FREE style of martial arts, by a military training expert for elite forces in the military.

That's all.

nOt... yOu... AgaIN 8O 8O 8O
stOP ShoUtinG AT My tHoUGHts

Pretty Please :ninja:

Anyway, regarding fat people
Here in Belgium we have an obese minister of Health.
Is it right? Who gives a toss. It's a tabboo subject here in Belgium, the general opinion when she got elected was one of apathy. And on she carries, being a role model to plenty of little and bigger Belgians. Glutony is socially acceptable. And it's as simple as that.

To be clear the use of CAPS, in modern cutting EDGE online communication, is NOT shouting and ONLY a literary device used to retain reader attention, in an increasing 140 character limit Twitter world, where humans, generally speaking, are now assessed by science, with the literal attention span equivalent to a GOLDFISH, so NO, I am NOT shouting when I use CAPS like this as a literary device, and it is definitely LESS obtrusive than the use of the BOLD alternative, so NOW I am asking you to accommodate this FREE and rational approach to modern ONLINE human social reciprocal communication or simply ignore me if you like, as there is an appropriate and very effective tool to use on this new software platform for THAT.

Other than THAT my somewhat unique style of reciprocal social communication was NOT directed at YOU, my friend..;)

AND by the way what is socially acceptable and what is human common sense, in the way of human health and well being, are often two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT 'types' of human beings.

If the HEALTH minister dies in two years, there will be another TO FILL in. ;)

And perhaps in that case, her life will serve as an excellent example for human common sense, unless it is a medical problem that COULD be the case that she cannot help at all.

And if that is the case, she definitely gets a 'hall monitor' pass from me..;)

Last edited by aghogday on 07 Jan 2015, 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 3:46 pm

what's it with this topic ? all these testosteronefilled avatars 8)
some triggerwords : losing? faith? fight? against US? :D :D :D :D

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 3:53 pm

traven wrote:
what's it with this topic ? all these testosteronefilled avatars 8)
some triggerwords : losing? faith? fight? against US? :D :D :D :D

Well, mine for one is just a joke, as my real life testosterone is about that of a 75 year old man AT 277, by current doctor record that belies the FACT THAT I CAN PRESS 860 LBS WITH my legs now on Nautilus Parallel free weight Leg Press Machine, at age 54, much more than the REAL TESTOSTERONE FILLED MARINE dudes can do at my elite military gym.

Other than that, I like to make silly faces, and doing silly antics of posture, just for fun.

Other than that, I am a p**** cat, as long as people stay on my respectful side.....

But yeah, I am a graceful Tiger too...;)

If need be....

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 4:17 pm

aghogday wrote:
To be clear the use of CAPS, in modern cutting EDGE online communication, is NOT shouting and ONLY a literary device used to retain reader attention, in an increasing 140 character limit Twitter world, where humans, generally speaking, are now assessed by science, with the literal attention span equivalent to a GOLDFISH, so NO, I am NOT shouting when I use CAPS like this as a literary device, and it is definitely LESS obtrusive than the use of the BOLD alternative, so NOW I am asking you to accommodate this FREE and rational approach to modern ONLINE human social reciprocal communication or simply ignore me if you like, as there is an appropriate and very effective tool to use on this new software platform for THAT.

Hmmm, explains a lot. No use Twitter me. And this is WP :(
Anyway, you might end up on ignore if I can't poke you.
And you will be filed away with the other lost causes.
Would be a shame though cause in all that waffle of yours there is SOME common sense somewhere...

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 4:29 pm

guzzle wrote:
aghogday wrote:

Hmmm, explains a lot. No use Twitter me. And this is WP :(
Anyway, you might end up on ignore if I can't poke you.
And you will be filed away with the other lost causes.
Would be a shame though cause in all that waffle of yours there is SOME common sense somewhere...

WELL, that my friend, is your will and not mine.

There is no way MOST folks can filter through my standard way of 17 grade level Microsoft WORD Measured reciprocal social communication long sentence and paragraph flow, without a 'little' emotion and out of the BOX creativity from me.

