Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Should they or not keep seperate lables for AS and autism?
yes 64%  64%  [ 14 ]
no 36%  36%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 22

Poet_Morpheus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2011, 12:15 am

all i'm saying is whatever makes the dude act ret*d in physical characteristics and that he cant do anything for himself be cured. I was going to have genetics as my major in college but I changed to computer programming after I found out that a higher math was involved. so idk much and i'll ask a biology professor about it on monday or tuesday when I go back to class.

edit: an example of stricter diagnoses criteris would be that aspergers syndrome was defined as a "social disorder" so it should only have the social criteria with it.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 12:49 am

Poet_Morpheus wrote:
all i'm saying is whatever makes the dude act ret*d in physical characteristics and that he cant do anything for himself be cured. I was going to have genetics as my major in college but I changed to computer programming after I found out that a higher math was involved. so idk much and i'll ask a biology professor about it on monday or tuesday when I go back to class.

edit: an example of stricter diagnoses criteris would be that aspergers syndrome was defined as a "social disorder" so it should only have the social criteria with it.

That's pretty much what most people mean when they say they want a cure for autism; taking away the negative problems, not the person that underlies those problems, or anything positive about the individual. Those are the type of problems people are most concerned about, and they do occur in people with autism that do not have fragile X syndrome.

The simple answer is not to get a diagnosis, if one doesn't see their characteristics as disabling, and they can get by in life on their own. Particularly if one feels stigmatized by being associated with individuals that are more disabled by the diagnosis that one might receive.

It's the only way to control your own destiny, in regard to a diagnosis. The aspergers disorder defined in the DSMIV is going away and being replaced by one disorder with the three criteria intact, it doesn't appear like anything is going to change that, and it is completely under the control of the American psychiatric association, at least in the US.

Poet_Morpheus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2011, 2:25 pm

aghogday wrote:
It's the only way to control your own destiny, in regard to a diagnosis. The aspergers disorder defined in the DSMIV is going away and being replaced by one disorder with the three criteria intact, it doesn't appear like anything is going to change that, and it is completely under the control of the American psychiatric association, at least in the US.

They hadn't even passed the legislation for it so who knows if it will be or not.

So we are on the same page, please post your boarderline definition of autism as a video and I will say whether or not it is mental retardation or not and also let everyone else decide as well. Just find an individual case by case video.

Last edited by Poet_Morpheus on 12 Nov 2011, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 3:11 pm

Poet_Morpheus wrote:
aghogday wrote:

They hadn't even passed the legislation for it so who knows if it will be or not.

So we are on the same page, please post your boarderline definition of autism as a video and I will say whether or not it is mental retardation or not and also let everyone else decide as well. Just find an individual case by case video.

This is a proposed revision at this point in time in the DSMV. It's not legislation, it's only the psychiatrists that are involved in this that get the say so on what the finalized revision is. While people are welcome to provide input, people outside of the organization don't get a vote on the final revision.

You can't look at a person and determine whether or not they are mental ret*d. The only way to find this out is through an IQ test. Some of these individuals that cannot speak, rock back and forth, and bang their head on the wall, score into the normal intelligence ranges of IQ tests that don't score for verbal intelligence. Behavior or appearance is not a defining characteristic of intelligence.

An individual with cerebral palsy, in a wheel chair or Stephen Hawkins with ALS, in a wheel chair, might appear not to be intelligent, or perhaps mentally ret*d, but in both cases intelligence often is well above average.

In regard to autism the following link to this video sums it up pretty well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnylM1hI2jc

Poet_Morpheus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2011, 4:07 pm

This is a proposed revision at this point in time in the DSMV. It's not legislation, it's only the psychiatrists that are involved in this that get the say so on what the finalized revision is. While people are welcome to provide input, people outside of the organization don't get a vote on the final revision.
------------

You can't look at a person and determine whether or not they are mental ret*d. The only way to find this out is through an IQ test. Some of these individuals that cannot speak, rock back and forth, and bang their head on the wall, score into the normal intelligence ranges of IQ tests that don't score for verbal intelligence. Behavior or appearance is not a defining characteristic of intelligence.
-------------
As you have shown with hawking, appearance isn't everything, For the people that have done the IQ tests and still failed to the point of "there is no hope of them inderstanding anything" unless technology advances to the point where a computer fully understands what a person thinks and feels, then Idk what else you could possibley do to help them.

An individual with cerebral palsy, in a wheel chair or Stephen Hawkins with ALS, in a wheel chair, might appear not to be intelligent, or perhaps mentally ret*d, but in both cases intelligence often is well above average.
-------------
Cerebral palsy is a totally diffrent disability from the mentally ret*d. Hawking was able to speak for himself, even though a computer speaks for him. They gave him the technology to speak for himself and he was able use it to his advantage. My point is: he had the capability from the beginning to speak for himself.

In regard to autism the following link to this video sums it up pretty well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnylM1hI2jc
--------------
And who is translating for the kid? no one but his parents or family or some representitive. If the kid can't speak for himself then my point is proven. The representitve made the video.

The question now is: did the individual shown in the video specifically request the video be made on his behalf or did the representitve make it in an attept to show the individual had the capacity or capability to do so?

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 4:41 pm

aghogday wrote:

He asks for a borderline case and that's your answer? The guy stims like hell.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 5:05 pm

The kid in the video is a women in her late 20's. She posts here under the name of anbuend. You can do a search on her posts if you like here, and determine for yourself if you think you are smarter than she is. Not many non-verbal individuals post here, she is one of the very few, but you can learn alot about non-verbal autistics from her posts.

