Cheerful, upbeat, positive attitude- anyone else hate this?

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

sovereign254
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jan 2010, 1:12 am

If you're dealing with people on a constant basis, like a cashier or something, yeah, you should at the very least smile and sound somewhat happy. However, if you're behind the scenes, then no, I don't see why being all smiles and laughs is necessary.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 1:54 am

sovereign254 wrote:
If you're dealing with people on a constant basis, like a cashier or something, yeah, you should at the very least smile and sound somewhat happy. However, if you're behind the scenes, then no, I don't see why being all smiles and laughs is necessary.

Who knows the smile and laugh might be considered as 'fake'?

Or that they make us weird.

Strangely enough, I often laugh and smile myself.

BigBrain
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jan 2010, 2:44 am

many times employers post undefinable rules for jobs this is mostly due to legal reasons It gives the employer a catch 22 a legal way of terminating employees without all the usual red tape example: company a needs an energetic go getter but hired a lazy dud they can not fire someone for being lazy so they simply state this person did not meet the companies policy of dress code, or attitude, or was not a team player....lol thats my favorite what team lol is this football? anyway just my 2 cents

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 9:24 am

BigBrain wrote:
many times employers post undefinable rules for jobs this is mostly due to legal reasons It gives the employer a catch 22 a legal way of terminating employees without all the usual red tape example: company a needs an energetic go getter but hired a lazy dud they can not fire someone for being lazy so they simply state this person did not meet the companies policy of dress code, or attitude, or was not a team player....lol thats my favorite what team lol is this football? anyway just my 2 cents

I don't know about football (Plax Burgess I guess?), but in basketball, this is kind of true. That was Memphis Grizzlies in relation to Allen Iverson and Washington Wizards wrt Gilbert Arenas, in my personal opinion.

But then, in case we are terminated...

'Sir, may I know why am I not doing the job? Please tell me why because I hope to improve myself.'

alana
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 5:12 pm

god yes. in other words "must be fake for a sustained period of time".

It's almost as annoying as 'must be a team player', 'must work well with others', etc etc etc. I am NOT a team player, but I don't run seek and destroy missions on coworkers either. I DON'T work well with others, mainly because they won't leave me alone. I AM capable of live and let live, but it is never like that at work. Usually the people whom they think are 'team players' are borderline sociopaths using every trick in the book to get ahead. I remember being profoundly shocked after having been in the work force for a few years and realizing that a) work is not about "work", "work" is probably the least thing you have to worry about when working for a living and b) I can't believe I was ever so naive as to believe that 'work' was really about "working" and all I had to do was do the work of my job and I would be okay.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 10:43 pm

We may not be good team players, but as long as we do what's good for our teams in our own responsibilities while concentrate solely on it and not team politics, why shouldn't these guys employ us?

Just ignore the 'must' if it doesn't apply to us!

bigdave
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2010, 11:58 pm

FuzzyElephants wrote:
I've been job hunting for a week or two now and I've been getting rather agitated when a perspective employer lists requirements like "Must be cheerful" "Person must have a positive attitude" "Must be an upbeat go-getter". To me it just doesn't seem fair to put something that can't be measured as a requirement for a job. Not only that it's exhausting to have to smile all damn day just to keep a job. It's not that I'm not a cheerful, upbeat go-getter with a positive attitude... it's that most people don't think I look like a cheerful upbeat go-getter with a positive attitude. I actually got fired once for being "gloomy" which pissed me off because I wasn't gloomy I was concentrating... how can this kind of crap even be a valid reason to hire or fire someone?

I hate seeing that! I've been job hunting for the past 5 months and a lot of the jobs I would be qualified list all those as requirements. I have all that I just don't usually show it.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 5:14 am

Employers lie about job prospects, and expect you to be dishonest too.However, both need to believe they are not being dishonest with themselves, in order not to get found out. Interviews and job ads barely have anything to do with the jobs, they are just a hoop you jump through. What you will find is how similar job ads are, even when they try to be different.

riverspark
Toucan
Toucan

04 Apr 2010, 10:50 pm

alana wrote:
I remember being profoundly shocked after having been in the work force for a few years and realizing that a) work is not about "work", "work" is probably the least thing you have to worry about when working for a living and b) I can't believe I was ever so naive as to believe that 'work' was really about "working" and all I had to do was do the work of my job and I would be okay.