Some communication, in my opinion, is better than none. :)

So I for one, learn from others as this technique was adopted from someone ELSE on this WP website, first, as I saw the brilliant and simple common sense technique back then, and I use what I find that I know works, overall, but no solution is perfect, and that is a lesson to learn and live by too, per change what one can, and accept the REST as IS.

AND THAT my friend, is what I for one, practice, as a way of life, every now of every NOW. :)

And I totally and respectfully accept the FACT THAT NOT everyone is going to either agree with my practice of life in affect or effect, and that is more than fine with me, as is. :)

But I am a deep thinker and expresser of all things, so NO WAY, I for one, am going to 'DEVOLVE' LIKE SOME others into a Twitter World of communication.

There are the Twitter folks in the world and a whole range of others potentially up to my current way of communication.

And yes, some folks have told me my way of NOVEL communication is both creative and brilliant, and other folks call it gibberish, and I say oh well, what will be will be....AND SMILE ON.....

AFTER they endure my wit..;)

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 4:41 pm

Obesity isn't about food.
And non-obese people often have other issues.

Where I once worked, I was probably the most unfit person there - but I was the healthiest!

I'm not a stress-head. I don't fuss about "eating right." Every time I have a checkup, including a dozen bloodworks, all the numbers are perfect - despite not eating right, not exercising enough and being mildly overweight. At 57, my worst problem is a little gout.

Meanwhile, the people I once worked with, exercise daily, are always on some food regimen thing and always on guard about what they eat. They have joint problems, high stress, high blood pressure, doctors putting them on pills for this and that, regular appointments at physiotherapists, and can't enjoy what they eat without concern.

Obesity is more about personal issues than diet and exercise. And people who exercise a lot and choose special diets are often the flip side of the very same coin.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jan 2015, 4:55 pm

aghogday wrote:

Just the opposite. It's hard to scan and read, and on the Internet, anything in caps is interpreted by custom as either an acronym, or shouted.

Back on topic, I still don't see what the problem is with consumer choice. Producers will make what people are willing to pay for. Just because the people want what's cheap and filling, when you would prefer they eat something else, doesn't mean there's a "problem" for paternalistic gub'mint to step in and solve.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 5:30 pm

drh1138 wrote:
aghogday wrote:

Just the opposite. It's hard to scan and read, and on the Internet, anything in caps is interpreted by custom as either an acronym, or shouted.

Back on topic, I still don't see what the problem is with consumer choice. Producers will make what people are willing to pay for. Just because the people want what's cheap and filling, when you would prefer they eat something else, doesn't mean there's a "problem" for paternalistic gub'mint to step in and solve.

That's your opinion, and your entitled to it but that's all it is, is your opinion.

If no one was willing to change, we would still be living in caves.

Thanks to folks like me, we no longer live in caves....

Including your other statement, per solo opinion, as rising health care costs in the U.S. THAT are a direct result, in part, of rising Obesity RATES, is a much greater catastrophic National Health Emergency, overall, than Autism is for sure, as just one common analogy of health crisis, in the National Media, government supported, as such.

Fixing IT is the challenge and NO COOKIE CUTTER solution is gonna work.

And yes, the government per organized National effort, will obviously have to be part of THAT, as it sure is not going to happen by grass roots alone.

And now, that's just my opinion. ;)

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 6:07 pm

Narrator wrote:
Obesity isn't about food.
And non-obese people often have other issues.

Where I once worked, I was probably the most unfit person there - but I was the healthiest!

I'm not a stress-head. I don't fuss about "eating right." Every time I have a checkup, including a dozen bloodworks, all the numbers are perfect - despite not eating right, not exercising enough and being mildly overweight. At 57, my worst problem is a little gout.

Meanwhile, the people I once worked with, exercise daily, are always on some food regimen thing and always on guard about what they eat. They have joint problems, high stress, high blood pressure, doctors putting them on pills for this and that, regular appointments at physiotherapists, and can't enjoy what they eat without concern.

Obesity is more about personal issues than diet and exercise. And people who exercise a lot and choose special diets are often the flip side of the very same coin.

