Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ci
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 1:12 am

Tales wrote:
Like I said, the writer of the article is not me. My group of aspies in Singapore were also surprised that an NT counseller chose to speak up about it in here instead of the local newspapers. BTW the local newspapers are also controlled by the government. This ain't the US. Basically they dun see Wrongplanet as a threat, if it does I bet they will ban access to this site too. Just recently one of alternative political sites was gazetted by the govt.

Plus in Singapore, there is discrimination against Aspies in the insurance policies and employment.

If you live under such fear of being banned then it is a U.N issue. Organize a factual complaint about your concerns and have members here contact the U.N with option to paste and copy a generic letter. My specialty is not on international political affairs. Also with regards to insurance and employment discrimination be more specific.

Tales
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2011, 1:31 am

factual complaint? You mean we have members who have connections to the U.N?

ci
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 2:44 am

You don't really need contacts with the U.N to voice a concern.

My not knowing the political dynamics of your country means I cannot understand what your needing and not needing ultimately. Here in the U.S your beliefs toward the media may likely mean some kind of delusion but in other countries well it just might be true.

Tales
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2011, 3:38 am

I will explain our situation in Singapore later when I am more free. But just know that Aspies are not treated well in singapore and those who can leave the country have left.

Tales
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2011, 10:01 am

ci wrote:
You don't really need contacts with the U.N to voice a concern.

My not knowing the political dynamics of your country means I cannot understand what your needing and not needing ultimately. Here in the U.S your beliefs toward the media may likely mean some kind of delusion but in other countries well it just might be true.

Maybe to put it clearer, Aspies in Singapore are not protected by law against discrimination in job, insurance and education opportunities unlike in the US. so we have a big problem. My group has encountered Aspies who have lost their job, education opportunities when they reveal their condition. Also those who are forced to reveal it, find that it only bring them disaster more bullying.etc.

I set up my group so Aspies here in Singapore can have some "friends" in need whom they can talk to. But the stories I hear are more sadder than the last. But there are some success stories where the Aspie has survived education, conscription for males, society. But they are a rare find, more rarer than the snow leopard. Most of them are in a somewhat worse state. Aspies in Singapore unlike Aspies here who are so spontaneous, creative, Aspies in Singapore due to the environment in education, work, politics are not that spontaneous.

Singaporean Aspies on a whole are much less successful than their counterparts in the West.

They might be addicted to the same game for years, wasting their potential talents on useless computer games for example. They may not even know what wrongplanet or Facebook is!

Tales
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2011, 10:02 am

To quote a member on my forum. Here is our big picture of our situation here

Quote:
For a given population of Aspies in both countries, we should be able to expect a similar distribution of HFAs and LFAs. Therefore, it makes sense to blame the environment if Singapore Aspies on a whole are much less successful than their counterparts in the West.

1. More pressure to conform here. Study study study, chase piece of papers and then the 5Cs. Almost everything else is discouraged. Then comes NS. Hence, creativity is discouraged. This works against Aspies because that our thought process works differently. When used well, they often think of us as "creative".

In contrast, US society doesn't demand so much conformity in terms of all these. Where the pressure is stronger is in peer pressure to conform to certain lifestyles and fashion - something that Aspies can and often easily ignore. This allows Aspies more breathing space, but also can be more dangerous in terms of attacks and discrimination from others.

2. Discouragement of obsessive interests in the name of study. The comparative advantage that an Aspie has in the workplace over others is if their work is similar to their obsessive interest: discouraging it takes away our comparative advantage.

3. Disability mentality here. Here, it is sort of taught that is a disability - which leads to the victim and crutch mentality. The crutch mentality would be to think that the problem can't be solved and they are beyond hope, while the victim mentality would be to blame society for landing them in their current state.

Tales
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2011, 11:25 pm

Quote:
Well, I am an autistic Singaporean with bipolar disorder to boot.

You can imagine how hard it is for me to even get a job. The moment I declare my condition on a form, bye bye interview!