Last edited by aghogday on 12 Nov 2011, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 5:48 pm

aghogday wrote:
The kid in the video is a women in her late 20's. She posts here under the name of anbuend. You can do a search on her posts if you like here, and determine for yourself if you think you are smarter than she is. Not many non-verbal individuals post here, she is one of the very few, but you can learn alot about non-verbal autistics from her posts.
Yet not a borderline case. :/

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

12 Nov 2011, 6:25 pm

Poet_Morpheus wrote:
And who is translating for the kid? no one but his parents or family or some representitive. If the kid can't speak for himself then my point is proven. The representitve made the video.
I think you'll find that anbuend herself made the video. You'll see that it consists of fixed-location or hand-held, first-person shots only which were then edited together - video editing and subtitling software for home computers has been around for some time now.
Also, no-one is translating: she is using a text-to-speech unit and is speaking for herself.
Quote:
The question now is: did the individual shown in the video specifically request the video be made on his behalf or did the representitve make it in an attempt to show the individual had the capacity or capability to do so?
She did it much like anyone else would: thought about it, decided to make it and then made it.
I suggest you read read some of her posts here.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 6:41 pm

Gedrene wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Yet not a borderline case. :/

He was talking about where the boarder is for autism with mental retardation or autism without mental retardation, not autistic vs non-autistic. My point was you cannot discern this from autistic behavior.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 6:49 pm

i just read some of anbuend's posts.very good writing you wouldnt know she doesnt speak.hasnt posted since april though.

Poet_Morpheus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2011, 11:42 pm

I think you'll find that anbuend herself made the video. You'll see that it consists of fixed-location or hand-held, first-person shots only which were then edited together - video editing and subtitling software for home computers has been around for some time now.
Also, no-one is translating: she is using a text-to-speech unit and is speaking for herself.
----------------
My point exacltly, the person being filmed didn't make the video. I didn't say who the filmer was but I should've mad that clear when I had posted earlier. The "kid" I was refering to was the person being filmed and he doesn't have the capability to try and film the video.

No offense to Anbuend since she has the capability of making the vid.

He was talking about where the boarder is for autism with mental retardation or autism without mental retardation, not autistic vs non-autistic. My point was you cannot discern this from autistic behavior.
-----------------
if your trying to mix wording, then i'll make it more clearer. not autistic but severly ret*d people vs severly autistic people that give the impression of being ret*d.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 12:44 am

Wow some of this is rather disturbing, I don't think it is a good idea to screw around with peoples genetics in an attempt to weed out any abnormal people from being born, that seems a little extreme.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 1:11 am

Poet_Morpheus wrote:
----------------
My point exacltly, the person being filmed didn't make the video. I didn't say who the filmer was but I should've mad that clear when I had posted earlier. The "kid" I was refering to was the person being filmed and he doesn't have the capability to try and film the video.

No offense to Anbuend since she has the capability of making the vid.

-----------------
if your trying to mix wording, then i'll make it more clearer. not autistic but severly ret*d people vs severly autistic people that give the impression of being ret*d.

Anbuend is the person in the video. She presented the video on this website acknowledging that it was her. She also has provided many pictures of herself as well. The person in the video is not a kid or a male, it is Anbuend, a woman in her late twenties.

All you have to do is type the user name in the search function and you can read over the numerous posts that she has made here on this site.

She has been interviewed by CNN, is identified on wiki as a well known autistic activist; her excellent communication skills with using a computer are well known.

Your opinion seems to be that the individual, anbuend, in the video that is a non-verbal autistic person displaying autistic behavior does not have the mental capacity that the individual actually has.

This is a common stereotype of individuals that display overt autistic behavior, like rocking and stimming that may also be non-verbal. I invite you to read her posts and try to determine her functioning level. She has perfect grammar, spelling, and relates complex ideas well.

This is the whole point of her video, she is a person just like you and I, that deserves the same respect that you and I deserve, regardless of her overt behavior. It is best not even to judge a person's behavior as indicative of intelligence; there are many different disorders that cause unusual behavior in human beings that have nothing to do with intelligence.

By the grace of what may be, any of us can go out into our car, get into an accident caused by someone else, and live the rest of our lives in a nursing home totally disabled. Life's not fair, but we can be fair to other people that we don't see as fortunate as us and give them the respect due to them, as a human being.

I'm pretty sure everyone has their own idea of what ret*d is, from preconceived notions of what they have experienced in their life. But, there is no way to know for sure what a person's intelligence is by looking at them, observing their behavior, or attempting to talk to them; IQ tests don't fully measure intelligence either.

Autism is a disability, but even in cases where a person may not score high on an IQ test, cannot speak at all, or needs a great deal of support to survive, doesn't necessarily mean they cannot express intelligence, provided the proper adaptive means. And if they can't they still deserve the same respect any human being deserves.

Poet_Morpheus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2011, 1:16 am

ok, um what is your moral boundaries people? where would you say the the beginning of life starts, or what is the most lethal way you would kill a person?

i'm running outta questions. gonna have to close this topc soon unless someone wants to keep it up.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 2:51 am

Poet_Morpheus wrote:
ok, um what is your moral boundaries people? where would you say the the beginning of life starts, or what is the most lethal way you would kill a person?

i'm running outta questions. gonna have to close this topc soon unless someone wants to keep it up.

My opinion is the beginning of life is at the beginning of life, and since I have no desire to kill anyone, the second question doesn't apply to me.

Sounded like an abortion question at first, but I'm not quite sure why you would be interested in the most lethal way someone one would want to kill a person, since it's not something legal to do.

Regardless if one thinks it is is moral or not, you do it and get a hefty penalty from the criminal system. Not real healthy to think about stuff like that, and certainly not an appropriate topic on a public forum. Government authorities take note of that type of conversation, if they see it as a potential concern.