The greatest insanity with the current SCIENCE OF EXERCISE is treadmills, running, elliptical machines, bicycles, and even walking in straight lines as truly Einstein's definition of Insanity as doing the same dam thing over and over and expecting a different outcome does apply to both human insanity, and human suffering/misery.

AS an exercise physiologist per degree major, any bio-mechanically human effort done over and over WILL EVENTUALLY RESULT IN HUMAN REPETITIVE movement ERGONOMIC PRODUCED CHRONIC INJURY, INCLUDING Arthritis, Tendonitis, Tension, Chronic Stress, and eventually, even potentially EARLIER death.

Science even shows now that running a marathon can produce similar damage to the heart as a minor heart attack.

Moving like our ancestors did in hunting and foraging to remain invisible to both predator and prey is the NATURAL AND COMMON SENSE WAY OF HUMAN MOVEMENT.

Unfortunately, humans, for the most part, no longer forage or hunt, and weapons, long ago, made the necessity of being invisible less a life or death scenario.

Creative movement that never stays the same, in moderate effort over long periods of time, is the true way to human health, and even healing the past repetitive injury issues that come with 'rodent treadmill' exercise ways of life....

I have absolutely no pain now; however, I am still diagnosed with severe degenerative osteoarthritis of the spine, as a early onset result of a congenitally fused T-6 vertebra in my neck, AND spinal stenosis.

The pain was completely disabling in every now of every now of potential human movement, until I naturally learned how to move in martial arts and ballet ways of movement by instinct and intuition, all natural, alone.

All I needed to do was move in a creative constantly changing full range of movement to become human again, and once again join a 'tribe of dance'.

I started the whole thing by walking in reverse where one step at a time eventually provided the balance, agility, and strength to glide on terrestrial earth, where some folks literally NOW believe I AM wearing skates.

In a way, I'm truly a little bit like an earthbound Jonathan Living Seagull, in true metaphor of affect and effect....

My doctor laughed at me, at first, in disbelief, but that is what her text book 'told her to do', when I told her what finally worked, after 5 long years of failure, with her medical book assistance.

I on the other hand, learned from within, as every Yogi does, who lives all alone in the mountains without anyone telling them what to do.

And it worked, and I have the irrefutable evidence that shows it worked, at least for me.

And truly if I'm not really some kind of 'Superman', it should work for others too, as I am only a fragile human too, until the fullest of human potential is more fully realized through practice, practice, practice with both human instinct and intuition of truly moving life as 'free verse poetry' too. :)

But truly Eastern philosophies of medicine in movement have understood this principle of moving human leverage WITH gravity as a creative art, for thousands of years, and western science is just now catching up to WHY IT WORKS, AND THE FACT THAT IT DOES WORK, FOR THOSE who come to understand how to practice it, as truly a religion of sorts, in the most vital and healthy human way to connect to what I understand as GOD with the GRAVITY OF MOTHER NATURE TRUE, INSTEAD of fighting against it, with human misery, suffering, and a potential premature death.

So no, the way the west currently looks at exercise as science could potentially be worse, in full eventual effect and affect, than just sitting on the couch with a positive outlook on life.

Dancing 'free verse poetry style dance' WITH a positive attitude, as far as I am concerned, is the REAL LIFE TICKET TO REAL LIFE HUMAN HEAVEN, with a 'little' inspirational music added in to FUEL THE HIGHEST OF HUMAN POTENTIAL. :)

BUT that's just my extremely experienced opinion, with a touch of Heath Science Education per college degree, and as an Athletic Director for a military installation to go alone with it.

The Athletic Director thingy, is all about the science of sports, and not much I agree with, except for an excellent tribal alternative to violent wars and other tribal human conflicts. :)

So yes, organized Sports are a POTENTIAL saving human grace, as well. :)

And the last thing the last kid picked on the sports teams in P.E. in school, was expected to be, IS A government employed Athletic Director at a Military Installation.

