Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 3:34 pm

Zeraeph wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
Zeraeph wrote:
If it's not broke, don't fix it.

That is not an argument to exclude vermontsavant. That's only an argument to keep Tallyman and Moog as moderators.

For HEAVEN'S SAKE Gedrene it just means "leave things exactly as they are because they are working".
:roll:

And not improve them further? I get exactly what you are saying, but you shouldn't have overconfidence in things being 'okay', or 'fine' or 'working'. Why not make them work better?

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 3:41 pm

Moog wrote:
If anyone could have gotten through to ci before things got too far beyond gone, that would have been good.

Moog, I tried to help him make intelligent arguments once. I actually did. I said: here ci, here's an argument that criticises ASAN and it makes complete sense. But he didn't take account of it. I just think he is so convinced of certain beliefs he has that he just wont listen to anyone else about any relevant criticism. This is a fault that quite a few people have on here...

Zeraeph
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 3:48 pm

Gedrene wrote:
Zeraeph wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
Zeraeph wrote:

That is not an argument to exclude vermontsavant. That's only an argument to keep Tallyman and Moog as moderators.

For HEAVEN'S SAKE Gedrene it just means "leave things exactly as they are because they are working".

And not improve them further? I get exactly what you are saying, but you shouldn't have overconfidence in things being 'okay', or 'fine' or 'working'. Why not make them work better?

On the other hand, why not just stay with my very own, freely formed, opinion that things are fine just as they are?

Yes, that is what I think i will do, stay with my own, actual, opinion.

:)

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 3:50 pm

You two act like you're married :P

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 3:52 pm

Moog wrote:

I hope to god that isn't foreshadowing, and I am an atheist.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 3:59 pm

Zeraeph wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
Zeraeph wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
Zeraeph wrote:

On the other hand, why not just stay with my very own, freely formed, opinion that things are fine just as they are?

Yes, that is what I think i will do, stay with my own, actual, opinion.

:)

I don't care whether you have an opinion or not Zeraeph or what opinion that is or whether it differs to mine, but why be complacent when one can improve? And that is not an opinion, that's just good intuition. Must I even point out the benefits of making something 'better'?

Criticizing what anyone says as not being a good reason is something anyone has the right to do, especially if it makes sense to say so.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 4:02 pm

@Gedrene and Zeraeph. There would be a certain irony if you both came to blows in this particular thread.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 4:04 pm

TallyMan wrote:
@Gedrene and Zeraeph. There would be a certain irony if you both came to blows in this particular thread.

My god, next we'll be exchanging wedding vows!
NOOOOOOO! I'M TOO YOUNG!

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 5:11 pm

Ci has been banned then?

AlanTuring
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2011, 5:50 pm

We've all had enough excitement for a very long time.

Everyone deserves some peace and quiet.

This thread is about vermontsavant, who wants to be a peacemaker.

Out of respect for him, I think the peace and quiet should start here.

Zeraeph
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 7:06 pm

Moog wrote:

I know Moog...it feels that way sometimes, but not as in "something that was my fault" more as in "something that was arranged by my parents without my consent and in breach of my civil rights". 8O

Zeraeph
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 7:11 pm

TallyMan wrote:

Tallyman, please withdraw that false and heinous accusation. :shameonyou: Gedrene and I never "come to blows" as you so, indelicately, put it, but rather I hold him at bay with the palm of my hand, and he flails his fists harmlessly for a little while... :P

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 9:47 pm

TallyMan wrote:
I don't know if you are serious or playing around. Either way, the only people who ever get picked for moderators on this site are conscripts. Anyone who asks to be a moderator is never chosen and you have effectively just barred yourself from such a position. It is a general principle of Alex the site owner - anyone who actively wants to become a moderator likely just wants the power and will consequently wield it for personal reasons rather than the good of the site. Not saying you would do so, but that is how Alex's selection process works.

This is common to many other websites, as well. The few times that I've been moderator did not work out well; I was either too heavy-handed or too lenient. Then again, it seems that no matter what a moderator does, someone is going to cry out "Unfair!" I do not envy a moderator's position as I once did before I was ever appointed. Coincidentally or not, all but one of the websites (and all of the dial-up BBSs) that I modded have left teh webz.

TallyMan wrote:
One point I will repeat so everyone is clear. If we see fighting / personal attacks going on we will suspend or ban ALL the members involved. We aren't going to get into any he/she started it first discussions.

That's common to military units, as well - one person screws up, and the whole platoon gets sent on a 20-mile hike ... or to the front.

TallyMan wrote:
Anyway, the mods have been taking a much more active role in this forum lately; we are sick of all the infighting that goes on here. We have made repeated warnings which were ignored resulting in the banning of several members. If the trouble continues more will be banned. Our patience is at an end.

Puppies, kitties and rainbows ... or else, right? ;)

In Mods We Trust

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 8:41 am

Zeraeph wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

Tallyman, please withdraw that false and heinous accusation. :shameonyou: Gedrene and I never "come to blows" as you so, indelicately, put it, but rather I hold him at bay with the palm of my hand, and he flails his fists harmlessly for a little while... :P

More like I give a differing opinion or challenge a hole in her argument and then Zeraeph has to rely on condescension and the insinuation that I was disallowing her an opinion by way of a reply, like the example above.

Zeraeph
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 9:06 am

Gedrene wrote:
More like I give a differing opinion or challenge a hole in her argument and then Zeraeph has to rely on condescension and the insinuation that I was disallowing her an opinion by way of a reply, like the example above.

Which, of course is a very posh way of saying:
"I hold him at bay with the palm of my hand, and he flails his fists harmlessly for a little while... " :P

Getting a bit quiet here without ci's videos so here is one just for Gedrene, to prove there are no hard feelings:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNyRU0fKHAY[/youtube]

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 9:20 am

Zeraeph wrote:
Which, of course is a very posh way of saying:
"I hold him at bay with the palm of my hand, and he flails his fists harmlessly for a little while... " :P

Gedrene wrote:

See what I mean? Even this last post. I don't know why you need to make that patronizing metaphor up either. Constant responses to faults in people's arguments is something anyone should do, even if the response they make amounts to vapid mockery. You're going to be treated no differently to ci in that regard.

So let's go to before you tried to make things personal: Why not make things better if you can? Or do you think your opinion is deserving of special protection and shouldn't be criticised? Which it isn't.

Last edited by Gedrene on 15 Sep 2011, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.