Me too! You summed it up perfectly! :)

LP0rc
Raven
Raven

04 Apr 2010, 11:54 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Yeah, it really sucks when employers have control of the labor market and can make crap requirements like this. Sure, they always want people to work as hard and efficiently as Lieutenant Commander Data, put up with their abuse like Jesus did during His last Passover week here, and be smiling like the Joker the whole time. It is practically abject hypocrisy to expect someone to be able to meet all these expectations without being forced to be deceitful. But when they have control of the labor market, they not only state these ridiculous wants as requirements, but then can demand that their workers and applicants play along under threat of unemployment.

Hey, it's Friday! Only two more work days until Monday! Then we get to start a whole new productive week filled with structured activities! Man, you know how lucky we are? Some people have to pay resorts and camps and stuff for that, and we get paid for it!

Ok, so it is ad absurdum, but it passes for good cheer and even motivational when delivered in an upbeat manner.

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 1:40 am

Cyanide wrote:
I don't need someone asking me about my day and all that crap. Not to mention the obviously-fake cheeriness. That just annoys me, but I don't blame the workers themselves. I know it's the management that makes them do it. As long as they aren't pissing and moaning their way through work, I don't really see what the problem is.

This is what I desire as well. An acknowledgment of my presence (a nod or "hey" will do; anything to assure that the POS is aware this is a new transaction) and the quickest possible processing of my transaction. I'd take zero action if I had any faith that they would be starting a new POS transaction.

I feel very stressed by interaction. I wish we had badges like they distribute at Autreat, only these would let cashiers (and more importantly, their managers, who are the bastards responsible) know that fake smiles and social interaction are actually detracting from my customer experience.

And while they are at it, they will stop shelving olives with condiments, and put them in the canned/jarred food section where they SHOULD go.

We can all dream.

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 5:25 pm

Just started my job hunt. In all my jobs but the one in a basement working in archives I always got a bunch of garbage about being "Cheerful" and expressing myself in a cheerful manner. About smiling more and then when I do smile I'm told it looks fake and plasticky. I'm tired and don't care I just want a job where I can work and earn money. I dislike working with people but I promise the job will be done and done right the first time.

Element333
Raven
Raven

06 Apr 2010, 11:35 pm

Cheery people irritate me sometimes, and other times, like in a restaurant setting, I expect it. It depends on what kind of job you're looking for. I usually apply for computer-type jobs where I don't have to deal with people and no one notices if I'm cheerful or not (which about 99% of the time, I'm not). I keep to myself when I'm at work, so occasionally, when the annual reviews come around, the comments I usually get are, "Needs to improve people skills," and "Needs to communicate more effectively with coworkers." The usual.

E333

Oisin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Apr 2010, 2:14 pm

Every one has different stages of moods and can't always smilling and chat full. I was reprimanded for not being cheerful enough and not willing to talk at some early morning shift in a hospital.

RichardP

18 Apr 2010, 2:24 am

Ladarzak wrote:
discosizzle wrote:
How so?

I don't fit anywhere. Everywhere is distressing and confusing. It's either too noisy or smelly or crowded and quite often pointless or worse. I don't understand people, don't feel comfortable, try very hard to understand, fit in, listen, interact. No employer has been dissatisfied with my work, and yet I have never been able to find work that fits me. I just cope. I don't thrive. I'm not connected. I just exist.

I've felt much the same way throughout the 37 year working life and I have no answers. I'm touched by your story I wish there was some advice or referral I could give, some or any help which would tangibly help you, but all it seems I can do is suffer in silence apart but with you.

"The purpose of the physician is to entertain the patient whilst the disease runs its inevitable course." -Voltaire

Autism-Spectrum Quotient (AT) Test: 46

Broad Autism Phenotype Test: 132 aloof, 114 rigid, 99 pragmatic

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2010, 7:46 am

Oisin wrote:
Every one has different stages of moods and can't always smilling and chat full. I was reprimanded for not being cheerful enough and not willing to talk at some early morning shift in a hospital.

when I first started my last job, the same thing happened. After a while they just ended up realizing that if I dont see the point in doing it, I wont do it, then they just got off my case about it. Granted I worked in a kitchen and even helped man the registers a few times. Just the main way I freaked people out is the fact that I think out-loud. It sadly comes across as talking to yourself :/

as for me getting fired, that was because of 1 too many severe meltdowns which lead to terroristic threats and such.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/