Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 9:03 am

Paiz wrote:
How can I tell if I have PTSD?
I had a really neglectful and often psychologically abusive mother (dad was ok). I have flashbacks to her screaming at family members. I also have a flashback from when I was 5 or 6- I tried to hurt someone. Would I have given myself PTSD? Is that possible?

You can't give yourself PTSD and the flashbacks are a hallmark symptom of it. It's worth further investigation with a psychiatrist, Imo.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 9:05 am

kirayng wrote:
Paiz wrote:
I had a really neglectful and often psychologically abusive mother (dad was ok). I have flashbacks to her screaming at family members. I also have a flashback from when I was 5 or 6- I tried to hurt someone. Would I have given myself PTSD? Is that possible?

You can't give yourself PTSD and the flashbacks are a hallmark symptom of it. It's worth further investigation with a psychiatrist, Imo.

As far as I know its not something one can give them self, but one can certainly make it worse by doing nothing about it....Like I did, gets worse if you try and push it to the back of your mind, then you can't really do that much at all anymore either.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 9:35 am

Paiz wrote:

There are different possibilities:
1) you have PTSD because something happened there
2) you have trouble process this situation

I once had trouble processing some situations and had flash backs because of "little situations". I was stressed at this time and now calmed down I don't have those problems anymore.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2012, 6:41 pm

Not sure, but I have a strong feeling that I may have PTSD.

Issit
Raven
Raven

03 Oct 2012, 4:31 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Not sure, but I have a strong feeling that I may have PTSD.

THIS

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 7:31 pm

Yes to both P.T.S.D an AS