Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

cavendish
Raven
Raven

03 Jul 2012, 4:55 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
It seems to take me longer to process things mentally than most people, and yes it's certainly been noticed by others...not everyone is very understanding about it though.

You may very well be an introvert, and perhaps even an extreme one such as myself. There is no diagnosis for people such as me, no support structure of any kind besides an online discussion group, and certainly not a very active forum such as WP. If you are indeed an introvert, this may explain more of what has happened in your life than you or anyone else realizes. Have you ever taken the Myers-Briggs or other personality test? The results may show that you are an introvert after all.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 4:59 pm

Yeah, "slow brain" describes me pretty well. My neuropsych testing report says "processing speed is quite slow." I'm always figuring things out after the fact. I don't 'do' real-time very well at all.

cavendish
Raven
Raven

03 Jul 2012, 6:32 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Yeah, "slow brain" describes me pretty well. My neuropsych testing report says "processing speed is quite slow." I'm always figuring things out after the fact. I don't 'do' real-time very well at all.

Maybe you are also an introvert. Have you taken the Myers-Briggs or other tests ?

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 9:05 pm

Blownmind wrote:
RazorEddie wrote:
edgewaters wrote:
I'm a slow thinker but it's sort of like a racecar vs a tractor; a tractor will never win a Nascar race but its power in terms of tractive force is immense relative to a racecar, which has feeble tractive force.
LOL. I use a similar analogy - a big diesel engine vs petrol(gas). The diesel takes it's time getting up to speed but it has plenty of power once it does. Petrols rev much quicker but don't always have the steady power.

I read a similar one somewhere about the Aspergers mind; "My mind is like a train. It takes time to get it up to speed, but once it's racing nothing can stop it in its tracks. Unfortunatly it results in it being hard to change tracks at those speeds, and it takes time to slow down enough to change tracks."

That's an even better analogy ... I wonder if that's why so many of us seem to have a fascination with trains. I went absolutely crazy for them when I was young, but I always thought it was just situational - there was a track running by our house, out in the country, and one of the best exhibits at the Museum of Science and Tech (where I went quite a bit) was the steam locomotive exhibit, full size engines where you could go in the engineer's cab. Maybe there's more to it though.

phyrehawke
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jul 2012, 12:50 pm

Well this thread has certainly given me some food for thought over the past several days.
Blownmind...thank you so much for mentioning that Train analogy. That has been very helpful in figuring a major recurrent issue out in my life. :) My friends have been using "train language" about me for years. I specifically get compared to a freight train. It just never clicked with ME how like a train I can be in the area of accomplishing tasks...especially special interests where my momentum can really pick up. I am so slow to start/restart lately I am getting really irritated over petty derailments, or even potential derailments to the point I often won't start and harbor resentment. I knew I was doing it I just didn't have a concise way of putting it to explain what was going on. This fits. A good solution might be to get proactive and start "clearing the tracks" a lot better before I start something. That way the slow start will be more worth the effort and I will be less likely to have to start over multiple times to accomplish something, and happier and less frustrated with the whole process.

Cavendish...I had the full MBTI in 1990 and scored extreme introvert. I've had short retakes over the past 20 years and some of the other scores have shifted slightly but my introversion score never has. It seems that in the past several years maybe some attitudes or learning has changed about what introversion is? I bought an e-version of the book you recommended, and this is not like introversion as I was taught about it in college psych. Maybe I'll learn a thing or two?