The worst period was NS, being in a combat unit. No I didn’t downgrade, not because I was hero, but I had no idea I had a problem! The awareness for such conditions came only much, much later.

After NS, I went to university and suffered a great deal socially, because as other people like me will attest, it feels like you have no idea why you’re having trouble in social situations. By the time I was diagnosed and all, I was already 30. After that I quit my civil servant job, but try as I might, no one wanted to hire someone with a ‘mental illness’. Never mind that I still could work, and I still could contribute and that I am generally a smart guy. My medical bills were insane. Every visit to a psychiatrist for medication and treatment sets you back at least 2-300 dollars. No, none of this is subsidised.

Naturally after a while I gave up getting treated because I couldn’t afford it. Nowadays I get by giving tuitions, and the money is pretty okay, but nothing fantastic. It is not that I am complaining my lot in life, but it hurts a lot being passed over just because people have a negative perception of those with autism, or those with bipolar.

I hope this perception changes. We are human too, and as capable as those who are considered ‘normal’.

Another comment by an autistic on this article

ci
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 11:53 pm

I think that what I am doing locally where I live which is creating an adaptive, accommodating and skills development environment with the support of the public is reasonable. People have stereotypes, don't look to the human spirit to include and well despite discrimination being a hidden thing I cannot find the absolute to in situations all the time it is a reasonable compromise. The integrity of such enterprises need to be secure but I highly suggest duplicating my model in other areas. By means of this model an area based inclusion framework can better facilitate human right integrations and adaptations.

http://www.autismcandles.com - nothing for sale online.

Tales
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2011, 8:22 pm

But is it a U.N issue if say we reveal our condition to employer and we get job discrimination? Revealing our autism doesn't get us banned but it will lead to a lifetime of discrimination and joblessness.

Undiagnosed and diagnosed cases in the military in Singapore which has conscription, tend to suffer bullying and in my group alone two of them have been expelled from the army becos they went suicidal. In Singapore, you are exempted from conscription, you will face more problems finding a job as the society looks down upon men who dun serve their 2 years in the military.

If say if members who wish to contact the UN want to help Aspies in Singapore, I say please go ahead but just be careful.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 8:49 pm

I think A.S is very mild autism or some will be dropped entirely with the new DSM revisions. I am having a hard time understanding if one can figure out how to do a job the military, have the coping skills and transitional tolerability for it why do they have a diagnoses in the first place. I suppose my kind of advocacy differs from your relevant concerns.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

Tales
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2011, 9:36 pm

I know but if declaration of your mental conditions will lead to joblessness, I must say that is not fair. Singapore's society unlike the US in my impression, is very discriminative of people with mental disabilities.

Anyone here who has links to the U.N perhaps?

ci
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 10:00 pm

America is similar but I heard Ireland is great for those with psychosis. Autism where I live is not viewed so much as a mental illness but can be confused with mental retardation. Part of my job is to show myself as a person with autism for awareness reasons and that I am capable of things. Even capable of helping people with major cognitive impairment. Autism however is viewed as a cognitive disability as well but is not the same as the severe mental cognitive impairment.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

Tales
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2011, 10:52 pm

I see but in the US they do not discriminate them from jobs right?

ci
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 10:59 pm

There is seldom a known absolute but yes I've seen business owners openly discriminate by calling us "the kids" and incapable of filing away videos in a video store. The control area of social experimentation is about to experience a year long psychosocial programming which I cannot explain in depth here.

Tales
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jan 2011, 12:58 am

But they overall are still hired and can hold a job right?

ci
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 1:13 am

The spectrum of disabilities in context is quite wide. Bias of providers servicing individuals with developmental disabilities for retention may hinder outcomes for reasons of profitability. A lack of proper public relations in the past 50-60 years has resulted in very little change. I am in charge of my areas inclusion campaign and set rules to better address inclusion bias in this psychosocial experiment. See a letter from my congressman.

http://www.compassionateintegrations.or ... mpson.html