I'm still glad I never played football in school, as I'm sure I'd have some lasting chronic injuries, as most of my acquaintances who did play now have, and even a potential broken neck, in my case, per the inherent anomaly in my neck. :)

Yup, this is just another one of my many all encompassing special interests, at least for the moment. ;)

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 7:00 pm

^^^^^^^
I agree that natural movements that use the full range of motion are better for the body than single-focus repetitive exercises (treadmill, stairmaster etc.)

I disagree that extensive use of caps is a helpful literary device, It makes your posts much harder to read than they otherwise would be. My eyes (lots of peoples' eyes) don't scan easily over extensive use of caps. If they work on Twitter it's probably because the character limit keeps those posts so short.

Using caps sparingly or using bolding or italics would make your posts less of a chore to read.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 10:45 pm

Janissy wrote:
^^^^^^^
I agree that natural movements that use the full range of motion are better for the body than single-focus repetitive exercises (treadmill, stairmaster etc.)

I disagree that extensive use of caps is a helpful literary device, It makes your posts much harder to read than they otherwise would be. My eyes (lots of peoples' eyes) don't scan easily over extensive use of caps. If they work on Twitter it's probably because the character limit keeps those posts so short.

Using caps sparingly or using bolding or italics would make your posts less of a chore to read.

To be clear, I do not use Twitter now for anything but to link my poetic blog links.

And for the people who do suggest it bothers them, I try to keep that in mind out of respect as long as the same is shown to me.

And I will do that for you when we directly converse in the future; however, the Twitter phenomenon is a general phenomenon per the ability for folks to focus without some kind of novel stimulus, and overall, many folks do need a little extra punch, to stay 'awake' when reading.

That's just, generally speaking, a new fact of life, in the herd of culture.

Yes, it's give and take, as everything in life is, per different strokes for different folks..:)

But the bottom line is freedom of expression, per freedom of speech, is priceless, per the ultimate price paid for that in France, recently.

And I do not expect to please everyone with my methods of communication but I will continue to be free, as allowed here, per guidelines as is, per freedom of expression and speech. :)

And if at some point in the future, it becomes too restrictive here, I will simply move on to a place that allows freedom of speech and expression more fully and not come back here, as I have done in the past.

But for now, the moderation here is reasonable, per allowing freedom of speech and expression, as long as no one is personally attacked.

And I am personally attacked here occasionally, still, as the recent record clearly shows but I understand the common human frailties behind that kind of behavior, so it is nothing to me, but a cause for silly banter.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 7:40 pm

Agriculturalists give antibiotics to their livestock to make them fat. Last I heard no one really knows for sure why it works, only that it does.

Doctors hand out antibiotics like candy to patients with viral infections to shut them up and get them out of the office within their 5 minute allotment of time.

Both practices lead to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, which is a problem for all of us.

http://news.sciencemag.org/health/2012/ ... ake-us-fat

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 10:10 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
I'm losing my faith in the private sector or market in the US on the fight against American obesity. I'm losing faith in her in general. I used to believe that the government should stay out of food cabinets and taxing junk food, but now I believe that in recent times, the government needs to step in. I really want something done once and for all that will get society to exercise and eat better. Heck, I'll even take primitivism.

Interestingly, a huge part of the problem is that the exact opposite has been happening. Sure, everyone says, "If you are fat, that's your problem and you have no one else to blame - don't get the government involved".

Except the government already is involved. From massive subsidies to the producers of the worst foods (which happen to also be the most readily available and most heavily marketed) to the blatant revolving door between government agencies and corporations such as Monsanto, the government could barely be *more* involved. I guess that is why I find the Libertarian & Republican stances of "no government involvement" so incredibly ironic. Agribusiness alone has directly financed 1.3 billion usd in lobbying over the last 18 years & they are just a small player in the lobbying business. Congress may as well start wearing sponsor patches on their suit coats so we at least know where their actual loyalties lie.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 10:37 pm

wrt. CAPS, it's not the same as shouting everything - it's the same as shouting the words in caps. It comes across like some old-timey preacher going on about how everyone needs to FIND JEEE-SUS! or burn in the fiery pits of HELL.